Do some words/phrases make you cringe?

Page 5 of 10 [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2011, 4:56 pm

b9 wrote:
most times i hear that said, the sayer does not pronounce the "t" and when they say "gutted", it is like they say "guh" and then they choke their throat off for a tic and then they say "Ed" in a sharp way. i do not know how to explain it but i do not like it.

That, my friend, is a glottal stop :)

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2011, 5:09 pm

I do gag at the sound of 'You look lovely'.
Have actually shouted at people because of this,

whiterat
Toucan
Toucan

21 Sep 2011, 11:33 pm

For me it's "shower with presents".

In the past I have received presents which I didn't like/couldn't find any use for, but didn't want to throw out/give away immediately because it was something somebody made the effort to at least wrap up and give me. Hence I am very careful when I choose a present for somebody. There have been years when I couldn't think of what to give a friend for their birthday, and just wished them Happy Birthday with a card, a text message or a Facebook post.

The phrase "shower with presents" makes me think of people spending lots of money, to buy lots of presents, to give them to another person in a short space of time, only to have the receiver eventually throw/give the presents away.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 12:02 am

I'm not fond of the word "feces." I know it's medical convention, but there are so much better words out there for poop! ex: poo, droppings, dung, turd, log, leavings, scat... okay SCAT is DEFINITELY the best word for poo I can think of. I think we should all just call it scat from now on.

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 12:06 am

When I was in high school, my dad said "these are the best years of your life" and it drove me insane!
I hate that phrase so much!
First off, high school was NOT the best moment of my life. In fact it might've been one of the worst. It was when I had to move in with my step-mother and be constantly put down by her. I was even driven to cut myself.
Secondly, don't tell me when I'm supposed to be enjoying myself and when I'm not! I may not always have control over my emotions, but they're still mine and not yours. If I'm not happy then I'm not, and if I am then I am.
And third, just because high school might've been the best time of your life, doesn't mean it'll be the best time for others. Some of us might have the best time in their 30's or even their 80's.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 12:32 am

oh yeah! I have another one!

I hate it when I am at a family gathering eating food and my relatives feel the need to say things like, "Even though you're 25, ya still look like you're thirteen, but that's alright! Life stinks for you now with men probably, but just wait till you're forty! Then you'll be thankful!"

No I won't! I'll just be a miniature forty-year-old!
I mean, am I supposed to lie and tell unassuming young men that I am twenty at that point or something?
Creeeeeepy,... especially since by then I will have hopefully married my current boyfriend.

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 12:45 am

Fern wrote:
I hate it when I am at a family gathering eating food and my relatives feel the need to say things like, "Even though you're 25, ya still look like you're thirteen, but that's alright! Life stinks for you now with men probably, but just wait till you're forty! Then you'll be thankful!"

Funny thing, when I was 17 everyone thought I was 21 and when I was 21 everyone thought I was 17.

K3inMitl3id
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2011, 3:01 am

I hate it when women call their husbands "hubbies."

It makes it seem like the wives treat their husbands as pets.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 3:30 am

The word "ret*d" and anything making fun of people with intellectual disabilities.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term therapists - that I am an anxious and highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder.

My diagnoses - social anxiety disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

whalewatcher
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Sep 2011, 3:46 am

I cringe in two ways:

1) Sensory - I can't stand little crunching, rustling, popping noises so words that have a similar effect can really annoy me. Ticky-tacky little words and phrases. 'Top-up' sets my teeth on edge.

2) Pointless phrases that people here in Britain use as a sort of conversational padding. 'In all fairness', and 'obviously' are in vogue at the moment.

Oh yes - when people pronounce latte as 'Lar-tay', that makes me grit my teeth.

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 3:52 am

I like the word "ret*d" for some things, like AS. Because it means "slower," not "incapable of." Besides, I use retarders in screen printing all the time, they are incredibly useful.

The word "gorgeous" makes me shudder. Just the sound of it. Well, maybe the implications as well.

Likewise "falling in love," like one has involuntarily toppled off a cliff. Sounds more like infatuation than love, to me.

The word "Asperger's" makes me cringe, as well. Sounds like an STD.

And, although I'm a big fan of cliches (Aesop's fables was one of my first books at age 4) and contractions ("janky," "gianormous" and "skeezy" are personal favorites) ... "guesstimates" give me the willies.

Charges
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2011, 8:50 am

K3inMitl3id wrote:
I hate it when women call their husbands "hubbies."

It makes it seem like the wives treat their husbands as pets.

OH, GOODNESS YES. The word is nauseating.

I also just remembered that I despise the word "woot" and a number of the words that rhyme with it.

retrom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Sep 2011, 12:01 pm

I'm sure theres some but I just can't think of any right now except "partner". Especially when it's used by straight people. I can understand a gay guy not wanting to say boyfriend and make his gayness obvious, but a wife calling her husband her partner is belittling marriage just to be trendy by being "politically correct".

EDIT: "Rape" has become a popular replacement for "pwn/own" (Like to beat someone at a video game) lately and I just can't stand it. I always thought of it as a curse word right up there with... well, body parts.

Milf, there aren't any for me, I prefer younger women so it just gives me nasty images of older women in my head. That "LF" sound is atrocious too.

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 12:12 pm

I also get annoyed by the phrase "under the sea" and the word "underground".
You're not under anything, you're in it! You're in the sea! You're in the ground! The only time you're actually under the ground/sea, is if gravity stopped working.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 1:32 pm

i hate it when i hear the word "hi".
i start to become difficult from that point on.
my involvement with people when i am talking to them is purely speculative, and when they eventually see that that is the case, they become disappointed.

whatever.
i am not god, so they should not care.
i did not make me.
they should not be disappointed in what i am because i am not responsible for who i am.

i can not understand what happens in their world, so i haughtily plow my way through it and i meet many "immovable" obstacles....which i eventually find a way of moving (even if it is to my detriment (which it very often is))

one has to have a sense of whether it is a good night or a bad night, and i have a feeling that it is a good night, so i will say "good night" without any doubt.

now i am off to bed which i am sure i will also enjoy.

impulse94
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Sep 2011, 2:01 pm

I know, right?

No, I'm not agreeing with you -- that's the phrase I currently detest the most. And my closest friend, a man of fine intelligence, just used it.

It is a conflicted phrase. The first part is a simple agreement, but the second part comes along and searches for a rejoinder from the one being agreed with.