Page 5 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 10:37 pm

I woke up on my 18th and had to go the ER. I was pretty sick, so I just rested the remainder of the day. For my birthday, I usually just do what I would do on a normal day.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 10:42 pm

I don't remember.. I don't celebrate birthdays.. I was very sick on my 17th or 18th I don't remember..

kahlua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2011, 10:47 pm

Nothing much. Went out for lunch with my immediate family. Was pretty depressing really. All I could think of was getting older, which I really hate. I haven't grown up mentally. Also thought about how pathetic I was because most people would have a big 18 birthday party and invite friends.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 11:31 pm

I was signing papers to join the army the biggest mistake of my life. :wink: :lol:

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 1:56 am

Went to work, then went home and did nothing.

Same thing with #21, I worked 16 hours, went home, went to bed, got up and did it all again the next day.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 3:58 am

I honestly can't remember.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 5:01 am

Just like how my birthdays always were. Being at home with family and having cake and presents. The only thing I liked about my birthday. I don't remember if we went anywhere that day.

For my 21st birthday, mom took me shopping for adult clothes that would make me look grown up than a child. That evening my whole family and I went out to eat and my brother's girlfriend was with.

Ormusei
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jul 2011, 5:17 am

It was as a nice birthday, celebrated at home with a casual gathering of family, congratulations from neighbours, some laughing and some eating.
Guests primarily brought cash. Ooh! And I got a marzipan covered cream pie* with a picture of myself, dressed as Napoleon Bonaparte, printed on op of it.
Yeah, that was cool. 8)

*Since English is not my native language I wondered wich word would be best to describe what I got, cake or pie?
So I looked up the term cake, pie, cream cake and 'cream pie' and that last word just returned the nastiest results, well, that's another learning moment.

Nothing but good memories.
But in stark contrast to my 18th, are those of my 20th birthday.

Quote:
kahlua
Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:47 am
All I could think of was getting older, which I really hate. I haven't grown up mentally. Also thought about how pathetic I was because most people would have a big 18 birthday party and invite friends.

I've had a similar kind of experience at my twentieth birthday last March, I'm still recovering from the depression that followed.
I felt pathetic because in the days leading up to my birthday I realized that most people of my generation graduated from high school, got their drivers license, and are already seated in a train heading for college and an eventual career.
In the days that followed my twentieth birthday I felt left standing at the brink of adulthood seeing my peers pass me in a train that I completely missed.
While I must admit not to be left completely empty handed, I do not hold a single degree that carries any value, nor do I know how to drive a car.
This besides not even having the courage to leave the safe habitat of of home, can at times be quite detrimental to my morale.

While my birthday is no longer celebrated exstensively, the few relatives, the pie and the small amounts of cash are still part of it every year.
This part of the whole birthday thing, the actual celebration, I do appreciate en genuinly enjoy.
For me this years birthday celebration marked the end of another year of missed chances and a whole charade of failures.
(Yes, negative, negative. I'll try to give this post a positive twist below.)
Yet it also marked the beginning of another year of possibilities, and this has already shown in me getting into a moving vehicle since a a long time.

The bend this post back to its more positive start, I can say that every single birthday preceding my 13th was great, lots of friends visiting, much singing, building tents in the attic, getting dirty outside, eating a 'broodje knak', real good times. This was during my 'popular period', I was weird as Al, something that other kids somehow seemed to appreciate. :D

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 8:59 am

Nothing. I was just home. I got a sweater from mom and a gold ring from my godmother (her husband and my uncle brought it to me because he dropped in then and his wife hates me so she didn't probably want to have anything in common with me - but it wasn't exactly on the day of my 18th birthday, I think, I'm not sure). My grandma on the day of my 18th birthday got diagnosed with uncurable cancer, mom took her to a doctor and he told her this.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 1:30 pm

I can't even remember. And I know I didn't get drunk! I never even went out and had one drink. I honestly cannot remember. I think I went bowling with my cousins and one of their friends. That was good enough for me.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 1:27 pm

I went out for a meal with my family.

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 1:33 pm

I did ummmm... Besides a small party with my family, not really much...

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jul 2011, 2:26 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:
Because my birthday is the day before Halloween, it wasn't worth sh** to my friends in favor of Halloween events that took place around that time.

I'm the day before you, so I understand that. lol.

As for my 18th, I got my first tattoo that I'd been waiting years for. My only friend came with me, and then we went for dinner with my mom and my siblings.

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 5:08 pm

i believe I had a cookie puss ice cream cake and then went out with my girlfriend.

I wonder if Carvel still makes cookie puss?

Maje
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 8:02 pm

I had a friend guiding my through the city all day and I was in a really bad mood because I wanted to go home. When I finally entered my room it was full of people - surprise! - I was really really nervous and just left with an annoyed face. I came back after a while though and the people made a big party. I got drunk too. So now I can say I had a surprise party on my 18th... That sounds ...so great, but believe me I hate surprises and I also strongly dislike my room being full of people and me not having a chance but dealing with it? They (new friends) did it again on my 30th, so much for my friends understanding what I like. Also this time I left and I stayed away ca. 2 hours.

JohnOldman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jul 2011, 10:51 pm

Bought a pack of cigarettes at Midnight sharp.