Page 5 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 10:32 am

DVCal wrote:
LupaLuna wrote:
To clear things up. Autism is definitely a genetics thing and can not be caused by environmental factors. You guys are confusing autism with brain damage. It's easy to mistaken brain damage with autism because behaviors may be similar but medically. They are completely different. As far as what causes autism. They don't know if it's an added gene, the absents of a gene or the is a combination of genes and how they interact with each other.

Please show proof of this claim. You won't have any because, recent studies show Autism does have strong environmental causes.

If it does. It would have to be by indirect means. The environment alters the genes before the brain is conceived. Autism defines the hard wiring of the brain and is something that can't be added to or taken away from an already developed brain.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 11:38 am

guzzle wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
Available evidence does not support the idea that evolution has stopped or that fertility technologies somehow eliminate evolution.

I'll agree, evidence or not :mrgreen:
Not "not," evident evidence---
Evidence that evolution has not stopped

Quote:
I had one big stressfull incident during my pregnancy that was totally outside my control... I can laugh about it now but at the time I felt as if the stress had an effect on my baby.

Annecdote is not evidence. The question is how can you tell if the feeling you had about stress was in any way true? I think that the scientific method is the best tool humanity has ever developed for discovering objective reality.

littlebee
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 1:13 pm

Moridin8 wrote:
Sorry if this has already been mentioned.

Genetics & environment. No 'vs'

Epigenetics. One facet of epigenetics is the alteration of the genome due to the environment.

Thanks for mentioning this; I would like to add that human culture and the way social systems organize around various ideas can greatly affect the environment.

To the OP, imo, this is a very important topic; however, I am beginning to question the functional value of discussing the obvious with people who do not understand it. I think another approach which I am not yet quite sure of might be better, not to discount the value of this thread, however.

To Adamantium, hard science is not capable of sorting everything out. Though of course it is of great value, it is too slow. Emotions are what move people, and ultimately it is ideas connected to actions that will transform the world.

I may not be able to participate that much in this discussion due to time constraints, and also there are so many threads that important material gets lost in the mix, though the social experience can be quite pleasurable, but to me this particular topic is a key one, so to the OP, thanks. I did not read all the messages, but those I did read helped clarify my thinking on this important subject.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 2:13 pm

Adamantium wrote:
guzzle wrote:
Quote:
I had one big stressfull incident during my pregnancy that was totally outside my control... I can laugh about it now but at the time I felt as if the stress had an effect on my baby.

Annecdote is not evidence. The question is how can you tell if the feeling you had about stress was in any way true? I think that the scientific method is the best tool humanity has ever developed for discovering objective reality.

I'm an intuitive person and trust my gut feeling. Personally I can live without the scientific method, the history of it is quite interesting though, never looked at that before.
Quote:
We shall soon see how the basis for the emergence of a true scientific method was provided by the Judeo-Christian perspective. “The principles underlying the scientific method (testability, verification/falsification) arise from the Judeo-Christian Scriptures. The experimental method was clearly nurtured by Christian doctrine."[108]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method#History

Chinese and Indian civilizations managed quite well without the scientific method for thousands of years. And it is all about epigenetics if I take it by the definition given earlier. No one knows really knows how many neurotransmitter variables there are. Let alone they know which cross the placenta or how they affect the developing foetus.

Not sure if this has been posted but I came across this

Quote:
The autism spectrum may represent not disease, but an ancient way of life for a minority of ancestral humans, said Jared Reser, a brain science researcher and doctoral candidate in the USC Psychology Department.
http://pressroom.usc.edu/autism-may-hav ... -believes/

Schizpergers
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Nov 2013, 8:41 pm

Rudywalsh wrote:
I know many people go down the genetic route when it comes to what causes autism, even thou there is still no proof this is so.

Where did you hear there is no proof it's genetic? It's well known that autism runs in families.
I have several relatives with Asperger's and it's obvious where I got it.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 9:19 pm

Environmental. They mean it's something in the environment, air/water/food/drugs/bugs etc, that causes Autism vs. something people are just born with that's dictated by their genetic makeup.

In my experience, it's environmental - or at least in large part & possibly combined with a genetic predisposition.