Page 5 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 9:57 pm

Two college degrees
A driver's license, forklift license, skid loader license, and a chemical distribution license
Prize-winning florist
Prize-winning and published poet
Library director
Jingle-writer and illustrator
Multiple belts in Taekwondo

There's nothing one can't do if one puts their mind to it.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 10:14 pm

Those of you who remarked on driving: yes, I do find that to be far tougher than academic achievements.

To be clear: I made attempts in the past to learn how and was way too tense the entire time, leading me to make careless errors. Never really learned how to ride a bike, either.

Take a look at this: The Nine Types of Intelligence. Guess I'm a bit "low" on number 6, and possibly aspects of number 9.

I hope that this time, I'll be more ready--and no, I don't know how I can know for sure if I am or not.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

kabouter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Mar 2013, 1:32 am

Only realised that I'm an aspie a few weeks ago, and looking back it would seem that I accomplished what I have not despite being an aspie, but because I am one.

Was not allowed to complete High School.

I went back to high school full time after working for a few years, got into university but failed everything as I got involved in the antiwar movement(vietnam era), then taught myself offset printing. Moved to the country and worked on an organic farm, when the relationship I was in broke up (virgin until 22, and basically seduced) I went back to the city to go and complete my degree. Majored in Computer Science after an older friend suggested I would probably be good at it.

Worked as a programmer and systems programmer for a while and learned to fly gliders on weekends. Got sick of stupid hours and attitudes while working for a bank, and decided to try to move to academia.

Got a job as a Senior Tutor, and then as a Lecturer. Great job, lots of autonomy, encouraged to do research. Ended up being good at research and presented papers at conferences in a number of countries worldwide. This really increased my self-confidence.

My partner had been diagnosed with coeliac(celiac) disease and as the gluten free food available at the time was pretty disgusting, I researched gluten free baking and we worked out we could make gluten free food better than anything that could be purchased.
We decided to open a gluten free bakery/cafe as my partner could not find a job (considered too old), this we did and she ran it.
It was very successful in terms of proving that gluten free food could be as good as "normal" food, but running it was another matter.

I resigned from UNI to get access to my super, I wasn't going to get further at Uni due to my aspie qualities anyway. I decided to developed a gluten free beer, ... more research. Anyway, due to my partner getting very sick, our lack of business experience, and a shifty business partner we had to get out it and lost a lot of money.

So retired hurt to the country.

So apart from a number of depression episodes, wondering why I always felt different, it has been an interesting journey.
Not always enjoyable, but you can't have everything.

Cheers

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 1:34 am

^^^
another glowing aspie success story :wtg:
btw, welcome to the 8) club

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 1:38 am

whirlingmind wrote:
LeagueGirl wrote:
glow wrote:
8O I aint so sure any of these were compliments proposed to league girl, i think she is trying to spell out how her life has come to nothing besides unregistered failure given alot of things. i think she's done well in writing something to express her real feelings instead of trying to cover them up too much. 8)

whirlingmind wrote:
That's a bit mean. You can't put words into someone's mouth like that. I took it that she meant that her achievements were achievements, but not as seemingly large achievements as some others. By saying what you've just said you are condemning her to actually feel they might be "unregistered failures". I agree with what goldfish said. Some Aspies have such poor social skills they would find it a miracle to get married for instance - leaguegirl accomplished that. You are the one minimising her achievements by what you have said.

glow wrote:
This is clearly the wrong thread in hindsight in which to express some of my views, no? and i think what she meant was that some of her 'accomplishments' weren't necessarily good ones,. to prove a point she mentioned having disastrous dates online in the year 2007. well she was hardly saying they were good, only that they made her feel worse. im sure however, she would be happy to confirm this, if it was in her best interests. i was also inclining to agree with her and i dont think she was expecting a sympathy march either.

I must have started something. Looks like a little drama here. :?

I don't know if your first post was directed at me as being mean or goldfish.

It was at glow. Look higher up the thread for the original posts and it will make sense. I was defending you and agreeing with goldfish. Glow has messed up the quotes formatting and confused things. I have corrected them in this post!

I didn't understand glow's post either. I thought he was saying goldfish was trying to be mean to me rather than trying to compliment me.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 1:40 am

auntblabby wrote:
i feel really inferior to all the successful aspies on this thread. but i try not to think about it.

Don't let that get you down, auntblabby. You're still one of the nicest people around here, and I for one haven't forgotten about your expertise in audio restoration. :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 1:46 am

DJFester wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
i feel really inferior to all the successful aspies on this thread. but i try not to think about it.

Don't let that get you down, auntblabby. You're still one of the nicest people around here, and I for one haven't forgotten about your expertise in audio restoration. :D

thank you!! ! :salut:
btw, do you know anybody that needs audio restoration services?

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 2:00 am

auntblabby wrote:
DJFester wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

thank you!! ! :salut:
btw, do you know anybody that needs audio restoration services?

You're welcome.

Right offhand, I'm not aware of anyone needing audio restoration services at this time, but I'll keep my eyes (and ears) open - and I'll be sure to let you know if I come across anyone who could make use of your expertise. :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 2:01 am

^^^
:D

kabouter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Mar 2013, 2:20 am

auntblabby wrote:
^^^
another glowing aspie success story :wtg:
btw, welcome to the 8) club

Thank you, I have been helped on the way by a number of mentors whose advice and actions have been incredibly invaluable even when I did not realise it at the time.

Unfortunatley I can't give any pointers to finding mentors, they found me!!

There are a great group of people around here, some just seem to lack self-confidence.

Realising I am an aspie has been very empowering. I realise I am not alone. I am still different, but in a nice way.

Cheers

NorthPark
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 10:41 am

Gotten a girlfriend
Went to a city I barely knew and coming back home without getting lost
killed at least 600 flies (I hate those things)
succesfully climbed a 200 ft pole despite looking down many times
Shot firearms downrange (and enjoyed it)

MBTI- ISTP

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 10:43 am

I can't differentiate between in spite of, because of, or independent of. I'm just me.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

littlebee
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 12:19 pm

Moondust wrote:
I've accomplished what extremely few people in this world have even dared attempt: I do good to others.

Thanks. This is the single best message I have read in the three weeks I have been here.

Many people do function from the altruistic motivation, but in order to do good it is also necessary to know what to do.

I have overcome incredible obstacles, trauma and suffering. Did not think I would live.. Am very creative, art, music, writing, a crafts business---many people admire me and my accomplishments---plus raised two daughters, both of whom are miraculously self supporting, one married and the other in a good relationship. I am (just barely) self supporting and living in a universe filled with books, instruments and all kinds of play toys--and t.v's:-) --quite a bit of time and lots of space....and many interesting ideas to think about; however none of this describes me or my family and the horrible dysfunction and suffering we have been through, and are still sometimes going through, so in my case listing these kinds of accomplishments is kind of superficial.

The creativity, though very pleasurable to say the least, was, sadly, an escape, a drug. In many ways I was and AM an addict. Also I was a workaholic among many other addictions, and it is amazing my children have survived as we have been through all kinds of trouble which my own insensitivity and being cut off surely played into, though I did good things, too..

None of this describes in any way the horrible suffering myself and members of my family have been through, and I think many people experience horrible suffering..

What I am proud of is that I survived. I only did this by developing my mind. I know how to actually think and have figured out many things. The question about life I always had as a child, "How can this be?" I have found the answer to. Also I am starting to be truly me, and the sense of power and freedom that comes with this is truly amazing. I had lost myself along the way and didn't even know it, but now I am more and more in touch with the genetic me and experiencing the virtues of understanding my own brain and how to consciously use it..Another thing, I believe I have found the long missing key to understanding my own autism. That is amazingly interesting, and I am starting to be smart again, meaning smart the way I was born to be, so reclaiming my birthright.

I am finding many people here who are very smart, but I think many are so much smarter than they realize they can be. You know, to be smart can be scary. My mother used to say to me, "don't be smart, missy," and I also recall the use of the expression, "don't be a smarty pants.". You know people can not only survive by being very smart but can sometimes be killed for being too smart.