Does everyone with Asperger's get meltdowns?

Page 5 of 8 [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

StuckWithin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jan 2014, 1:16 pm

I don't have meltdowns, but before learning about autism and AS, I had less perspective on my own way of relating to the world and to people, and tended to see others (especially when they acted illogically) as just plain stupid.

Now that I am aware of AS, I don't think that way anymore. I try to give others a lot more leeway, because I understand that my cognitive style and theirs differ significantly. I also try to factor in the role that feelings and the need for group conformity influence how others think and act - something I would not have made an allowance for before understanding how the AS mind is fundamentally different.

If something happens that I find really taxing, I have the self control to remove myself from the situation, so I can go and calm down. It is still stressful but I think it is the mature and wise choice. Especially in the workplace - my god, you cannot have meltdowns in the workplace and not expect there to be bad consequences...

The good thing is also that with age (for me at least) I have become calmer and less nervous. The reason may be neurological, but I tend to think it is more because I have made a decision to treat myself better given the knowledge that I have gained over the last few years. Knowledge is your friend.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 3:26 pm

Sharkbait wrote:
Ichinin wrote:
From what i've read, it is rare in Asperger cases and gets more common once you cross over to HFA then more down into LFA.
Aspies have more tolerance to frustration, understands and "gets" more of society than Auties.

To add a contrarian data point: I regard myself as quite high-functioning, and I get meltdowns. Until my challenges last year, it had been 10 to 12 years since my last meltdown. Prior to that, about one per year after college (excepting the years where my mom and dad passed) and about ... hm... maybe 3-5 per year while in college, and perhaps... a dozen all told during high school. Prior to that all bets are off as to counts, frequency & duration. I can recall five meltdowns in adolescence, but suspect many, many more. The five were just the severe ones.

As you noted, Ichinin, I attribute my long no-meltdown streak as an adult to being able to understand society and therefore stop or reject contradictory thought-loops before they become a problem. However irritation or annoyance with people have made me remove myself from the room countless times. The "experience" part of the equation; I can often see the annoyance-type coming.

I have really high functioning AS too. From when I was a toddler to when I was about 10 or 11, I had meltdowns everyday. They have very gradually gotten less and less frequent and my last full meltdown was about 6 months ago. I would screem, cry, yell, and refuse to move and they only happen at home or in the car with only my family present.

Also, is there a difference between a shutdown, a panic attack, and a sensory overload?

dottsie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Feb 2014, 4:56 pm

I don't have meltdowns, but my emotions can get so intense when I'm feeling upset that I get a lot of tension in my body that I have urges to let out through hitting things. I never do, though, cause I know it'll get worse if I do that

I do have shutdowns, though. Therre are periods where I'm unable to think properly, and all I wanna do is shut my eyes and maybe listen to some music. Unfortunately, these happen at school sometimes, and I'm forced to hand in schoolwork that could have been done much better if my brain were totally functioning at that moment.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 5:25 pm

I've had shutdowns ever since I was a kid, where I just freeze in place, and can't seem to move or respond.

As for meltdowns, I've never had the full-blown head-banging variety. But I'm very easily overwhelmed and upset, to the point of wanting to scream and cry – but what I do is physically run away from the unpleasant situation, and find a quiet place where I can cry and calm myself down.

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 5:38 pm

No, for me.

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 7:05 pm

I think there was only one time in my life where I had a major, violent meltdown. Another kid stole my laser pointer when I was around 12 or 13. I freaked out and started hitting anything in reach. I spent about 5 minutes hitting a tree as hard as I could with a stick while screaming my head off.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 7:42 pm

My anger has caused me to be aggressive, meltdowns with hitting and biting myself.

Norepinephrine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Feb 2014, 8:04 pm

I have them, though only in extreme circumstances. Usually they happen when I'm already feel exasperated, I'm being blasted with loud noises and I'm in crowded conditions. Going through all of that is absolutely dreadful for me and sometimes I can't handle it. This was why secondary school was terrible for me and why I still suffer in supermarket. : (

Scanner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Feb 2014, 12:10 am

I am on holiday an I am with my parents at a hotel. I had a set plan to do something and then take a shower and my father asked me to pass him something as my mom asked me to do something else, and it just ruined my plans and I got very upset and I kept talking about it and kept getting more and more upset about it and I was trying to explain about how I can handle randomness when I expect it better than when I see no purpose for it, such as asking me to get something when you already said you were going to use it(so i set it up) but then decide that you want me to actually give it to you. I didn't plan for that I don't like doing that so I was very upset for a while and in the middle of this I left to take my shower and started crying a little.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 12:51 am

I rarely have them, but then I tend avoid places and things I feel may cause them.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 6:57 am

I don't think I get meltdowns, but I don't know what the definition of a meltdown is, what the symptoms are. When I hear other people talk about having meltdowns though, it does not sound like anything I have experienced.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 7:13 am

I have never had one.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Cinnamon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Feb 2014, 10:56 am

I used to get meltdowns as a child and a teenager, but they were called tantrums. I'd scream and hit and bite myself (and when I was very young I'd also hit and bite others) and then later cry.
I still get meltdowns, but less often, and I'm getting better at relaxing so they blow over sooner. I find it incredibly embarrassing though. I wish I could stop it completely.

RikkiK
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Feb 2014, 3:55 pm

AnOldHFA wrote:

I don't seem to bang my head anymore or want to cut myself... Unless it is really bad..

It's always interesting to find others who have SI urges during meltdowns. I've been known to slam my head or wrists on things on impulse. Intentional SI came later for "emotional regulation", if you will.

headhunter228
Raven
Raven

08 Feb 2014, 5:25 pm

The last time it happened to me, I was getting fired from Walmart for a rather shaky reason.

Meltdowns are very few and far between these days, and having one is a sign that I am enraged beyond all reason...which has happened once in the past five years.

-Count Threpe, The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

TomW
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Feb 2014, 3:10 pm

I mainly have breakdowns in supermarkets when there are too many people and noises surrounding me it just plays with my brain, kind of like being stuck in a closed room with extremely loud white-noise.