Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 10:04 pm

Yeah, The Kinks are good.

2cat007
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Nov 2014, 11:44 pm

I feel like I fit in on wrong planet most of the time.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 12:30 am

I feel more of a sense of belonging even after reading the last few replies. You're all such Sweet Peas. :P

SignOfLazarus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 1:54 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
...I also feel that it's better for me to be myself than it is to force myself to enjoy and live in the present, but there were members who have tried to convince me otherwise.

This. A buncha lotta this.
I think it is really important to develop a good sense of who you are [like I indicated in my first post] but it took me a while to realize just how valuable that was to me- as I got older and older it became clear that very few people really value anyone having a solid sense of self or what they think, and then being comfortable to stick with that. more often you are outcast- not specifically because you disagree, but because you have the gall to feel comfortable in the fact that your point of view does not align.

Though, that doesn't make me comfortable with everyone else. Ha.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

12 Nov 2014, 1:59 am

There are a lot of people here that I relate to and feel I have similar struggles, beliefs, and life experiences with so in that way I feel I fit in. On the other hand, I'm not sure anybody feels that way about me or would care if I just disappeared one day even tho I've been here a long time but I feel that way in real life too. I guess it's impossible to know what other people think of you if they even do at all especially here on the internet. You get what you put into it I guess, I'm a pretty impersonal and guarded person so I can't really expect anything different. As I've gotten older, it seems like making friends even on the internet has gotten harder.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

12 Nov 2014, 2:06 am

I feel like I fit in here better than any other forum I used.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

B19
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 2:14 am

Yes, me too. And I have had some very good experiences here that I will always remember, particularly recently. When I needed and asked for support, it was given in spades :lol:

bguimaraes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Nov 2014, 2:17 am

I don't fit in anything, even here.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 9:06 am

What's wrong with being obsessed with the Kinks anyway? They were a great pop/rock group who were able to go beyond pop/rock's clichéd lyrics, yet still create good pop/rock music.

It's better than being obsessed with some screwed-up ideology!

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 10:05 am

No, I do not fit in here. I do not have anything in common with 95% of people here. I do not get 95% of the games people play here in the game, role playing, count to this from that, list this or that, blah, blah, blah. Nothing entertaining in any of that stuff. This is more a place for people between the ages of 14-35 for the most part only see maybe 5 people here that I can relate to. That may be my own fault because how I express myself maybe alienates people but, oh well.

But this is a place to blow some time in the middle of the night even though most of what goes on relates to people who are much younger than me.

SignOfLazarus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 10:15 am

khaoz wrote:
No, I do not fit in here. I do not have anything in common with 95% of people here. I do not get 95% of the games people play here in the game, role playing, count to this from that, list this or that, blah, blah, blah.

It seems like people are referring to those kinds of threads/that area of the board as a huge part of the forum, but I have responded to maybe two that were asking specific questions and were more "getting to know you" deals. I don't feel I've missed out on any part of the board.

Am I missing out on a large part of the users or is this a huge focus of the board- not necessarily in activity but in actual focus. Like do a lot of members only go to this area?

I signed up in May but I still have no idea what is going on half the time ha.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 10:38 am

SignOfLazarus wrote:
khaoz wrote:
No, I do not fit in here. I do not have anything in common with 95% of people here. I do not get 95% of the games people play here in the game, role playing, count to this from that, list this or that, blah, blah, blah.

It seems like people are referring to those kinds of threads/that area of the board as a huge part of the forum, but I have responded to maybe two that were asking specific questions and were more "getting to know you" deals. I don't feel I've missed out on any part of the board.

Am I missing out on a large part of the users or is this a huge focus of the board- not necessarily in activity but in actual focus. Like do a lot of members only go to this area?

I signed up in May but I still have no idea what is going on half the time ha.

You need only view the "most recent posts page" to see that the "games section" constitutes a huge portion of WP, plus a lot of these "games"are threaded in the "random forums" instead of the games section

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 11:02 am

SignOfLazarus wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
...I also feel that it's better for me to be myself than it is to force myself to enjoy and live in the present, but there were members who have tried to convince me otherwise.

This. A buncha lotta this.
I think it is really important to develop a good sense of who you are [like I indicated in my first post] but it took me a while to realize just how valuable that was to me- as I got older and older it became clear that very few people really value anyone having a solid sense of self or what they think, and then being comfortable to stick with that. more often you are outcast- not specifically because you disagree, but because you have the gall to feel comfortable in the fact that your point of view does not align....

^^^ Exactly that - I agree fully.

I've come to believe that to be autistic is to know what it is truly like to stand alone.

I enjoy spending time on WP. I usually stick to the General Discussion Forum. I find this forum provides a whole lot more comfort than the <<unreal>> world does. There's some good folk that hang around here. :D

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 12:27 pm

I don?t think I would know if I fitted in, as a nubie my experiences are positive (relative to IRL). Fitting in attempts are exhausting and hard to maintain, it seems like pressure, a social pressure that is already present in most areas of my life. It?s nice that a wrong planet exists where fitting in (in the typical sense) is not a normative standard to achieve. I like it here because everyone is really different and generally an alright/nice group of randomly selected people that share what they have learned and help each other out.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 3:19 pm

Graelwyn wrote:

Well you could look back through my ancient post history and would most likely not find a single example of me telling anyone they are not trying hard enough or to stop feeling sorry for themselves. I am speaking of some years ago, when I stopped being a regular member here. In my past, I was nothing but supportive to others, especially in the haven, but in the end, it was overwhelming the positivity on the site, at that time and it can drive you down if you atr battling to try and push past your own negativity and pessimism. Since I have not been here in years, barely at all during your time here, I certainly cannot be blamed for any accusations during your tenure here :)

I don't mean you have done this, not sure I have seen much of your posting anyways...but I've seen it take place often enough to feel it was worth mentioning. Also I guess I don't really feel dragged down when I read posts about someones crappy situation....there are times I got too much of my own stuff going on and I have to limit my exposure to that but I don't feel it really takes away from positivity on the site as a whole.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 4:03 pm

B19 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
B19 wrote:
One thing I notice is the tendency of some members to immediately attack people who disagree with them. Most of these take this form: instead of simply saying "I disagree", they go straight to "you are wrong" and in doing that, they are automatically placing themselves above the person they are disagreeing with.

I do understand that some people have a psychological need to do this, that some fall into the trap of putting others down because they need to feel better about themselves, and they don't know how else to do that. Hopefully when they know better they will do better. Though it does blight this place for me. However there are more good things than bad, that's for sure.

Also, can I say to those very few who routinely use sarcasm to put others down:

sarcasm is not a form of humour; it is a form of anger. It is not clever; it is aggression. There are much better ways to own and deal with the your anger, better for you as well as your targets. Sarcasm is a no-winners action.

Sarcasm can certainly be a form of humor, ever hear of satire?

Also could it be sometimes people are confronted with things they find to be wrong? Its not nessisarily putting oneself above someone to say they are wrong. Everyone is wrong sometimes anyways.

In response to your question, (which sounds sarcastic) the answer is yes, I first heard of it about 50 years ago. Martha Anderson in this quote nicely explains the difference between sarcasm and satire:

""Satire humorously and effectively makes a constructive point and shows the absurdity of a point of view, of a lifestyle, of a situation. The intent and end result can be instructive and edifying.

Sarcasm, however, most often is used in one-on-one verbal conversation or in email or text messaging as a conversation starter (and often stopper!), or as what is thought to be a witty comeback or humorous jab. The sarcastic person thinks they are being witty, clever or humorous, or they may simply be a social misfit who doesn't know how to communicate in any other way, but their words can come across to the recipient as hurtful, demeaning, or even downright cruel. Not instructive -- not edifying -- not really accomplishing anything positive for either person."

I wasn't really attempting to be sarcastic.

And figured satire was a type of sarcasm, of course people can be mean with sarcasm but I don't think it is always mean, or meant to be. Sometimes people also take things personally...I know I tend to sometimes and tends to work better if I keep that in mind rather than instantly accusing someone of trying to be mean without assessing a bit more.