Christian parenting of a child with ASD

Page 5 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Taffykate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2014, 2:34 am

BeggingTurtle wrote:
... listen to your kid when it's their disability, not yours. "

Thanks Begging Turtle. I know this is slightly taken out of context but it's at the essence of what you are saying. I think it's one of the wisest bits of advice any parent can hear.

Taffykate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2014, 2:46 am

Cash__ wrote:

Or in other cases, the confidence is based upon personal experience, which doesn't mean anything to me. My personal experience tells me its all a bunch of malarkey. There is no logical reason for me to put someone else's personal experience over my personal experience.

Cash, I want to say how glad I am that you have been posting on this discussion. I really appreciate the time you have spent on your posts and your honest responses. I don't always agree with you, but you have made me think many times over and that's refreshing. This statement again has made me think. Of course you are right. There is no logical reason for anyone to put someone else's personal experiences over one's own personal experiences. I'm going to mull over that thought, and it's wider implications, for weeks :)

Taffykate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2014, 2:51 am

conundrum wrote:

My point: please, never, ever, EVER make your kids think that it is somehow "their fault", for any "reason" (religious or otherwise). That will not convert them--it will send them in the opposite direction. Furthermore, they will be left feeling that they are somehow "wrong" or "defective", when what they need is YOUR unconditional love no matter what.

Excellent point. Thanks!

something_
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Aug 2014, 5:39 am

Lukecash12 wrote:
something_ wrote:
^agree with cash.

People of faith really have to accept it is just that 'faith' and has no connection to evidence, and so cannot be said to be connected to truth.

If I was an aspergers child with religious parents (which I was once), having a parent say it was based in logic and truth would really wind me up. There is something about religion that has always aggravated my sense of fairness, the idea that people think their own beliefs should apply to people who don't share their beliefs. I know some religious people would say it is a personal thing that they don't push on others, but at its core it is a belief that you are right and those that disagree are wrong, and as it is based in faith it is completely insulated from any reason, and it does have an unfair sway in society.

I think the issue that highlights the problems so clearly is homosexuality, most religions treatment of gay people is terrible, religious people aren't content to let their beliefs govern just their own lives they think everyone else should as well even if others don't have those beliefs, many religious people will say they don't discriminate but there is a history of it and it reflects the religious mentality. I think this is an important issue for raising aspergers children as many will have a similar logic based approach and a fierce stubbornness to their own sense of what is right which could cause conflict. I am not saying this will happen to all, or even most aspergers children but I think it could be a big problem for some.

I think a religious parent should just explain their beliefs and why they believe it and leave it at that, make it clear it is a personal choice and that other people should be free to believe what they want free from judgement. When it comes to morals these do not need to be connected to religion, everyone can see the logic in kindness, honesty etc.

1. Erm, they don't have to accept that at all because "faith" is an English word, and it isn't found anywhere in Koine Greek. Pistis, on the other hand, can be found in the NT and the very idea of it necessitates a rational process of accepting one persuasion/argument (I mean argument in the technical philosophical sense, as in supporting a position, not in the sense of heated disagreement) over others. What we can find here is modern religious people performing anachronisms and trying to think of everything biblical using their own context. "Faith" originally involved a rational process, folks.

2. Not everything can be right at the same time. That would mean that there are round squares. There is nothing inherently terrible or arrogant about it, and it is no imposition, just to think that your ideas are right. If we were to just lay back and say everyone was right we not wouldn't make any progress, and would be stuck in the same terrible societies of the past (I don't know about you folks but I much prefer this modern era to living in antiquity, it's a good thing Hobbes, Locke, and Voltaire were so opinionated because I can thank them for many of my own personal liberties), but we would be lying to ourselves because of course someone and something has to be right. This is the real world, and religion and philosophy ask serious questions, we aren't just handing everyone a coloring book and telling them that their chicken scratches look great, we are talking about things like the very nature of reality, right and wrong, the process of history, why there is anything in the first place, how did all of this come to be, etc.

3. By and large I think non-religious people are clearly mistaken when they make so many generalizations about the religious. They have to realize that we are human beings too and there is quite a bit of variety amongst the religious. I for one am not behind condemning anyone, or pontificating to everyone about what it is that they did wrong. And I'm not the rarest bird on the planet folks, so let's grow up a little bit and apply what we think about human variation being a good thing, if neurodiversity is a good thing then diverse ideas can be good too. We can't blame people for thinking they are right either, someone has to be right about something or another, after all, and on the flip side do we expect them just to think they're wrong about everything? Of course not. It isn't the worst thing in the world that someone would want to convince another person of something. If there was never such a thing as serious dialogue and we just talked about the weather, there would be no Plato's Symposium, no Posterior Analytics from Aristotle, no Confessions from Augustine, no Stoics, no Epicureans, no Sufis, nothing interesting whatsoever really and we would never challenge ourselves or our ideas. The earth would still be flat and we would be living in caves. Obviously some ideas are good and others aren't, and it should be open to discussion between people mature enough not to get up in arms like the whole world is going to end when someone disagrees with them (this is especially addressing religious people too).

I know it is a complicated philosophical area but I too broadly believe that some view has to be 'right'. But I am afraid it is not religious people's view, religious people's beliefs are rarely founded in a thorough exploration of alternatives, questioning reality and weighing up the evidence. A person's religion in almost a 100% of cases is based on the part of the world and family they were born into, coincidence.

It is good that you don't personally judge people, but chances are most religious organisations people belong to seek, or have sought in the past, to restrict the rights of others. That is the thing that upsets me the most, I remember seeing on the news when some american states were trying to bring in gay marriage, all these interviews of people sincerely saying 'god made adam and eve not adam and steve' as if their own personal unproven belief should restrict the happiness of others, to me that is the religious mentality made visible.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 6:19 am

something_ wrote:
I know it is a complicated philosophical area but I too broadly believe that some view has to be 'right'. But I am afraid it is not religious people's view, religious people's beliefs are rarely founded in a thorough exploration of alternatives, questioning reality and weighing up the evidence. A person's religion in almost a 100% of cases is based on the part of the world and family they were born into, coincidence.

Exactly. Christian parents indoctrinate their kids with Christianity; Muslim parents indoctrinate their kids with Islam and so on. Each religion dumps its own variants of bigotry onto its adherents. America's education system (at high school level) is becoming a laughing stock to the rest of the world regarding its science education. A woeful number of Americans still believe in creationism and many actually believe the Sun revolves around the Earth! Science is becoming dumbed down in schools and there is even political pressure in some states for the teaching of evolution to be removed from science classes or for the introduction of creationism in science! Maybe they should start teaching the Earth is flat too and just burn scientists at the stake as heretics. Something is sadly wrong in America. Those of us in western Europe can't comprehend why America is having these shifts towards medieval thinking. Evolution is taught as standard here. If people want to learn about creation myths they can go to Sunday school.

something_ wrote:
It is good that you don't personally judge people, but chances are most religious organisations people belong to seek, or have sought in the past, to restrict the rights of others. That is the thing that upsets me the most, I remember seeing on the news when some american states were trying to bring in gay marriage, all these interviews of people sincerely saying 'god made adam and eve not adam and steve' as if their own personal unproven belief should restrict the happiness of others, to me that is the religious mentality made visible.

From what I've seen of Christians, they are often bigoted hate-mongers; not quite as bad as Muslims but nonetheless still hateful towards others who don't share their beliefs and especially towards gay people. The old testament if full of violence and hatred perpetrated by a narcissistic and psychopathic god. Not that it matters... it's only mythology anyway and of no more importance or relevance than the tales of Zeus or other gods.

Parents should teach their children moral behaviour but this does not need to be associated with any religion. Religions give a twisted angle towards morality and often justify homophobia or other hateful behaviour in the name of the religion; even as far as killing non-believers. The world has enough problems associated with the divisions of mankind without making people more divided in the name of religion.

Taffykate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2014, 7:10 am

TallyMan wrote:

Parents should teach their children moral behaviour but this does not need to be associated with any religion.

Thanks for sharing your views, TallyMan. Can you give an example of the type of morals you feel a parent should teach their child?

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 7:22 am

I can think of a few.

Courtesy, honesty, integrity, acceptance of others as they are, good manners, a fair go for all, freedom of choice, dignity.

I also love this, from the movie, Second Hand Lions:

Hub, giving his speech about being a man, to his young nephew: "Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. That people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; and I want you to remember this, that love... true love never dies. You remember that, boy. You remember that. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. You see, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in."

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 7:45 am

Taffykate wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

Parents should teach their children moral behaviour but this does not need to be associated with any religion.

Thanks for sharing your views, TallyMan. Can you give an example of the type of morals you feel a parent should teach their child?

Rather than reeling off a list, I believe it can be kept very simple and expanded upon where necessary, so in a nutshell "treat everyone as you would like to be treated yourself". When a child strays from this it can be explained to them why what they have done is not good behaviour towards others in those same terms. This applies to everything we consider good morality: telling the truth, not stealing, not hitting others, not being nasty towards others, not being greedy or taking more than one's fair share, not bad-mouthing others behind their back and so on. The problems start when religion is introduced and the concept of "sin" and some religions love to dump the concept of "sin" on people, right from an early age. Things that are "sinful" are not necessary immoral, especially anything regarding sexuality or intimacy with others and can lead to kids who feel ashamed of themselves or their feelings as they grow into young adults.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 7:56 am

TallyMan wrote:
Rather than reeling off a list, I believe it can be kept very simple and expanded upon where necessary, so in a nutshell "treat everyone as you would like to be treated yourself". When a child strays from this it can be explained to them why what they have done is not good behaviour towards others in those same terms. This applies to everything we consider good morality: telling the truth, not stealing, not hitting others, not being nasty towards others, not being greedy or taking more than one's fair share, not bad-mouthing others behind their back and so on. The problems start when religion is introduced and the concept of "sin" and some religions love to dump the concept of "sin" on people, right from an early age. Things that are "sinful" are not necessary immoral, especially anything regarding sexuality or intimacy with others and can lead to kids who feel ashamed of themselves or their feelings as they grow into young adults.

+1

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

AspERMD
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Aug 2014, 12:10 pm

Ran into this thread just as I'm feeling guilty for not wanting to take my toddler to church. I am an Aspie raised by very religious parents. I didn't like being hugged and kissed by strangers but was an avid reader and could remember a lot of the Bible and derived pleasure from being a good Christian. I think it helped a lot with empathy but I was pretty rigid. As I got older I realized a lot of sermons plays fast and loose with the scripture so I'd write the pastor notes that were not well received. When I started college I ended up having frequent debates with a Muslim friend and the dark underbelly of Christianity was exposed. I can't talk to my mom about my doubts about Christianity without her bursting out in tears. It's just hard to logically accept it now that I know the diety of Christ was voted on and the trinity inserted. I do believe as a doctor and scientist that the human body and ecosystem are intricately organized which goes against entropy and that even if you accept the big boom the star had to come from somewhere. So I think there is a God at LEAST on the form of initial energy input. It would be nice if there is someone looking out for me, I was less anxious when I truly believed that. But my mom thinks I can believe enough and pray away my son's autism, and that seems delusional.

I would love for my son to have the moral grounding I had as I am still very moral and kind, albeit in an obligatory rigid way. I could also use some friends and support as we are away from famil. So if someone could help me believe again I'd be much obliged.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 1:54 pm

AspERMD wrote:
I do believe as a doctor and scientist that the human body and ecosystem are intricately organized which goes against entropy

Not wishing to appear adversarial but you are incorrect there. People (creationists usually) often mix up the principles of thermodynamics / entropy and think it can be applied in the way you have done so. See here for more information:
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-misconceptions.html#thermo

Taffykate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2014, 1:57 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Taffykate wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

Rather than reeling off a list, I believe it can be kept very simple and expanded upon where necessary, so in a nutshell "treat everyone as you would like to be treated yourself". .

Thanks, TallyMan. This is the golden rule found in just about every race and tribe through antiquity and every religion, including Christianity where Jesus explains it this way; "Do to others what you want them to do to you. This is the meaning of the law of Moses and the teaching of the prophets." (Matthew 7:12)
It seems that this 'rule' is common to all humans and faiths. I see it as God's laws written in our hearts. I guess you see it as an innate human characteristic come about through evolution? (I don't mean to put words in your mouth - please correct me if i am wrong) By the very nature of the rule we should all then respect each others views on this- and on other issues, and recognize that, in turn, we all want our views respected.

AspERMD
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Aug 2014, 2:14 pm

TallyMan wrote:
AspERMD wrote:
I do believe as a doctor and scientist that the human body and ecosystem are intricately organized which goes against entropy

Not wishing to appear adversarial but you are incorrect there. People (creationists usually) often mix up the principles of thermodynamics / entropy and think it can be applied in the way you have done so. See here for more information:

You make a fair point. I don't have a problem with evolution I just don't know that evolutionary pressure explains all the species of animals. I don't think that there was an evolutionary advantage to moving from chimp to human for example.

But more importantly no Athiest has been able to explain to me where the initial star or whatever you believe started things off came from. Scientifically speaking that initial input of energy and matter would be the origin of everything and therefore could be referred to as God.

Leave it to us to turn this thread into a debate. Can't help it

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 2:37 pm

AspERMD wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
AspERMD wrote:

You make a fair point. I don't have a problem with evolution I just don't know that evolutionary pressure explains all the species of animals. I don't think that there was an evolutionary advantage to moving from chimp to human for example.

But more importantly no Athiest has been able to explain to me where the initial star or whatever you believe started things off came from. Scientifically speaking that initial input of energy and matter would be the origin of everything and therefore could be referred to as God.

Leave it to us to turn this thread into a debate. Can't help it

We still don't know the origin of the big bang; though we've been able to track back to a tiny fraction of a second after it happened. We do know that time itself started at that instant too so it isn't valid to speak of "before the big bang". A mathematical physicist has recently produced a mathematical proof that the universe could have appeared from nothing. The math is very complex and beyond me, however it also goes to show that common sense fails completely when we talk about things so far outside of our daily experience. The way I picture this is that you can say zero = +1 + -1 In other words from nothing you now have something and "anti-something".

Humans and other great apes evolved from a common ancestor; this is especially evident when looking at DNA, not only the functional DNA we share but also the sections of so called "junk" DNA that gets passed down from species to species. As to why humans evolved we don't specifically know for sure, but then we don't know the exact circumstances that result in other new species, other than if a genetic change makes the individual more successful in exploiting its niche or exploiting a new niche then that pushes evolution forward. Getting very off topic now... I saw a documentary the other day that was exploring the idea that the key difference between homosapiens, Neanderthals, Denisonians and other great apes was a weaker jaw muscle which didn't need such a heavy skull to anchor it which lead to thinner skulls that were able to grow and hold a larger more sophisticated brain before the segments forming the skull fused. The increase in intelligence allowed homosapiens to out compete our cousins the Neanderthals and other great apes. We didn't need to rely on our weaker jaw to attack or defend ourselves, our increased intelligence won out with the ability to form social groups to hunt collaboratively and also to make primitive weapons and traps. It is quite interesting speculating on the specific details of our evolution; but we do know for a fact that it happened.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 2:38 pm

AspERMD wrote:
I do believe as a doctor and scientist that the human body and ecosystem are intricately organized which goes against entropy and that even if you accept the big boom the star had to come from somewhere. So I think there is a God at LEAST on the form of initial energy input. It would be nice if there is someone looking out for me, I was less anxious when I truly believed that. But my mom thinks I can believe enough and pray away my son's autism, and that seems delusional.

I would love for my son to have the moral grounding I had as I am still very moral and kind, albeit in an obligatory rigid way. I could also use some friends and support as we are away from famil. So if someone could help me believe again I'd be much obliged.

Don't know if I'm qualified to give advice here (I'm not Christian, but I do have a strong set of spiritual beliefs), but I'll give it a try--take or leave it as you will.

"God on the form of initial energy input"--that is more or less how I see deity as well, at least at the "highest" level. In that sense, a "piece of God" exists in all of us, and every thing (animate or inanimate) that exists. Therefore, that "piece" IS looking out for us, in terms of what some call a "Higher Self". It lets/helps us look out for ourselves, along with "Guidance" in a spiritual sense. It is that "Guidance" that gives us any "moral grounding" that comes from Spirit, while the rest comes from "earthly", secular teachings of the type that others in this thread have already mentioned.

Not sure if that actually helps, but that's my take on things here. :)

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

AspERMD
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Aug 2014, 2:58 pm

Somewhere along the way I swallowed a red pill. Wish I could go back and take the blue. If God doesn't exist then as long as we aren't killing or shaming in His name there's no harm and there's a lot of goodwill and peace that can come out of it