Ever become terrified you're not the "real deal"?

Page 5 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 7:52 pm

Sora wrote:
Anyway, I don't understand why the label itself soothes someone mind that they're not bad or idiotic, but good and special.

I cannot understand how this change of opinion is induced just by a random person declaring anyone autistic. Even through it's probably real and people are happy and relieved after having a label. But for me, this change could only ever happen from within myself. A label could point me into the right direction, but I'd have to do all the thinking and feeling part to form another opinion based on this label.

It gave me peace of mind because I only questioned myself when others questioned me. A lot of Aspies and NTs refuse to acknowledge you as part of the autistic community if you lack an official dx, they spend all this time telling you you're just a filthy little liar and you're worth nothing. Eventually you start to believe it.
So the dx helps both validate you to yourself and to the community.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 9:42 pm

It just makes me mad sometimes when I see a few friends of mine claim they have every single disorder known to man.

"I'm schizophrenic, Bipolar, Autistic, OCD, ADD, ADHD, Multiple personalities, Social anxietied, NVLD, Dyslexia, Dyscalculic, Gender-identity disordor'd, PTSD, I've got all the major phobias...Did I mention that i'm also a hypochondriac?"

8O

I worry about that, too. I wonder If I'm really autistic or not, and whether or not I'm really gifted like my parents say I am. :?

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 9:44 pm

demoluca wrote:
It just makes me mad sometimes when I see a few friends of mine claim they have every single disorder known to man.

"I'm schizophrenic, Bipolar, Autistic, OCD, ADD, ADHD, Multiple personalities, Social anxietied, NVLD, Dyslexia, Dyscalculic, Gender-identity disordor'd, PTSD, I've got all the major phobias...Did I mention that i'm also a hypochondriac?"

8O

Next time someone gives you a mouthful, ask them how can they possibly cope in a harsh world like this? I would love to hear their answers :)

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 9:49 pm

lionesss wrote:
demoluca wrote:

8O

Next time someone gives you a mouthful, ask them how can they possibly cope in a harsh world like this? I would love to hear their answers :)

I asked her once how she was not in a rubber-room and she said 'WHY WOULD I BE IN ONE?'.

And then I told her there was no-way she could have all those and she brought out her copy of the DSM and started quoting things... 8O

Last edited by demoluca on 07 Sep 2008, 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 9:51 pm

Aurore wrote:
Before I got my official dx I worried about this. I'm high functioning and my symptoms often aren't very severe. I heard so much talk about people 'faking' autism all the time that it became one of my horrible anxieties that maybe I was just some sort of crazy liar. Anyone else ever experience this fear?

No ... not that fear. Mine is more like a sense of anxiety around the idea of being outted as an Aspie - I haven't told anyone else.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 10:05 pm

demoluca wrote:
lionesss wrote:
demoluca wrote:

8O

I asked her once how she was not in a rubber-room and she said 'WHY WOULD I BE IN ONE?'.

And then I told her there was no-way she could have all those and she brought out her copy of the DSM and started quoting things... 8O

figures :lol:

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 10:10 pm

lionesss wrote:
demoluca wrote:
lionesss wrote:
demoluca wrote:

8O

She told me about all of her obviously Mentally ill tendencies and started talking about auras... 8O

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 10:11 pm

demoluca wrote:
lionesss wrote:
demoluca wrote:
lionesss wrote:
demoluca wrote:

8O

She told me about all of her obviously Mentally ill tendencies and started talking about auras... 8O

wow keeps getting better! You must have been incredibly amused

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 10:16 pm

lionesss wrote:
demoluca wrote:
lionesss wrote:
demoluca wrote:
lionesss wrote:
demoluca wrote:

8O

I told her it was silly and never brought the issue up again...Except for one incident where she came up to me and started asking me things about autism, and i told her "Don't you already know? you have it!"

And she looked at me like ' :oops: '.

It was amusing at first but got annoying.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 10:19 pm

demoluca wrote:
lionesss wrote:
demoluca wrote:
lionesss wrote:
demoluca wrote:
lionesss wrote:
demoluca wrote:

8O

I told her it was silly and never brought the issue up again...Except for one incident where she came up to me and started asking me things about autism, and i told her "Don't you already know? you have it!"

And she looked at me like ' :oops: '.

It was amusing at first but got annoying.

It's truly amazing what people will say or do to gain attention! I am sure it got on your nerves in the end.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 10:22 pm

Quote:
It's truly amazing what people will say or do to gain attention! I am sure it got on your nerves in the end.

I was at the point where I was about ready to snap and shout

"ALL THAT 'EVIDENCE' DOES IS MAKE YOU A HYPOCHONDRIAC!"

And yah.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 10:30 pm

demoluca wrote:
Quote:

I was at the point where I was about ready to snap and shout

"ALL THAT 'EVIDENCE' DOES IS MAKE YOU A HYPOCHONDRIAC!"

And yah.

And people like that probably despise being called a hypochondriac. Because deep down they know its true, and the truth can be an ugly thing. Calling her that would have probably been enough to put her in her place.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 10:31 pm

I didn't, though.

And that's it.

We're kind of hijacking the thread, so, Until next time!
8)

Star
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2008, 12:23 am

CelticRose wrote:
I worry that if I do try to get a diagnosis, I won't get evaluated properly and be told I'm not an Aspie. I have no doubt that I am an Aspie, I just worry about the relative newness of AS as a diagnosis, the lack of research in adults and females, and the competency of doctors.

I know exactly what you mean because I went through much of this same worrying before I got my diagnosis. I am also an adult and female and I was terribly worried that I will not fit in the narrow clinical image they have of Asperher's based on the male majority of cases.

So, no it is not abnormal to have these fears but do not let them overwhelm you because as much as you worry, it will not help. Instead take measures to find the right person to diagnose you, one that has both experience with adults and with females with AS/autism. Do some research on line, on the phone if you can handle the interaction and ask questions to see how much clinical experience does a potential diagnosting doctor has.

If you can't get to do that, when you go for the diagnosis, do tell them about your worries and concerns. Do not feel ashamed you are worried to have every right to be. How could you not?

It almost feels like going to a doctor for a gender diagnosis and being told that you are not a female while you have been one all your life up to that point! That is how it feels when it comes to autism it is just an integrated part of who we are just like our gender.