Do you have an unusual-sounding voice?

Page 5 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ILA
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2007, 7:01 pm

The majority of people who comment on my voice seem to think my voice carries an Australian or American accent. Rarer observations include French [to one person I sounded like Thierry Henry], Russian, German and Welsh.

Incidentally I was born in Australia [Melbourne to be specific] and have lived here all my life, never been abroad at any stage. When the possibility of my having AS hadn't crossed my mind, my brother speculated that the American accent came about as a result of being exposed to more American voices during my years of social isolation.

Well, here's a recording of my voice I made with our microphone.

http://media.putfile.com/the-beach-52

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 10:26 pm

ILA wrote:
The majority of people who comment on my voice seem to think my voice carries an Australian or American accent. Rarer observations include French [to one person I sounded like Thierry Henry], Russian, German and Welsh.

Incidentally I was born in Australia [Melbourne to be specific] and have lived here all my life, never been abroad at any stage. When the possibility of my having AS hadn't crossed my mind, my brother speculated that the American accent came about as a result of being exposed to more American voices during my years of social isolation.

Well, here's a recording of my voice I made with our microphone.

http://media.putfile.com/the-beach-52

The link didn't work for me. Try posting it again- I want to hear! :D

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 11:52 pm

Two days ago a secretary from the hospital called us and she ask for my mom. I told her my mom hadn't arrived yet. Then she told "Are you alone, or there is an adult with you?". I was confused, and I told her "Sorry, but nobody here with me". The secretary didn't have choice and left the message for my mom. Next, she told me "Don't forget tell your mom, it's very important your mom know this, how old are you?", "I'm 20" I responded. She told me "Oh, I thought you were a girl, your voice sounds like a kid's voice, I'm sorry".

But my sister said once my voice sounds like an older person's voice. :?

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 12:02 pm

I really can't stand hearing my voice I had a typical aspie voice when I was a kid but now it's gone I speak very clearly some people say I have a booming loud voice I tend to keep it down espeically in social events. But the thing is i've got a cockney accent which I cannot stand at all

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 12:03 pm

MrMacPhisto wrote:
I really can't stand hearing my voice I had a typical aspie voice when I was a kid but now it's gone I speak very clearly some people say I have a booming loud voice I tend to keep it down espeically in social events. But the thing is i've got a cockney accent which I cannot stand at all

what would you say is a typical aspie voice?

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 12:17 pm

I don't know how to discribe it but there is someone who lives downstairs from me who is AS and he talks exactly how I used to talk when was his age he is about 11 years old

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 4:37 pm

Yes i have a little girl voice. I talk very softly with a lisp. When i say really it sounds like weally. I have trouble with volume control. People say they can't hear me but then i speak more loudly and they complain i'm yelling at them :roll:

ILA
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jun 2007, 5:28 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
The link didn't work for me. Try posting it again- I want to hear! :D

Alas the recording in question was uploaded some time ago and my attempts to search the hard drive for it has amounted to naught. Still, here's some other recordings, taking into account your problem with putfile I've used a different uploading service.

http://www.box.net/shared/7sy8fcjusr

http://www.box.net/shared/ghe46gno3d

http://www.box.net/shared/ns4z21hd4y

Hopefully they work, and if they do, don't mind the randomness. :lol:

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 5:58 pm

The volume and pitch of mine goes up and down all the time...

Novelist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jun 2007, 8:08 pm

My voice seems to be a pretty normal baritone, but:

a) it covers a pretty wide range, almost 3 octaves. (Choir directors think I'm neat. :mrgreen: )
b) I tend to lapse into odd accents on short notice. (My wife thinks I'm neat, because she likes being read to at night and I can do all the characters in books with different voices.)

Anyone else find that they do different accents well?

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 11:12 pm

Novelist wrote:
Anyone else find that they do different accents well?

I can. I don't think I have an odd voice though, at least I have never been told that I have.

I have a problem of picking up speach paterns and pronunciations of people from different regions if I am around them too much though.

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 4:31 am

Yeah I'm good at accents.

And I tend to accidentally mimic people I'm around, which is embarrassing sometimes.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 10:03 am

I can do different accents when I hear alot of U2 I tend to talk for a while with an Irish accent and I know or knew someone from the North West of England and when I hanged around with that person I tend to start having a slight Liverpool accent even though I have a cockney London accent

kt-64
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 11:56 am

I can have a metallic voice at times (Al Gore voice). But then I can speak eloquently.

Desolation_boi
Raven
Raven

03 Jun 2007, 2:27 pm

scrulie wrote:
Yeah I'm good at accents.

And I tend to accidentally mimic people I'm around, which is embarrassing sometimes.

That happens to me often too. Whenever I'm out with people from abroad, others asuume I'm from there too. I just blend in i guess, it can get out of hand...

When tired/stressed my voice gets very flat, dull or "bored". Last night(this morning?) when me and some friends were hanging out at my friends house after our prom, they were saying I sounded dead. It was like 3 in the morning and we were so tired we were practicaly delusional. I was totally out of it, and my voice was like a robot, it was very strange (normally not that bad)! but then maybe that's normal...?

Kris94
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2007, 2:37 pm

my voice is high pitched and i talk very quickly most of the time.
i think it sounds cool. :D