Asperger's Syndrome May Be the Root of Society's Ills

Page 5 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 9:33 am

NeantHumain wrote:
In all honesty, you are upset too easily.

Not to infer anything here, but that's what most NTs say to me when they don't understand the concept of social and emotional retadation.

I'm the Rhymin' Red Rover, and that's where I'll be.

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 9:36 am

NeantHumain wrote:
A lie is meant to deceive for personal gain.

A lie is ANYTHING other than the truth:

Lie:

A false statement deliberately presented as being true; a falsehood.
Something meant to deceive or give a wrong impression.

I'm the Rhymin' Red Rover, and that's where I'll be.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 10:43 am

DeepThought wrote:
A lie is ANYTHING other than the truth:

Lie:

A false statement deliberately presented as being true; a falsehood.
Something meant to deceive or give a wrong impression.

A lie is a matter of will; if my intention was to lie, I have lied. A person can tell the objective truth but be lying because they believed that what they were telling was false. Moreover, it is socially acceptable to say some things that are untrue as entertainment. Movies and most novels are not literally true; they require the audience or reader to suspend reality. Actors, directors, authors, and playwrights are not considered to be liars(unless it's for something else). Entertainers usually (but not always) expect the audience/reader/viewer to realize the story is not literally true.

A lie is usually told to meet one's own goals that could not be met through honesty. If a person does not have the education and experience for a job but falsifies their résumé and says untrue things to the interviewer, that is lying. A white lie, of course, is the more socially acceptable form of lying: If a person dislikes, for example, someone's cookies, they might lie and say that they did enjoy the cookies because the greater wrong, in this case, would be to cause the other person emotional dispondancy.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 12:41 pm

Maybe you should post these things in the music and writings section instead of having people believe it.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 1:54 pm

eamonn wrote:
Maybe you should post these things in the music and writings section instead of having people believe it.

Then there's no chance for Socratic irony.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 2:43 pm

I would rather you be the type of troll who says "YOU SUCK!! !" or something. There is no point to prove if you make people ANGRY when doing it. Then the entire point is missed. And that's not our fault but yours for the inability to predict it. But you KEEP doing it, over and over again... Grrrrrr. :evil:

And by the way, a "joke" takes two people. If one of them isn't aware that it's a joke, it ISN'T a joke.

Stop trolling! It'll only make people dislike you for it. Plus, half of your posts are troll posts at least (or those posts which you lovingly refer to as "jokes" or "half-serious, half-joking").

And the other half are your "adore me, talk about me" posts or the ones where you're showing off how much "knowledge" you have after reading a couple articles on Wikipedia.

I wish we could bring back the IGNORE BUTTON...
:evil: :evil: :evil:

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 10:35 pm

Sophist wrote:
Stop trolling! It'll only make people dislike you for it. Plus, half of your posts are troll posts at least (or those posts which you lovingly refer to as "jokes" or "half-serious, half-joking").

It takes the monotony out of my day. I'd describe my life as a flat line with occasional tiny blips of being interested. Trolling helps me make a few blips.

Sophist wrote:
And the other half are your "adore me, talk about me" posts

After Sarcastic_Name told me in a PM on IRC that I was not saying enough about myself and my issues involving AS—just asking people a bunch of questions and writing polls—I decided to to make more posts describing my personal situations to see how common they are to other aspies and how other aspies dealt with them. I'm not really expecting people to talk exclusively about my situation but more theirs and their speculation about causes and solutions.

Sophist wrote:
or the ones where you're showing off how much "knowledge" you have after reading a couple articles on Wikipedia.

I enjoy reading Wikipedia very much. Why should I make posts about something I have zero interest in or knowledge of? That makes no sense. The concept of showing off doesn't occur to me.

I am at a loss to understand why you would assume I'm trying to get people to fawn over me and be in awe of my knowledge. I enjoy discussing ideas, the Enlightenment ideal; and I'm sure many other aspies share this view. I do sometimes like to use less orthodox methods of describing my views, but everyone has their own way.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 10:53 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Sophist wrote:

It takes the monotony out of my day. I'd describe my life as a flat line with occasional tiny blips of being interested. Trolling helps me make a few blips.

Well, I'm glad we can help entertain you.

Suggestion: Find something else to occupy your time.

And glad to see you have an excuse for everything. :roll:

Question: Have you been getting an overwhelmingly positive response from trolling-- not counting your own reactions? How many people have made negative comments about it so far?

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 11:01 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
I am at a loss to understand why you would assume I'm trying to get people to fawn over me and be in awe of my knowledge. I enjoy discussing ideas, the Enlightenment ideal; and I'm sure many other aspies share this view. I do sometimes like to use less orthodox methods of describing my views, but everyone has their own way.

In addition you spout the DSM and ICD right and left as if all answers lie within them. You use them constantly and haphazardly. And I'm sure I'm being hypocrytical when I say that. But I wish the DSM and ICD were never allowed to be purchased by the public, because there was a time when they were not available to the lay person for those very reasons.

Yes, call me a hypocrite if you like because I make reference to it, too. But is not a book to live by nor to back up all arguments. It has too many flaws to mention and should be read by skeptical eyes and backed up by other materials.

It's just... disrespectful of the people that are represented by that book, to use it right and left as though it's some toy. Hypocrite, yes, yes, I know. Hypocrite. I'm a hypocrite. So there.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 11:12 pm

Sophist wrote:
In addition you spout the DSM and ICD right and left as if all answers lie within them. You use them constantly and haphazardly. And I'm sure I'm being hypocrytical when I say that. But I wish the DSM and ICD were never allowed to be purchased by the public, because there was a time when they were not available to the lay person for those very reasons.

I sometimes use psychiatric diagnoses jokingly to show how easily the concepts can be extended into outer space. For example, I "diagnosed" my college's administrative bureaucracy with obsessive-compulsive (anakastic) personality disorder.

Sophist wrote:
Yes, call me a hypocrite if you like because I make reference to it, too. But is not a book to live by nor to back up all arguments. It has too many flaws to mention and should be read by skeptical eyes and backed up by other materials.

You suggested it; so I won't deny it; but I won't affirm it, either. Honestly, whether you are a hypocrite or not doesn't matter much to me.

Sophist wrote:
It's just... disrespectful of the people that are represented by that book, to use it right and left as though it's some toy. Hypocrite, yes, yes, I know. Hypocrite. I'm a hypocrite. So there.

The point is the DSM-IV-TR and Chapter V of the ICD-10 use inherently subjective criteria. For example, look at histrionic personality disorder. That could describe just about any sociable, good-looking woman. Narcissistic personality disorder easily describes a good chunk of politicians. Et cetera et cetera ad infinitum.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 11:16 pm

By God, you did it again!

*staring in disbelief that the point was utterly lost*
8O

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 11:16 pm

Sophist wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:
[Trolling] takes the monotony out of my day. I'd describe my life as a flat line with occasional tiny blips of being interested. Trolling helps me make a few blips.

I find this sort of activity inherently more enjoyable than, say, reading a book. I prefer interaction of any kind with other people.

Sophist wrote:

Thank you! :D I really do try, but it can be hard sometimes.

Sophist wrote:
Question: Have you been getting an overwhelmingly positive response from trolling-- not counting your own reactions? How many people have made negative comments about it so far?

I find the act of writing something a bit "subversive" in itself enjoyable. I have noticed some negative responses, particularly from you and a few others, though. I have noticed some people enjoy reading at least some of the posts I make. I can't say every post I make is informative and entertaining or profound. But that's life.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 11:19 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
I sometimes use psychiatric diagnoses jokingly

Jokingly? Why I am not believing you anymore?

Tell me another "joke".

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 11:22 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Sophist wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:
[Trolling] takes the monotony out of my day. I'd describe my life as a flat line with occasional tiny blips of being interested. Trolling helps me make a few blips.

I find this sort of activity inherently more enjoyable than, say, reading a book. I prefer interaction of any kind with other people.

Sophist wrote:

Thank you! :D I really do try, but it can be hard sometimes.

Sophist wrote:

I find the act of writing something a bit "subversive" in itself enjoyable. I have noticed some negative responses, particularly from you and a few others, though. I have noticed some people enjoy reading at least some of the posts I make. I can't say every post I make is informative and entertaining or profound. But that's life.

I am just not gonna even answer that one. You really live in a fantasy world. And you're the rosiest of all!

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 11:29 pm

Sophist wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:
I sometimes use psychiatric diagnoses jokingly

Jokingly? Why I am not believing you anymore?

Tell me another "joke".

You really need to see the world through absurdist, ironic lenses. Everything can be viewed on a continuum from reasonableness to the absurdity that lies when the principle is taken to its logical extreme. Every social more conflicts with another, somewhere, sometime. Nothing is too sacred to be above parody. Everything everyone does makes no sense in the great scheme of things. Every conversation is banal, trivial. Even our most respected intellectuals engage themselves in pettiness: The equation is no mighter than the the brush. Every profession likes to feel they have a stranglehold on "The Truth," as if we could even recognize it if it slapped us on the face. We build an identity out of lended parts: a touch of autism here, a bit of l'artiste there, the logician in that corner, Shakespeare aficionado over there. It all amounts to the same thing. We all live; we all breathe; someday we all die. If you make a life of great accomplishments, you'll be in the same position as the lazy slob when all is said and done.

Here now, we are adrift of all meaning. Everything is the same. Jadedness prevails. There lies a sense of irrelevancy. We are trapped in a life without pleasure, without value, with all hope a fantasy. We wish we could break all bounds and escape the unlife.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2005, 11:34 pm

Everything can be viewed on a spectrum from "I really like you" to "You're annoying as hell".

This is a community, Neant, with actual people. Not a plaything for your entertainment.

And I bet you're actually having a fun time with me getting angry at you, aren't you? I bet you're actually enjoying it.