Page 5 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

RinpocheMacGuffin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Apr 2016, 8:23 pm

zkydz wrote:
There was nothing in the testing that I took that would have even opened up that line of questioning.

I think there are a few different types of IQ tests WAIS, SBIT are two of them, & each with their own scale of measurement. I can't remember which one I took but the clinician at that time had a few unusual methods & I guess my real point was how personal external factors can affect the result, creating an impurity in the resultant quotient sample. The day I sat mine, my brain would have argued the existence of the room we were sat in :)

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 8:30 pm

JonOssim1337 wrote:
What is you main interest?

I haven't a main interest. I like anthropology, linguistics, psychology, biology, visual art, cooking, fitness, etc. I can be interested in many things, but I tend to be much more absorbed in my interests (obsessive) than normal people.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 1:23 am

I really appreciate the compliments you guys. About the common sense thing, my office clerk used to tell me at my old job about how I have to use my common sense. So I figured I didn't have common sense because I'm literal and don't connect the dots well so he always made me feel I was stupid. Then on another forum an aspie kept saying I was doing BS when I said I lacked common sense and he said I did have it. I guess I was dealing with abuse at my old work if he kept telling me to use my common sense and how it's common sense to just know something without him spoon feeding words to me. But it's all confusing you know because each person has their own opinion about you. For one person you lack common sense, for others you have it. I bet I could ask my mother things about me and she will say yes yes yes to it and then I can go to another person who knows me and they might say no no no. But I think parents tend to be more bias about their children. There was one guy that told me how his autistic child isn't that sensitive to noise but his ex wife said the opposite. She told me that after moving to the country, he had been doing better with behavior because there is less traffic and less noise and instead of 50 cars driving by each day, there are only about five cars that drive by. Wait a minute I thought he wasn't that sensitive to noise, see? Parents are bias about their children. My mom will say I have empathy but my husband will say the opposite. My mom said my ex wasn't very smart because he barely graduated but he didn't get any help in school is why but yet she thinks I am very smart but I wouldn't have graduated either if I didn't get help through school and she doesn't think I am dumb but yet she thought that of my ex, another example of how bias parents are about their kids.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

Last edited by League_Girl on 29 Apr 2016, 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 1:29 am

In some areas I have deficient cognitive ability.
In others I come out as a literal genius.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 2:03 am

League_Girl wrote:
I really appreciate the compliments you guys. About the common sense thing, my office clerk used to tell me at my old job about how I have to use my common sense. So I figured I didn't have common sense because I'm literal and don't connect the dots well so he always made me feel I was stupid. Then on another forum an aspie kept saying I was doing BS when I said I lacked common sense and he said I did have it. I guess I was dealing with abuse at my old work if he kept telling me to use my common sense and how it's common sense to just know something without him spoon feeding words to me. But it's all confusing you know because each person has their own opinion about you. For one person you lack common sense, for others you have it. I bet I could ask my mother things about me and she will say yes yes yes to it and then I can go to another person who knows me and they might say no no no. But I think parents tend to be more bias about their children. There was one guy that told me how his autistic child isn't that sensitive to noise but his ex wife said the opposite. She told me that after moving to the country, he had been doing better with behavior because there is less traffic and less noise and instead of 50 cars driving by each day, there are only about five cars that drive by. Wait a minute I thought he wasn't that sensitive to noise, see? Parents are bias about their children. My mom will say I have empathy but my husband will say the opposite. My mom said my ex wasn't very smart because he barely graduated but he didn't get any help in school is why but yet she thinks I am very smart but I wouldn't have graduated either if I didn't get help through school and she doesn't think I am dumb but yet she thought that of my ex, another example of how bias parents are about their kids.

Yes, it can be hard to receive conflicting information from different people. It's hard to know what to believe. I just try to go with what makes the most sense, and what I tend to hear the most from people about my behavior.

Parents definitely can be biased about their children. It's something to be aware of, as you are already.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 1:35 pm

League_Girl wrote:
My last IQ score was a 99 for overall.

A IQ of 99 is average, very average even, to the point it can hardly be more average; so it don't mean you suck. Also, on a test with multiple sections like the Weschler, while NT got rather consistent scores in the different section, aspies/auties got inconsistent scores, and taking account of each of those individual scores say more about our cognitive strengths/weakness that the global score. Then there is a lot of reasons a smart person can score lower that his/her strengths.

Kenya wrote:
I took an IQ test recently and scored 148. For context, my mom told me that 160 is genius level. But maybe that's just me.

Was that a official test?

JonOssim1337 wrote:
Unfortunate Aspie, I know how you feel, my friend. My mom had me diagnosed with HFA when I was 5. I scored off the charts all my life in fields such as science, and language. But, my mom had horrible taste in men. My stepfather, and his family, and my half SISTER mind you would all physically abuse me, and mentally abuse me. They made me feel like the most insignificant lifeform in the universe. I still suffer from the psychological damage. He hated me literally, because I was smarter than him at such a young age. I was treated terribly ALL THROUGHOUT school too. That's why I dropped out. Now I spend my life coming up with theories and playing with Legos.

You should make contact with KagamineLen, his backstory is quite similar to yours. http://wrongplanet.net/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=70301

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 2:29 pm

Quote:
A IQ of 99 is average, very average even, to the point it can hardly be more average; so it don't mean you suck. Also, on a test with multiple sections like the Weschler, while NT got rather consistent scores in the different section, aspies/auties got inconsistent scores, and taking account of each of those individual scores say more about our cognitive strengths/weakness that the global score. Then there is a lot of reasons a smart person can score lower that his/her strengths.

Mine used to be inconsistent like I used to score in the below average range for overall and my verbal IQ would be low too but my performance IQ would be average. Then in 5th grade they were consistent finally because my verbal IQ was 92 and my performance was still the same and my IQ was a 99 overall but I was still having problems so I think that was how they discovered I had more going on than just a language delay I had. It was also discovered I was very concrete. I think before then everything was blamed on my language disorder for all my learning problems and academic delays and social skills and everything. But one thing that bothers me is "other health impairment" because I don't like the idea of my learning style and the way I process things being called a health issue and saying I am not healthy and that I am weak and that I am limited in my strength or blaming my poor social skills on being healthy unfit. Why not call it something else like "other disability." My special ed teacher told me it was just a category when I asked her at 17 what was wrong with my health when I saw what IEP category I was under. But in elementary school I was under like specific language impairment or whatever the category was. My elementary school even tried to say in 6th grade that I had a behavior disorder and wanted to ship me off to another school that had a classroom for kids with behavior disorders that were violent because they didn't want to deal with me and they wanted to do it their way and their way didn't work with me so they wanted to say I had a behavior disorder. I did have behavior problems but it was just due to my frustration or because of hyperactivity and I have heard of worse things kids have done during behavior issues so mine were pretty minor.

But I hear while aspies tend to get a high verbal IQ score, people with more classic autism get a lower score on it. But so do kids with communication delays so their overall IQ would also be low while an aspie's score would be high or in the average range.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 10:47 pm

So many people assume I have a high iq but it's not the case at all. I have a few very debilitating issues with my IQ
Such as poor working memory, verbal processing and the speed in which I process information. I have a pretty good long term memory especially in visual and spatial processing. I have a good photographic memory and a pretty good memory when it comes to music but it seems that I can't retain any math lessons that don't rely on visual examples, my reading is very very poor and speaking skills are poor but that's kinda expected with the disorder, it's not the words but the sentence structure is pretty bad. But I'm still smart in certain areas, I just have weaknesses which is fine.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 10:59 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
So many people assume I have a high iq but it's not the case at all. I have a few very debilitating issues with my IQ
Such as poor working memory, verbal processing and the speed in which I process information. I have a pretty good long term memory especially in visual and spatial processing. I have a good photographic memory and a pretty good memory when it comes to music but it seems that I can't retain any math lessons that don't rely on visual examples, my reading is very very poor and speaking skills are poor but that's kinda expected with the disorder, it's not the words but the sentence structure is pretty bad. But I'm still smart in certain areas, I just have weaknesses which is fine.

That entire post describes me perfectly but I have an IQ of 129. Those not necessarily a low IQ problems, more like autism problems. Have you ever taken an IQ test?

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 11:27 pm

mikeman7918 wrote:
ZombieBrideXD wrote:

That entire post describes me perfectly but I have an IQ of 129. Those not necessarily a low IQ problems, more like autism problems. Have you ever taken an IQ test?

A IQ test was preformed on me in early 2013 and that's how I got my information, the IQ test showed clear signs of issues in specific areas of IQ, biggest one being short term memory loss or slow information processing, which explains why I repeat things over and over, I need more time to process things,

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 1:37 am

My processing speed is also really low compared to the rest of the areas in which I was tested. The rest of my scores are very high, so the processing speed is actually still above average. However, based on what I have read, having one area so much lower than all of the others indicates that I do have a deficiency there, even though it's above average, because it should be much closer to all of the rest of my scores.

I think slower processing speed is common with those who have ASD.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 6:03 am

I have very low processing speed.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 2:51 pm

lonely autistic wrote:
Does anyone here feel they have a low iq? I always felt like I was, Im 35 and feel my whole life tha everything was hard for me! I never felt I was really talented at anything, I had no special gifts and had to work extra hard to do anything even the most menial tasks, I'd like to take an IQ test sometime and know for sure but do any of you feel this way and do you feel some autistic people have low IQ'S
Your confusing low iq with Learning difficulties, I have a extremly High iq and Do well in school but I still have a gap of a learning disability and still get straight A+s so it is not that you might want to research things like dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalcia, Learning disabilities, Language Disability, and etc. These are Extremely common in autism, so is Hyperlexia. Most Autistic people have on of these, Each one Less none then the last (Startin with dyslexia). You probably have one of this Dysgraphia writing difficulties mostly handwriting but can effect typing so can dyslexia, closely related with dyslexia), Dyslexia (Reading closely related to dysgraphia), and Dyscalcia (Inability to do math). Mabye Dysphrasia but that can be explained better by nonverbal spouts, and or Complete nonverbalness. so yeah.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 4:29 pm

I have had my IQ tested many times and they were relatively consistent. Usually between 78-89. The most recent one I took a few weeks ago was the 89 score. That is low average. I have tested once at 101 but that wasn't accurate for a few reasons. So I just say 78-89. Some are borderline intellectual functioning. My processing speed was very low and same with my short term memory. Some of the subtests I scored a 5 or 6 when the average is 10. The highest one I believe (I could be wrong this is from memory) is 13 and that was the pattern finding one. My highest score has been patterns for awhile now. Online tests don't count they are very inaccurate. Even I scored very high on the online test some nearly in the genius level. If someone met me for the first time they would think I am smart but as they got to know me more, they notice that I have very repetitive thinking and narrow interests. Psychology is one of my interests and the subject I know the most about. Once people realize that I can't figure out simple things but just know things by rote memorization then their opinion of my intelligence gets much lower. They would think I just have a low average IQ at that point. Since this is my IQ I feel worthless and dumb. I have always had to be put in remedial classes in school and that is why I graduated with honors is because I had extra help.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 4:46 pm

^That's very interesting. You don't seem as though you have a low IQ to me, based on how you write. It makes me wonder how accurate IQ tests are for those with ASD. I don't think that they were designed with autistic people in mind.

I know that poor motor skills can negatively affect scores. I have very good fine motor skills, but if I'm nervous, my hands shake. I scored the highest possible score on block design when I took the one test. The blocks were connected to a board and got flipped. So I was quite fast, as it didn't matter if my hands were shaking or unsteady from nervousness.

The next time I took an IQ test, the blocks were just loose, not attached to anything. I was very nervous and my hands shook like crazy. I knew how to do it right away, but I kept having trouble getting them into position. So my times were still good, but much slower. It makes me wonder how often these things happen, thus skewing the results.

I also would have done much better taking the test on a computer without someone watching and making me nervous. I don't know how anyone can concentrate with some psychologist staring at them for hours. Much too distracting.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 7:23 pm

Has anyone else been noticing the misspelled word in the thread title?