We should keep the separate Asperger's category

Page 5 of 8 [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 6:02 pm

anbuend, I just wanted to say I'm glad to see you posting here. I've read about you and learning about you has created a paradigm shift in my understanding of autism "functioning levels". I hope you keep writing.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 6:14 pm

Someone mentioned AS being a different subgroup because of lack of speech delay and higher verbal IQ. I really suspect the higher verbal IQ and lack of speech delay are part of the same thing. A few problems though. One is that a lot of people with speech delays or no speech might have higher verbal IQs if they were tested with some way of communicating their actual abilities. Not all but some. Because there are people with speech delays but excellent language comprehension. (And even people like Sue Rubin who had zero language comprehension for thirteen years but when she learned to type she switched over to really needing language and doing better at verbal tests than anything. And still can't speak communicatively.). And I know people dxed with AS who have massive language comprehension problems with no speech delay at all.

The other big problem I see is the privileging of a subgroup with good (or superficially good) speech and singling that out for a separate diagnosis. When there are other talents among autistic people that are not singled out and given a separate name. For instance there are a lot of autistics (me included) whose highest IQ test score is in Block Design and we are not singled out for a new name. Also many talents that do not show up on tests at all. And difficulties in certain respects as well (I often relate well to people with serious language comprehension trouble regardless of their diagnosis or speech abilities, for instance. And even more so if they have a specific cognitive profile I can recognize but that would be hard to test for -- good at patterns of certain kinds, bad at resolving sounds into words with meanings or sights into objects etc., and often experiencing huge shifts in abilities on a daily basis. But though we van recognize each other there is no special word for us. And if there was, there would have to be got every common pattern and then those in between the main clusters would be left out, hence not liking AS being considered special out of all subgroups.)

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 6:17 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
psychohist wrote:
anbuend wrote:
So... yeah. I am very not impressed by arguments that boil down to fleeing bigotry while throwing the rest of us to the wolves. There are better ways than that, ones that don't involve just slamming a door in our faces and running away as hard as you can.

So you want all of us to be thrown to the wolves with you. How noble.

And standing aside to watch others get eaten by those wolves is noble?

The same guy that is yelling "ret*d" out his car window is also likely the same one yelling me a "beaner" at me. I also don't correct him by pointing out that I'm actually Asian-american, since that would be saving myself by selling out others. Screw that (entire strategy).

To the wolves: "I am Sparticus."

I agree with this assessment regarding throwing ppl more severely affected to the wolves.

I might/might not fit the new criteria because my impairments are not across the board. They are in social and personal areas, not so much in the professional and superficial arenas (but they're bad enough in the places they occur that I still might meet the criteria...hard to say because they seem vague to me). My language skills are if anything above average when it comes to grammar, spelling, syntax, etc, but communicating emotion is hellaciously difficult for me and may still cost me my marriage. Still, to classify me as normal variation is to tell me I'm just weird, deal with it. Even the "subclinical" category kind of does that. What I worry more about is not so much me, I'm in my 40s and what's done is done, but I work with children with AS who are very much like me in that they do well academically but are miserable because of their deficits in interpreting the facial expressions and body language of others (I flunked that eye test big time), and in communication of their own emotions. It truly is a hidden disability for them, and these new classifications may make it more difficult for these intellectually normal/above normal children to obtain services they need to improve their quality of life (the more cynical side of me says that's the whole intent, to allow school districts and insurance companies to save money by making kids suffer).

So I say don't change it. It's not about fearing being "lumped in" with lower functioning ASD people. I personally don't give a rodent's gluteus maximus about that. It's about neglecting people, especially children, who are higher functioning by telling them they're "just weird" as I was told "back in the day".

Just my two cents.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 7:00 pm

I know people focus a lot on speech when it comes to autism; but I think maybe this focus is misplaced. Don't get me wrong--I still stand by my statement that teaching someone to communicate is the number-one autism education priority (as you can't make your own choices count if you can't tell people what you want)--but speech, as a diagnostic criterion, may not be fundamental at all.

Autistics, in general, have many characteristics that can differ from person to person. Some of these represent very significant impairment. Speech is one of them--but only one of them. Executive function is another. So is sensory processing. So is non-verbal communication. When we get better at doing brain scans on people, we'll probably find quantifiable differences between fMRIs that represent significant cognitive differences. The autistic brain develops in a unique way that tends to create both specialization and way-below-average deficits simultaneously.

Speech versus no speech seems like it might easily be just one manifestation of an underlying developmental process that can create superficially different results--not something that divides autism into two categories. How come we don't divide them based on who can get through a crowded supermarket without melting down? Or maybe based on who can draw realistically or write neatly? Maybe we want to differentiate based on who can get away from their special interest long enough to eat and sleep properly. Or maybe we want to divide down the middle based on the ability to do math, or the ability to move gracefully, or the ability to remember people's faces and respond to their expressions and gestures... Because, you know, there are verbal and non-verbal people in all those groups (and partly-verbal, too, to be complete, as there are quite a few people you couldn't clearly categorize there either).

We diagnose autism based on what we can observe. It would be nice to be able to fully define autistic traits based on how one thinks, rather than on one's behavior; but at the moment, we don't have a really good definition yet. And, even if we could, practical observations such as the ones a doctor or psychologist can make are much more useful for diagnosis.

The problem with using speech as a criterion is that we've been using it only because it's easy to observe. Other than that, there's no very good reason to use it. There are a lot of other dimensions along which autistic people could be measured, which differ just as dramatically as speech does. It's actually quite arbitrary to say, "These are different because speech is different," when many other things are different within those groups.

re. Wolves: A bit of socially appropriate echolalia--

Quote:
First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a communist;
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew;
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Besides, think about this: If you were indeed successful in disassociating yourself with whichever group of autistic people you didn't think were glamorous enough, and you got whatever you wanted, and they got treated like crap... how in the world could you ever live with yourself?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 7:22 pm

Callista wrote:
First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a communist;
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a trade unionist;
I remember something similar was said in a narrative of a story "Hangman" on Newgrounds.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 7:41 pm

Callista wrote:
Quote:

Indeed. And I would speak out when they came for the communists.

I would not have to become a communist to do so, however. Indeed, in the historical example that comes from, being a communist would have made one's speaking out less effective, not more effective.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 7:54 pm

Callista wrote:
I know people focus a lot on speech when it comes to autism; but I think maybe this focus is misplaced. Don't get me wrong--I still stand by my statement that teaching someone to communicate is the number-one autism education priority (as you can't make your own choices count if you can't tell people what you want)--but speech, as a diagnostic criterion, may not be fundamental at all.

Autistics, in general, have many characteristics that can differ from person to person. Some of these represent very significant impairment. Speech is one of them--but only one of them. Executive function is another. So is sensory processing. So is non-verbal communication. When we get better at doing brain scans on people, we'll probably find quantifiable differences between fMRIs that represent significant cognitive differences. The autistic brain develops in a unique way that tends to create both specialization and way-below-average deficits simultaneously.

Speech versus no speech seems like it might easily be just one manifestation of an underlying developmental process that can create superficially different results--not something that divides autism into two categories. How come we don't divide them based on who can get through a crowded supermarket without melting down? Or maybe based on who can draw realistically or write neatly? Maybe we want to differentiate based on who can get away from their special interest long enough to eat and sleep properly. Or maybe we want to divide down the middle based on the ability to do math, or the ability to move gracefully, or the ability to remember people's faces and respond to their expressions and gestures... Because, you know, there are verbal and non-verbal people in all those groups (and partly-verbal, too, to be complete, as there are quite a few people you couldn't clearly categorize there either).

We diagnose autism based on what we can observe. It would be nice to be able to fully define autistic traits based on how one thinks, rather than on one's behavior; but at the moment, we don't have a really good definition yet. And, even if we could, practical observations such as the ones a doctor or psychologist can make are much more useful for diagnosis.

The problem with using speech as a criterion is that we've been using it only because it's easy to observe. Other than that, there's no very good reason to use it. There are a lot of other dimensions along which autistic people could be measured, which differ just as dramatically as speech does. It's actually quite arbitrary to say, "These are different because speech is different," when many other things are different within those groups.

Quote:

Besides, think about this: If you were indeed successful in disassociating yourself with whichever group of autistic people you didn't think were glamorous enough, and you got whatever you wanted, and they got treated like crap... how in the world could you ever live with yourself?

I think these are valid points and makes me wonder again if the experts who are making this decision are spending enough time asking for input from the autistic community.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 8:01 pm

Well put, Anbuend.

OddDuckNash99 wrote:
The very fact that AS individuals don't have a speech delay says SOMETHING about there being a different brain development for that condition. Plus, clumsiness and higher VIQ found in many AS individuals needs to be studied further.

I had a speech delay as a child. I caught up later, and my verbal IQ now ceilings out the normal tests. The "speech" distinction between autism and AS is arbitrary and meaningless.

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
psychohist wrote:
anbuend wrote:
So... yeah. I am very not impressed by arguments that boil down to fleeing bigotry while throwing the rest of us to the wolves. There are better ways than that, ones that don't involve just slamming a door in our faces and running away as hard as you can.

So you want all of us to be thrown to the wolves with you. How noble.

And standing aside to watch others get eaten by those wolves is noble?

The same guy that is yelling "ret*d" out his car window is also likely the same one yelling me a "beaner" at me. I also don't correct him by pointing out that I'm actually Asian-american, since that would be saving myself by selling out others. Screw that (entire strategy).

To the wolves: "I am Sparticus."

+1. To run away and save ourselves from the stigma while leaving the rest of the spectrum to fend for themselves is cowardice.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 8:03 pm

Aimless wrote:
I think these are valid points and makes me wonder again if the experts who are making this decision are spending enough time asking for input from the autistic community.

No, they assume we are subjects to be studied and would not likely bother asking our opinions.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 9:49 pm

I am a parent of a young child of almost 5 on the spectrum. I am not sure if he has Asperger's or not. He fits some of the criteria----clumsiness, special interests, no real big speech delay. He doesn't care if his routine is broken, and he doesn't speak like a "little professor"

My concern is that he has been placed in special needs pre-k with other children that are more severely affected. While he is verbal and is speaking in full sentences and is able to have a small conversation, the majority of his class is nonverbal and screams a lot or makes a lot of noises. There is a definite distinction in the way they present themselves.

Now don't get me wrong. My heart goes out to these children and their families, and I am not saying that my son is better or not autistic. But my concern is that I am not sure how much he is learning by not being around children that are at least verbal.

I think that there has to be a way to classify the different levels in order for educators and therapists to know what they are dealing with.

Just my thoughts!! !!

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 10:12 pm

If you're worried that he's ready to learn things his classmates aren't ready for, and consequently not being taught, then you've got every right to ask for him to be moved to a different placement. As in, legal right. Make a nuisance of yourself if you have to.

This isn't an Asperger's/Autism labeling problem, though; it's more global than that. Most education systems attempt to standardize their curricula; and when they get kids who can't be standardized--that would be special ed, gifted/talented, and the twice-exceptional combination of the two--the system pretty much breaks down. Some schools simply won't admit that the standardization doesn't work on kids who aren't close to the average; and when they don't admit that, you get kids all in the same class with totally different ability levels being taught the same thing, so the advanced kids are bored and the delayed ones are left behind. Applying it to special ed is even worse, because not only do you have kids who are either behind or ahead, you have kids who are simultaneously both. Teaching kids in the same classroom with different educational goals depending on the kid works fine, if it's done right; but if they try to teach everybody the same thing, nobody really benefits.

So yeah. Talk to the school. Make sure they're actually teaching your boy something useful. Special education is supposed to be education, not just a place to put kids that don't fit into the regular system.

Worst comes to worst, you can home-school. School is exhausting; kids are cruel; and if you can't take it, you're called a "behavior problem". But then again, many school systems have been scared straight by mamma bears looking out for their disabled kids.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 12:00 am

pensieve wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
What we should do is to raise awareness of the fact that a person's intrinsic worth is not determined by their functioning level.

That's going to be a lot harder than changing the current autism stereotype, but I agree, that's something that needs to be changed.

Difficulty is no reason not to try; in fact, I think that the more difficult something is, the sooner it should be attempted. Earlier starts give more time.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 1:57 am

Orwell wrote:
We need to get rid of the stigma around autism then. I think "Asperger's" is a stupid name, and besides that it is not scientifically accurate to regard them as separate conditions. Autism itself, if we wish to really be accurate, is not at all a distinct condition that can be separated from normal human functioning except by the intensity of certain traits.

Think of it like height. Humanity is not divided into "giants," "midgets," and "normal people." Likewise, we are not divided into NT, Aspie, and Autistic. There is a gradation of characteristics. At some point we subjectively draw the line and say that this person is short and that person is tall. But is there any fundamental difference? No. It is a difference of degree, not of kind.

Putting AS into autism just stigmatizes AS. The stigma comes from the really LFA and CDD people that are in the autistic spectrum. You CAN'T remove the LFA, and MANY psychiatrists INSIST on misdiagnosing CDD!

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 9:04 am

Callista wrote:
If you're worried that he's ready to learn things his classmates aren't ready for, and consequently not being taught, then you've got every right to ask for him to be moved to a different placement. As in, legal right. Make a nuisance of yourself if you have to.

This isn't an Asperger's/Autism labeling problem, though; it's more global than that. Most education systems attempt to standardize their curricula; and when they get kids who can't be standardized--that would be special ed, gifted/talented, and the twice-exceptional combination of the two--the system pretty much breaks down. Some schools simply won't admit that the standardization doesn't work on kids who aren't close to the average; and when they don't admit that, you get kids all in the same class with totally different ability levels being taught the same thing, so the advanced kids are bored and the delayed ones are left behind. Applying it to special ed is even worse, because not only do you have kids who are either behind or ahead, you have kids who are simultaneously both. Teaching kids in the same classroom with different educational goals depending on the kid works fine, if it's done right; but if they try to teach everybody the same thing, nobody really benefits.

So yeah. Talk to the school. Make sure they're actually teaching your boy something useful. Special education is supposed to be education, not just a place to put kids that don't fit into the regular system.

Worst comes to worst, you can home-school. School is exhausting; kids are cruel; and if you can't take it, you're called a "behavior problem". But then again, many school systems have been scared straight by mamma bears looking out for their disabled kids.

Great post. This is the kind of thing I worry about when they talk about eliminating AS from the manual and just kind of lumping everyone together. It's really NOT about stigma. I don't *care* about stigma, except to eliminate it from the face of the earth, for me and for the LFA person who can't live independently. We BOTH deserve to live free of stigma, just by virtue of being human beings who have committed no crime.

I am one of the mamma bears who scared a school system straight that way. My middle child has ADHD and though not officially diagnosed at this time probably has AS as well. They tried to expel her in 5th grade for....get this...drawing pictures of her prima donna teacher in a frying pan. Turns out this teacher had done things like dump her out of her chair onto the floor. I'd say I'd have reacted MUCH more unacceptably than that at her age. I was actually PROUD of the way she handled it. I took on the principal and the school psychologist armed with all sorts of data from the literature so that they could NOT say it was unrelated to her disability (she already had an IEP which they were not following) and told them if they didn't fix it they'd be in court. She got transferred to another school which *did* implement her IEP and had not a lick of trouble since then.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

LipstickKiller
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Mar 2010, 11:00 am

Meow101 wrote:
Callista wrote:

Great post. This is the kind of thing I worry about when they talk about eliminating AS from the manual and just kind of lumping everyone together. It's really NOT about stigma. I don't *care* about stigma, except to eliminate it from the face of the earth, for me and for the LFA person who can't live independently. We BOTH deserve to live free of stigma, just by virtue of being human beings who have committed no crime.

I am one of the mamma bears who scared a school system straight that way. My middle child has ADHD and though not officially diagnosed at this time probably has AS as well. They tried to expel her in 5th grade for....get this...drawing pictures of her prima donna teacher in a frying pan. Turns out this teacher had done things like dump her out of her chair onto the floor. I'd say I'd have reacted MUCH more unacceptably than that at her age. I was actually PROUD of the way she handled it. I took on the principal and the school psychologist armed with all sorts of data from the literature so that they could NOT say it was unrelated to her disability (she already had an IEP which they were not following) and told them if they didn't fix it they'd be in court. She got transferred to another school which *did* implement her IEP and had not a lick of trouble since then.

~Kate

Happy to hear it, congratulations. I anticipate occasional trouble for my HFA son and although I'm bad at manipulating people into giv ing me what I want (i.e what he needs) I can argue down most people with pure logic and obsessive learning of facts and rules.

As far as the diagnosis goes, I prefer autism over AS. AS is interpreted as a learning disability by many. I have no problems learning, but I don't do well with friends and I can feel terribly anxious about minor things. I think people will understand better if I say I'm mildly autistic.

That being said, I won't go public about my diagnosis until I feel fairly secure I can stay employed when I'm out. But I think in academia, people will be more accepting.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 11:30 am

psychohist wrote:
If anything, we should do the opposite of eliminating the "Asperger's" category. We should expand Asperger's to include high functioning autism, and leave "autism" to include low functioning autism only. Then us aspies, from a position within mainstream society, will actually have a chance of making things better for the remaining auties as well.

And why not to expand Asperger´s to include ALL autism specturm (renaming it Asperger Spectrum Disorder) and simply abandoning the word "autism"?