This changes EVERYTHING for me, I have lots of hope now !

Page 5 of 13 [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 5:44 pm

gator_fan wrote:
Your technical arguments don't mean a thing.

You sure you have Aspergers? :lol:

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 5:55 pm

gator_fan wrote:
I really am not getting what most of the replies are getting at. My point about side effects were that there is possibly less reason to be scared to try this stuff. Whether or not it has side effects remains to be seen but right now I'm not experiencing any.

You guys are really argumentative, and yeah I'm being general.

Be skeptical, sure, what I am saying must seem to be really out there, but what do you have to lose in trying what worked for me.

You know what, if you don't care to try it then don't try it.

But then maybe if you have no interest in what worked for me you shouldn't be participating in this thread. Don't you have something better to do ? Your technical arguments don't mean a thing.

Either it works for you or it doesn't or you are too (fill in the blank) to bother trying it.

We are not argumentative. We are precise. Part of this is just spectrumitis. We are on the spectrum and have very specific ways of thinking. I'm surprised that you find this surprising.

I don't understand why you find it so annoying that we ask for a clearly reasoned presentation of your facts. You seem to be switching modalities from anecdotal ("this worked for me you should try it") to one that is somewhat more structured and rational (when you start using words like adaptogenic)

You seem to think we are arguing just for the sake of arguing. That is not the case. You are presenting something that may or may not be of use to people on the spectrum but you don't seem to be willing to deal with the skepticism of people that have repeatedly run into scams and snake oil salesmen. If the last 50 people that came to this forum with some herbal "cure" were scammers and then you come along, why would we assume you are NOT a scammer? Previous experience would suggest that you are just number 51. You may in fact NOT be a scammer, but railing on us because that was our first reaction is tantamount to saying that we should not let experience play a role in our responses.

Ultimately, you need to decide your tack. Either you are going to leave it at "this worked for me - try it, maybe it will work for you" and maybe some will try it. Or you are going to attempt to offer some empirical argument that this stuff works and then be subject to the type of analysis that an empirical argument invites.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

06 Jan 2011, 7:07 pm

gator_fan wrote:
You guys are really argumentative
No, we're not.
There's a massive difference between mindlessly countering an assertion and a discussion in which reasons are advanced for and against some proposition or proposal.

Quote:
Your technical arguments don't mean a thing.
Yes, they do.
It's odd that you think taking a drug doesn't merit some sort of technical detail.

And it's that last word - detail - on which this all hangs.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 7:16 pm

Cornflake wrote:
gator_fan wrote:
No, we're not.

:lmao:

Ok Ok I shaved off your qualifying statement right after that. But I really did burst out laughing when I read that.

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 7:23 pm

gator_fan wrote:
But then maybe if you have no interest in what worked for me you shouldn't be participating in this thread. Don't you have something better to do ? Your technical arguments don't mean a thing.

Either it works for you or it doesn't or you are too (fill in the blank) to bother trying it.

gator_fan wrote:
This is the main thing I notice, that is, the "calming effect"

But all you are saying is that this tea (that your wife gave you for Christmas) makes YOU feel "calm." Lots of activities, and drugs, make people feel "calm."

gator_fan wrote:
... when I first wake up in the morning and haven't had any Jiaogulan I feel like a nervous wreck (which would be my "normal" abnormal condition).

Perhaps you have an addictive personality disorder?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

06 Jan 2011, 7:37 pm

Janissy wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
gator_fan wrote:
No, we're not.

Ok Ok I shaved off your qualifying statement right after that. But I really did burst out laughing when I read that.

You really don't understand what we're about, do you? :roll:

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 7:46 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Janissy wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
gator_fan wrote:
No, we're not.

I know you were being perfectly serious. The sentence right after makes that perfectly clear. With that sentence shaved off it becomes what is a classic joke, found in many stand-up routines.

Oh never mind.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

06 Jan 2011, 7:55 pm

Janissy wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Janissy wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
gator_fan wrote:
No, we're not.

I know you were being perfectly serious. The sentence right after makes that perfectly clear. With that sentence shaved off it becomes what is a classic joke, found in many stand-up routines.

Yep. it's unfortunate that what I said had to be mutilated in order to make it, though. :roll:

Quote:
Oh never mind.
:lol:

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 7:55 pm

Janissy wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Janissy wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
gator_fan wrote:
No, we're not.

Oh never mind.

I don't think it's very funny. It reminds me of when I tried to explain part of my way of thinking and learning to a professional who'd asked, and she didn't believe me, and I argued and she just said I argued everything just for the sake of arguing. Just because I didn't fit her narrow theories about people with my (at the time, mis)diagnosis. :roll: I've been touchy about the "you're just being argumentative" argument ever since.

...And I wasn't even involved in this discussion at all. Um. Carry on. :D

NOT A DOCTOR

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

06 Jan 2011, 8:15 pm

DandelionFireworks wrote:
I don't think it's very funny.
No - neither did I, really. It was cheap and unimaginative, but I think gator_fan is trying to make some sort of a point - and failing.

Quote:
(...) she just said I argued everything just for the sake of arguing.
I hate when that happens. It always seems to me like it's some sort of knee-jerk reaction, made because they're out of their depth - and the only remaining action is to suppress further discussion.

Quote:
...And I wasn't even involved in this discussion at all. Um. Carry on. :D
:lol: Thanks for stopping by!

gator_fan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jan 2011, 5:25 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
gator_fan wrote:
I really am not getting what most of the replies are getting at. My point about side effects were that there is possibly less reason to be scared to try this stuff. Whether or not it has side effects remains to be seen but right now I'm not experiencing any.

You guys are really argumentative, and yeah I'm being general.

Be skeptical, sure, what I am saying must seem to be really out there, but what do you have to lose in trying what worked for me.

You know what, if you don't care to try it then don't try it.

We are not argumentative. We are precise. Part of this is just spectrumitis. We are on the spectrum and have very specific ways of thinking. I'm surprised that you find this surprising.

I don't understand why you find it so annoying that we ask for a clearly reasoned presentation of your facts. You seem to be switching modalities from anecdotal ("this worked for me you should try it") to one that is somewhat more structured and rational (when you start using words like adaptogenic)

You seem to think we are arguing just for the sake of arguing. That is not the case. You are presenting something that may or may not be of use to people on the spectrum but you don't seem to be willing to deal with the skepticism of people that have repeatedly run into scams and snake oil salesmen. If the last 50 people that came to this forum with some herbal "cure" were scammers and then you come along, why would we assume you are NOT a scammer? Previous experience would suggest that you are just number 51. You may in fact NOT be a scammer, but railing on us because that was our first reaction is tantamount to saying that we should not let experience play a role in our responses.

Ultimately, you need to decide your tack. Either you are going to leave it at "this worked for me - try it, maybe it will work for you" and maybe some will try it. Or you are going to attempt to offer some empirical argument that this stuff works and then be subject to the type of analysis that an empirical argument invites.

I don't think you are necessarily arguing just for the sake of arguing, well...maybe some of you are, but the fact is that i am talking about a simple drink, not removing an organ.

The type of response doesn't make sense considering what is required. And I don't benefit from this.

The response seems more like an exercise in debate. Yeah, there are probably a lot of holes in my argument if you look for them.

But I never read anywhere that this stuff has an application for A/S, this is totally MY experience. Where would I get this from, why would I make something up that seems improbable. At least it seemed improbable to me.

Its not about tack. You are barking up the wrong tree by questioning my writing style. Who cares. I either seem reasonable and perhaps even honest or what I write looks like something more like a shyster looking to hook you.

Its about a cost benefit analysis and/or whether or not I have I enough credibility in my writings or you have enough trust in me that you are willing to spare the small cost.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 7:50 am

gator_fan wrote:
I don't think you are necessarily arguing just for the sake of arguing, well...maybe some of you are, but the fact is that i am talking about a simple drink, not removing an organ.

The type of response doesn't make sense considering what is required. And I don't benefit from this.

Some my be arguing for the fun of it, but you surely realize that we each have a PERSONAL stake in this since we are on the spectrum. For some, the symptoms of autism are severe enough that this is just as important an an organ replacement.

Quote:
The response seems more like an exercise in debate. Yeah, there are probably a lot of holes in my argument if you look for them.

Looking for hole is what we do. It's an exhibition of Aspergian pedantry.

Quote:
But I never read anywhere that this stuff has an application for A/S, this is totally MY experience. Where would I get this from, why would I make something up that seems improbable. At least it seemed improbable to me.

I will not even suggest that your experience was wrong or in any way invalid. If this herbal preparation helps you, that's cool. Speaking for myself alone, all your experience does is make me curious. But my personal approach to such things is to examine then in some detail. I don't reject your experience. I just need more than that.

Quote:
Its not about tack. You are barking up the wrong tree by questioning my writing style. Who cares. I either seem reasonable and perhaps even honest or what I write looks like something more like a shyster looking to hook you.

Your writing style is fine. By tack, I mean your choice of stance in presenting your experience. You are giving us your experience (which I have no problem with) but also adding in a few sprinkles of information that would lend some objective weight to that. Once you start down the road of presenting evidence that would presume to have some basis in science, it leaves you open to strict analysis by us science freaks.

Quote:
Its about a cost benefit analysis and/or whether or not I have I enough credibility in my writings or you have enough trust in me that you are willing to spare the small cost.

You take it too personally. The cost/benefit analysis has nothing to do with the way you write or who you are. Initially, credibility was a factor because your first posts to this forum mirrored that of so many other spammers that it was logical to place you in that category. You ran into a buzz saw of skepticism. That skepticism has NOTHING to do with you personally. It is an artifact of all the douche bags that have come before you. You have stuck it out, a good sign that you are not a spammer, and even are participating in other threads (again, not spammer behavior). But there are those of us here that will jump on psuedo-science like attack dogs. You can't take that from us, any more than we can tell you your experience with this tea is false. So if you present your experience, that's cool. If you present your experience with a pseudoscience rationale, you will get called on it every time. And not just you. ANYONE that puts something up with pseudo-scientific "facts" will get an earful.

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 11:28 am

wavefreak58 wrote:

Quote:

Looking for hole is what we do. It's an exhibition of Aspergian pedantry.

The fact that you don't understand this, and didn't expect it, makes me seriously doubt your own diagnosis.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

07 Jan 2011, 11:40 am

Yep. What wavefreak58 and MidlifeAspie said.

But just to re-echo this part: "That skepticism has NOTHING to do with you personally."
Exactly - and how could it? None of us knows you.

gator_fan

18 Jan 2011, 8:37 am

Update

Everything is pretty much the same. I found some much cheaper sources for the tea both in dried form (similar in ways but not identical to my first source) and in tea bags (not really similar at all and I still haven't made up my mind whether I like this version of it). So cost is no longer a big concern (though I would have been willing to keep shelling out the relatively big bucks if I had no alternative).

Anyways, life seems easier than before although i have to admit I am getting used to it so it doesn't seem as noticeable. I wouldn't suggest that I don't display A/S tendencies anymore, far from it. The way I would describe it currently is that I suffer less from anxiety, worrying, overthinking and I'm generally easier to get along with. I'm still not a people person and I would prefer to be alone and concentrate on my own activities but perhaps with a lot less intensity and a huge drive/need to reach my goals. So I would say there is a lot more "don't take life so seriously" and "go with the flow" in me.

I know it isn't my imagination - some proof would be that I sleep like a baby where I was a poor sleeper before and always woke up without any groginess which I believe to be abnormal.

So I am now groggy, really look forward to sleeping and try to sneak in extra sleep time in the morning (like most people).

One other thing is that the tea doesn't work that great all the time and I still have bad moments and bad hours here and there but I don't think I have had any really bad days.

Right now I had a cup about an hour ago and I feel like a million bucks and more in tune with the universe.

BTW, I am not a D/Bag and I still find the comments on here surprisingly negative. i am simply being very honest

Maybe my A/S isn't the same as other persons and its different for everyone. But to what extent ?

I am joining a local A/S social group for meetings and by meeting others and talking I will get a feel for whether I am the same as others. i also plan on asking my doctor about getting assessed.

I just can't see myself as not having A/S because for me it explains everything about my strange combinations of strengths and weaknesses.

As I have found out recently, I am far from typical.

i will stop rambling now and see what others have to say.

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 10:04 am

Thanks for sharing your story. Sounds like a lot of personal detail. Spammers give links and names and websites. You just said a generic tea. What is in it? Active ingredient? Do you know? I'm curious.

If it calms nerves and helps sleep I will try it. It's just a bag of tea. I'm not going to go broke over it. NT or AS everyone needs a nice cup of tea sometimes.

I think the reaction you got was partly because some people thought you were talking about a cure. I didn't interpret what you wrote that way. You just said it made you calmer that's all.

Oh - according to this site it can have potentially dangerous side effects in some people. This is something anyone thinking about trying it should be aware of. Or talk to their physician about it first.

http://www.ehow.com/list_5839102_side-e ... n-tea.html