Employed or unemployed? (ONLY FOR PEOPLE WITH ASPERGERS)

Page 5 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Wistaria
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Mar 2008, 8:10 pm

Technically my diagnosis is ASD and not Asperger's, but they're close enough, right...?

I'm unemployed. Not on 'benefits' (from government or otherwise), either. Apparently I'm not allowed to have any sort of income. :?

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 9:44 pm

Unemployed/ on Disability payments.

Everything goes very wrong when I try to work.

It's not pretty.

:cry:

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 1:04 am

Employed part-time to do bookkeeping at a grocery store. I'll have the chance to get raises and more hours than a courtesy clerk would. I just got hired so I'm going through training in that department and some cashier training. Before I got this job, I did temp assignments and seasonal retail during the Christmas holiday season.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Mar 2008, 1:13 am

Medically retired, and not due to the AS. I miss working, terribly. I miss having the structure and purpose to my days. Ah, well...

Cerumenator
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2008, 1:53 pm

Gainfully employed. Was on disability for several months in the past for surgeries.

Tournstone
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Apr 2008, 2:48 pm

Employed and just finished my MBA.

Ironically, employed as a director of Marketing & Communications.

My methods are more akin to "OZ working from behind the curtain" than getting out there and networking. I can go for short bursts in social/networking situations, but I can't take it for long.

Kezzstar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 7:35 pm

I'm employed as a storeperson in a defence warehouse, and it is HELL.

The counting is okay, until someone decides to 'help'. ARGH!! !! Leave me alone!! !! !! !! !

I want to leave at the end of the year and do journalism at uni. Journalism is a passion of mine.

I love writing, and interviewing people sounds okay.

Of course, I could always do a PhD and become a lecturer, which sounds better.

DeanFoley
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Apr 2008, 7:52 pm

Unemployed.

But then again, I am 14.

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 9:22 pm

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 7:19 am

I was diagnosed AS five years ago I currently work part time three-four days a week depending. However I have been in and out of work since finishing university, never had a job as a teen and had long periods of unemployment. Many aspies are unemployed but many "lucky" ones are able to make a career out of their special interest like my dad (almost certain AS) who was an academic.

kaytie
Toucan
Toucan

29 Apr 2008, 7:34 am

i used to work in a company 4 years ago..since then i work as a freelance tutor,which has off months march-may, right now i'm dreading to find out if i still have a job to go back to this june at the same time i'm taking steps to find another job since the current one is frustrating me already.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 11:17 am

I have been diagnosed with autism but act more like Asperger's now so hopefully I count.
I am unemployed but go to school and am a wildlife artist hopefully that will bring in some money. I also have a business that doesn't do anything right now but I will take classes so that will hopefully change.

AnnieDog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2008, 11:37 am

Employed. :)

I clawed my way in to a career by working towards my strengths and interests. It was an ugly road. I have been fired, I have walked off jobs mid-meltdown, I have been MISERABLE in certain things (retail, customer service). Mostly I needed to find a path out of the low-level stuff (hard) and a supportive boss (harder). Oh and it helped that I stopped mentioning my hobby (plague) in interviews and learned how to dress.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 2:16 pm

Michigan has the highest unemployment rates in the country, so you can guess where I stand ;)

Every time I go job hunting, the only things out there are RN and driving jobs...the only jobs I've had were ones that didn't require an interview...had one as a telemarketer, but I couldn't stand all of the lying to people and taking their money...the other job was with my friends doing third shift, which was great, except there was WAY too much multitasking, dust, paper, and NOISE.

It was cool that I could just hang with my friends, work at my own pace, and listen to music...but dang, those other things really got to me =/ Not to mention, there were way too many things there for me to hurt myself on (and I took every chance I got, it seems).

Really need to find something soon, I got so used to having money and being able to buy things, that the urge is still there :x Bank account's getting a bit low =/ I don't even care if it's part time and minimum wage, but there's just nothing out there at all (especially after weeding out the one or two jobs that will overstim me).

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 3:33 pm

I am unemployed.

I don't feel I belong into job that require me to look up to employer unless it is computer. I lost my ambition on job that I don't like to take when I got it. I have other disability that prevent me from choosing job.

Right now. I am hoping that I win my SSI disability hearing court. I am going to need it for my business and other finance area where working for noone but myself become a reality. If I don't win SSI case, I am no match for this world.

I have done self-employed computer work before but the marketing is weak. I need money for marketing.