Page 5 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Have you been Diagnosed with AS by a professional consultant psychiatrist???
YES 40%  40%  [ 27 ]
NO 60%  60%  [ 40 ]
Total votes : 67

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 7:12 am

Xanderbeanz wrote:
i like having my card which says "ATTENTION...THIS PERSON AS AN AUTISTIC SPECTRUM DISORDER"...i could probably punch a copper in the face and get away with it XD
Uuhh... well, don't. They'll just put it in the newspaper and people will get another article that says we are all violent.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 11:21 am

i was of course joking, i'd never disrespect a police officer :)

NobelCynic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 2:28 pm

Leaving aside the issues of time and money which have already been mentioned, a professional diagnosis would not change anything. I have always known I was strange, everyone who knows me knows that; I first heard the clinical name for it about two years ago and it has helped me to understand myself and why I am the way I am and, perhaps, why NT's react to me the way they do, but that's all.

I was treated for depression about 30 years ago. The doctors spotted that I was depressed (which I already knew) and that I was isolated from society (which I also knew) but they thought that the isolation was the cause of the depression and never suspected that that itself might have a cause. Should I give them more money now to tell them what they missed?

I have learned how to deal with NT's, at least as much as any NT could teach me. The only thing that would help now would be to educate NT's on how to deal with Aspie's; I doubt that you would find very many NT's who would be interested though. After all, they're the ones who are normal and they're in the majority; why should they change?

namariel
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Oct 2008, 3:47 pm

I suspect that fear of 'failing' an AS evaluation is a reason that many do not seek one.

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 4:06 pm

NetNinja wrote:
Why would anyone who has AS not be willing to get a proper diagnosis which in turn would allow them to receive the care and supported needed.

1. Because there is no support available for adult aspies in my area. All services and support is focused on children, people with severe autism or their parents.
2. Because one session with a local professional costs 10% of my monthly wage and I'd likely need more than one session.
3. Because the only professional in my area who specializes in autism spectrum disorders specializes in children, so I'm not sure how useful it would be for me to see him.
4. I have a really bad experience with health services and 90% of the times I've seen a medical professional for something they haven't done a damn thing for me and they usually just patronize me and act like it's all in my head, without even examining me. Doctor's appointments are usually followed by a meltdown, feeling hopeless and my problems stay untreated.

So in my case, I'm not sure if it serves any point to seek proper diagnosis. It wouldn't give me access to any services. It would just cost me a lot of money and likely send me home with just another meltdown and even less faith in medical professionals.