Page 5 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 8:26 pm

cavendish wrote:
Sure, some of the homeless are lazy bums <snip> (and should be) forced to get off their butts and become contributing members of society.

How would you make that happen? What is the "force" that you would use? Are there any other countries that are using good tactics to stop homeless lazy bums?

cavendish
Raven
Raven

15 May 2012, 8:28 pm

I have no problem with people with serious forms of autism receiving government disability checks. However, it's all too easy for psychologists, psychiatrists, etc. to start diagnosing (and inevitably over-diagnosing) young people with autism disorders., and then the taxpayers have to foot the bill for those with milder forms. Waking up in the morning and telling oneself, "Let's get diagnosed with Aspergers, so I can get all these benefits" is simply not the proper way to live.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Ah the old.......young people can't possibly have issues that interfere with their ability to function logic. :roll:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 8:29 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Yes he knows the cost of homelessness but he's on an ASD forum telling you there's nothing wrong with you and you're just a lazy parasite who should be cut off from any aid. Do you think he see's homeless people as anything other than a bunch of lazy parasites who should be cut off from any aid?

*edit* Do you guys just not understand that this is how he thinks of YOU as an individual. If this guy were to say 'black people are disproportionally unemployed because they're lazy parasites' you guys would probably be all over him. But when he says that about YOU is it that hard to understand what this guy is about?

I honestly can't understand why you guys continue to talk to him. You will never change his mind because he's just screwing with your mind.

Well I have a rule of thumb........don't hate the ignorant but do try to educate them and certainly defend yourself should they attack.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 8:32 pm

cavendish wrote:
I have no problem with people with serious forms of autism receiving government disability checks. However, it's all too easy for psychologists, psychiatrists, etc. to start diagnosing (and inevitably over-diagnosing) young people with autism disorders., and then the taxpayers have to foot the bill for those with milder forms. Waking up in the morning and telling oneself, "Let's get diagnosed with Aspergers, so I can get all these benefits" is simply not the proper way to live.

Well you see I can understand what you are saying, but I know autism can be severe enough to interfere with ones ability to work........in my case I will admit its not the autism that's the most disabling. It's is the PTSD I acquired when I was 16 when I was in therapy trying to recover from depression and a suicide attempt. I mean I would love to work but I cannot risk hurting the equipment or other employees should I suffer a flashback and then the resulting panic attack. I mean with the last one I had it took everything I had not to destroy all the inanimate objects in my friends house since that's where it hit me.

cavendish
Raven
Raven

15 May 2012, 8:37 pm

I would say that the large majority of the rest of the world deals with the homeless, and a lot of other social problems, in a tougher and more effective way than modern day America. We can't afford to waste the potential of our young people, and can't allow them to focus so much on getting a diagnosis, collect disability checks, and therefore not contribute to society.

tall-p wrote:
cavendish wrote:
Sure, some of the homeless are lazy bums <snip> (and should be) forced to get off their butts and become contributing members of society.

How would you make that happen? What is the "force" that you would use? Are there any other countries that are using good tactics to stop homeless lazy bums?

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 8:39 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
edgewaters wrote:
cavendish wrote:
Many folks with Aspergers may have problems obtaining and succeeding in the world of work. The solution, however, is NOT to dole out disability checks to young people who should be willing and eager to contribute to society.

That's the cost of doing nothing, like it or not. One way or another to fail to deal with the problem is going to cost a lot of money. That's just the way it is. Do you have any idea how much a single homeless person costs the system? The medical costs, emergency services costs etc - it adds up, to quite a princely sum. Far, far more than supporting people.

You need to take the ideological blinders off and have a look at the real world.

Yes he knows the cost of homelessness but he's on an ASD forum telling you there's nothing wrong with you and you're just a lazy parasite who should be cut off from any aid. Do you think he see's homeless people as anything other than a bunch of lazy parasites who should be cut off from any aid?

*edit* Do you guys just not understand that this is how he thinks of YOU as an individual. If this guy were to say 'black people are disproportionally unemployed because they're lazy parasites' you guys would probably be all over him. But when he says that about YOU is it that hard to understand what this guy is about?

I honestly can't understand why you guys continue to talk to him. You will never change his mind because he's just screwing with your mind.

Well his argument is irrational. He wants to save the taxpayer money by costing the taxpayer more money. Just thought I'd educate him that this is not actually intelligent.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 8:40 pm

cavendish wrote:
I would say that the large majority of the rest of the world deals with the homeless, and a lot of other social problems, in a tougher and more effective way than modern day America. We can't afford to waste the potential of our young people, and can't allow them to focus so much on getting a diagnosis, collect disability checks, and therefore not contribute to society.

Its hard when you feel totally ostracized and stigmatized by society. I suppose our goal should then be to prove them wrong, but what is the point? If someone will look down on me for being a bit different why should I waste my energy trying to prove them wrong?

cavendish
Raven
Raven

15 May 2012, 8:46 pm

How can one acquire PTSD in therapy, unless the therapist gave you a diagnosis so as to justify the continuation of the therapy process, and their paychecks, of course? I am not saying that one can't have very bad memories or even flashbacks (far from it), but how many people throughout history have suffered far worse things than you, and didn't even think of going to the government and requesting disability benefits.

Sweetleaf wrote:
cavendish wrote:

Well you see I can understand what you are saying, but I know autism can be severe enough to interfere with ones ability to work........in my case I will admit its not the autism that's the most disabling. It's is the PTSD I acquired when I was 16 when I was in therapy trying to recover from depression and a suicide attempt. I mean I would love to work but I cannot risk hurting the equipment or other employees should I suffer a flashback and then the resulting panic attack. I mean with the last one I had it took everything I had not to destroy all the inanimate objects in my friends house since that's where it hit me.

cavendish
Raven
Raven

15 May 2012, 8:51 pm

My approach will save the taxpayers a lot of money, since it will encourage and, yes, at times force the young people to lead productive lives rather than feel sorry for themselves for some diagnosis of theirs. I believe the families should play a more active role here, instead of relying on government.

edgewaters wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
edgewaters wrote:
cavendish wrote:
Many folks with Aspergers may have problems obtaining and succeeding in the world of work. The solution, however, is NOT to dole out disability checks to young people who should be willing and eager to contribute to society.

That's the cost of doing nothing, like it or not. One way or another to fail to deal with the problem is going to cost a lot of money. That's just the way it is. Do you have any idea how much a single homeless person costs the system? The medical costs, emergency services costs etc - it adds up, to quite a princely sum. Far, far more than supporting people.

You need to take the ideological blinders off and have a look at the real world.

Well his argument is irrational. He wants to save the taxpayer money by costing the taxpayer more money. Just thought I'd educate him that this is not actually intelligent.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 8:52 pm

cavendish wrote:
How can one acquire PTSD in therapy, unless the therapist gave you a diagnosis so as to justify the continuation of the therapy process, and their paychecks, of course? I am not saying that one can't have very bad memories or even flashbacks (far from it), but how many people throughout history have suffered far worse things than you, and didn't even think of going to the government and requesting disability benefits.

Ah, the good old days. When economies collapsed every few years, millions died of hunger and want, everyone had parasites, and life expectancy was years less than today.

Yep, rosy times indeed. Pull yourselves up by the bootstraps, people! You too can aspire to a society and standard of living from the Dark Ages. After all, they did it, so why not us?

Bring out your dead! And bring on the mendicants! The future awaits!

Last edited by edgewaters on 15 May 2012, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 8:52 pm

cavendish wrote:

I didn't get it in therapy I was going to therapy......and during this period this as*hole with a gun came into my school and ended up shooting a student I had known more or less, you can look up the Platte Canyon shooting if you need more info. Then at this time my parents also finalized their divorce so they were all emotional about that and had no real time to provide any emotional support. And I am sure there are people who have suffered worse but that does not make my pain any less........nor does it make it interfere any less with my functioning. I mean regardless of who has suffered worse I still get to live as a former shell of what I could have been alright..do you know how horrible that feels? knowing you will always feel dead and empty inside? Not to mention being on edge...imagine feeling like theres impending doom on it's way 24/7. I wish I could have only gotten PTSD from something worse but apparently my genetics dictated otherwise. The freaking fear is embarrassing, humiliating but most of all disabling.

Oh and during the lockdown a girl in my class said to me 'I am surprised you aren't the psychopath with the gun.' I should have punched her in the face. She apologized later but I cannot even explain what that comment did to me right then.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 15 May 2012, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavendish
Raven
Raven

15 May 2012, 8:59 pm

I have enjoyed the discussion, but I really have to go now. On a closing note, let me quote Colin Powell, "Get mad , but get over it" Sure, life may have dealt you a bad hand. Yes, be upset, frustrated, and all that. Come to this forum to vent and seek support. That's a positive thing to do. However, keep in mind that the best approach in life is not to whine about your problems, but to buckle down and work towards a better future. America, and some other countries as well, offers so much for young people, so it would be a shame to waste their energy and great potential.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 9:01 pm

cavendish wrote:
I have enjoyed the discussion, but I really have to go now. On a closing note, let me quote Colin Powell, "Get mad , but get over it" Sure, life may have dealt you a bad hand. Yes, be upset, frustrated, and all that. Come to this forum to vent and seek support. That's a positive thing to do. However, keep in mind that the best approach in life is not to whine about your problems, but to buckle down and work towards a better future. America, and some other countries as well, offers so much for young people, so it would be a shame to waste their energy and great potential.

Well all in all I feel you have your opinions, I have mine it is ok to agree to disagree on certain points, and I hope there are no hard feelings.

cavendish
Raven
Raven

15 May 2012, 9:11 pm

I am sure that you have experienced many difficulties in your life and wish you the best. It's only natural that the younger generation is criticized in many ways unfairly, by their elders. The fact is that, at the age of twenty two, it is quite possible, and even likely, that you will overcome many of your problems with age and maturity. You should be encouraged to develop and realize your potential in life and not have to rely on the government.

Sweetleaf wrote:
cavendish wrote:

I didn't get it in therapy I was going to therapy......and during this period this as*hole with a gun came into my school and ended up shooting a student I had known more or less, you can look up the Platte Canyon shooting if you need more info. Then at this time my parents also finalized their divorce so they were all emotional about that and had no real time to provide any emotional support. And I am sure there are people who have suffered worse but that does not make my pain any less........nor does it make it interfere any less with my functioning. I mean regardless of who has suffered worse I still get to live as a former shell of what I could have been alright..do you know how horrible that feels? knowing you will always feel dead and empty inside? Not to mention being on edge...imagine feeling like theres impending doom on it's way 24/7. I wish I could have only gotten PTSD from something worse but apparently my genetics dictated otherwise. The freaking fear is embarrassing, humiliating but most of all disabling.

Oh and during the lockdown a girl in my class said to me 'I am surprised you aren't the psychopath with the gun.' I should have punched her in the face. She apologized later but I cannot even explain what that comment did to me right then.

cavendish
Raven
Raven

15 May 2012, 9:12 pm

I really have to go now. I wish you the very best.

Sweetleaf wrote:
cavendish wrote:

Well all in all I feel you have your opinions, I have mine it is ok to agree to disagree on certain points, and I hope there are no hard feelings.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 9:20 pm

cavendish wrote:
I am sure that you have experienced many difficulties in your life and wish you the best. It's only natural that the younger generation is criticized in many ways unfairly, by their elders. The fact is that, at the age of twenty two, it is quite possible, and even likely, that you will overcome many of your problems with age and maturity. You should be encouraged to develop and realize your potential in life and not have to rely on the government.

I know you gotta go so get back to this later if you want.......but you know I hope so two the last thing I want to do is rely on this government for the rest of my life :wink: I feel I just need to try and get some help so I can more or less find where my feet are and re-ground myself to them.