i thought aspies have high iq................

Page 5 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 10:04 pm

MizLiz wrote:
tinmaiden wrote:
Being good at math and being terrible at math are both associated with AS, depending on what you read. I think what makes both of them stereotypes is the tendency for individuals with AS to either be VERY good or VERY bad at things, and not a lot in-between.

I thought that there was something indicative of autistic spectrum disorders (or maybe this was pervasive developmental disorders in general) on IQ tests. Like, there would be a gap in the scores on verbal and perceptual IQ. Your combined IQ might be really high, but your perceptual could be low (making you bad at math) and your verbal would be really high (making you likely to be a polyglot), or your verbal would be really low (meaning you might have language difficulties) and your perceptual would be really high (making you some kind of math genius).

There's like a 40-odd gap between my verbal and perceptual (verbal's higher). The overall IQ is still high and I'm not terrible at math, but it's always been the subject I've done the worst in.

Strange, my perceptual IQ is not that good and I am quite smart in math. I don't see what visual perception could have to do with math. Or maybe I'm not as good in it that I thought to be. :(

Mosaicofminds
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Mar 2010, 8:59 pm

Quote:
Strange, my perceptual IQ is not that good and I am quite smart in math. I don't see what visual perception could have to do with math. Or maybe I'm not as good in it that I thought to be. Sad

Tollorin, it's actually a pretty common finding in psychology research: math is based on an intuitive "number sense" which is found in babies and some animals, and is located in areas of the brain that process visual-spatial information. An example study can be found here: doi:10.1038/nature07246 There's also something about it in the most recent issue of Scientific American Mind. Hope this helps.

SilentScream
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Mar 2010, 9:49 am

au wrote:
i thought aspies have high iq................

Not necessarily, there are aspies with Down's Syndrome.

ASgirl
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Mar 2010, 12:22 pm

i do very well academic but i am not talented in any way. i did 12 gcse's and physics, chemistry and biology were my worst subjects.