18 May 2012, 1:04 am

Jay_1 wrote:
How do you walk?

Awkwardly.

Jay_1 wrote:
what is your usual standing posture?

Unbalanced.

Jay_1 wrote:
what do you feel like when you're walking?

Weird. :alien:

catson
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 May 2012, 1:05 pm

I walk with my feet pointing inwards put try to think about it so I wont do it. I also tend to only swing one arm as I walk and i walk fast.

TellyKNetic
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 May 2012, 8:17 pm

I was born with inturned feet (commonly called "pidgeon toes") so, my feet, knees and hips are constantly turned inward, unless I'm thinking about it. In addition to that, I broke my left foot when I was about twelve, but it was an extra bone on the side of my foot. It never healed properly and I had to have surgery two and a half years later. This lead to tendonitis in that foot, so I often start limping if I've been on my feet for too long.

Because of all my feet troubles, I usually walk with my head down. I look at my feet mostly to keep from tripping over anything.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 9:06 pm

I generally walk at a -very- fast pace. Not full on walking-as-fast-as-I-possibly-can speed, but quite fast while not being jerky. If I walk more slowly I must be doing something else on top of walking, or I start getting annoyed at the slowness. Walking with children, or generally anyone who isn't a fit male between 15 and 40, I get very annoyed, irritated, irritable.

Posture is fairly straight, head usually looking up and around, or down to see where I'm walking if it's a situation that requires it (not walking on a paved path).

When walking up stairs I always step up two stairs at a time, or more if they are smaller stairs. If going down stairs, I will often jump over the last 4 (or so) stairs.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 2:11 pm

Sometimes, I walk like this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xro6US3vMyE[/youtube]

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 2:18 pm

fefe333 wrote:
I normally walk on the balls of my feet.
,making me walk bouncy. (or I walk on my tip toes if I'm happy) and if I'm walking next to people I bump into them or I drift off to a side. I often find my self squinting for no reason. Also, my arms eather hang stiffly at my side or I hold them in front of me, squeezing my fingers.

I can relate. I bump into people when I walk next to them all the time, or conversely I drift off. I drift off all the time even when not walking beside people. I can't walk a straight line for the life of me. I too tend to hold my arms in fornt of me, but htis it o keep balance and to keep from bumping into things because I am blind and a terrible cane user.

Senath
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2012, 6:06 pm

TalusJumper wrote:
I walk with a bounce- always have. Been teased a lot when younger. I guess I tend to walk on the front of my feet and my toes.

Funny thing is when my son was only two, my mother-in-law noticed he walked just like me (most of the males in our family are on the spectrum).

I walk with a "bounce" too, or something like it. I've discovered that everyone can see me coming from far away because they can tell the way I walk apart from other people.

Someone else said they walk in a "determined" fashion. I couldn't relate more. I know it looks a little different though, and sometimes I become so aware of myself not walking with a "relaxed", "normal" gait that I start walking even more oddly through overcompensation.