How Many People Here Are actually Autistic or have Aspergers

Page 5 of 26 [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 26  Next

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 8:59 pm

I dunno what I have (no diagnosis yet). If I had to guess, I would say Inattentive ADD, and OCD for sure, with some anxiety, depression, and maybe even mild bi-polar. Also, I am guessing that I had HFA/AS when I was younger, but I have outgrown and overcome alot of it, so I doubt that I would get this diagnosis. Possibly NVLD, PDD-NOS, or something borderline would fit better today.

Last edited by SilverStar on 08 Dec 2008, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 9:01 pm

Me,
I am not autistic,
I am just a big pink fluffy bunny with long sharp vorple teeth.
8O
8)

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 9:01 pm

garyww wrote:
'different 'people are dangerous to the ideals of the 'normal' masses and have always been so.

I'm not sure... you have said the following things, each without any indication that you are making jokes. Were they supposed to not be taken seriously? Below are your quotes in their entirety as posted (no "just kidding" accompanying them):

garyww wrote:
I've only been here a few days and it already seems to me that a huge number of the people who post probably don't have Aspergers and certainly aren't autustic in the traditional sense of the word so is this just a social free-for-all or catch-all for everybody who thinks they are a little weird and strange.

garyww wrote:
The detection of Autism and especially people with certain characteristics of AS has been a big program with the government for years but I don't think they use 'detectors' yet but it sounds like a neat idea if you're so disposed.
How many spys do you suppose are here already?

garyww wrote:
Weirdo's are the best as far as I'm concerned. I've personally never cared for the stupid official classifications and have always thought we should have our own.

garyww wrote:
Don't ever disclose your real identity and never never give out your real name unless it's some strange cyber name/identity thingy you use to hide behind since you're embarassed by being a little strange.
They're out to get us for sure.

garyww wrote:
You are greatly mistaken if you don't think the government isn't interested in people with different perceptions. But then again I'm just paranoid.

I think that this site is a little more than a "catch-all for everybody who thinks they are a little weird and strange". Is that why you are here? I'm a little puzzled at the other strange remarks you are posting.

Well, have a good night!

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 9:02 pm

there's so many ways to be different. As AS goes, I've learned to fake a certain measure of 'NT-ness', but to a trained eye (A-DAR?...;) I'd probably be 'outed', if you want to look at it that way.

Still, I have a feeling that gay people probably get a bit ticked when everyone tries to shoehorn their own symptoms into a 'gay mode' (i.e, we're the same as they are. The set of Aspies intersects with Gay people, though it's not a perfect match....;)

I'm self-diagnosed. I couldn't afford the medications I need for other conditions, much less pay for an actual diagnoses (insurance now pays for 52 lifetime visits...so I have to save up my mental health days for when I get old and Alzheimic...;)

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 9:04 pm

garyww wrote:
One of the problems with getting a real diagnoses is first finding a doctor who actually knows very much and then actually paying him to do very little in my estimation. Fees range from $800 to $5000 depending on where you live and unfortunetly the results look like they were copied from some web site.

I go to talk to the doc next week and I WILL ask how much an assessment will cost me. If it's going to be that expensive ^^ I'm going to say "up yours!"

My wife already thinks I'm going to be committed when I go because I try to be funny sometimes and I want to sit down in his office and say "Back off, witch doctor, I don't want you to shrink my head!" And no, for the record, I can't make myself do that. That would take social skills, which I lack.

Gary, as others have stated, I believe you misjudged people by their posting ability since you obviously haven't met them in person to see just how bad their social skills are. I have tried all my life to hone those skills, and I made great strides for a few years, but over the past year I've gone back to square one and allowed my business to fail because of it.

Alisscious
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2008, 9:05 pm

*Sings* Whistle while you work... ephemerella he is having fun and seeing what happens. HA! It's exciting. That is my assumption though.

:)

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 9:08 pm

I've come to assume that I'm an Aspie, because it explains so much, and because so much of what people say on this forum resonates with me. I've gone through phases of life where I thought I was crazy, or that I operated on some kind of different plane than the people around me. I've always had a sense that, on the one hand, I'm missing something that everyone else seems to have been born with, but also that I have something they don't have.

However, I'm pretty sure that my mom is AS, as well (along with nearly everyone in the extended family, insomuch as I ever knew them, recluses they all were), so when I was growing up, if I expressed a concern about being different, she assured me that she was the same at my age. I did fine in school, because I'm good at tests, and I internalize all anxiety, and therefore caused no trouble. (All that changed in high school, but I had no adult supervision by then, so I slipped through the cracks.)

But when I look at the odd nature of my relationships and job experiences, as well as the general way I go about my life, there is AS written all over it.

Maybe I'll get evaluated someday, but for now I see no need. Sometimes I feel like a fraud here, because I don't flap my hands or shout, "Bring out your dead!" in the middle of a parent-teacher conference. Other times, not.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 9:08 pm

Everything should be taken seriously but it can also be funny at the same time. Life in general is a big cosmic joke. We're supposed to laugh about it all. If it wasn't funny then it wouldn't really have any purpose. We're supposed to be smiling when the end comes to us. If we're not then to bad since that means we didn't 'get it' when we were alive.
I think that serious stuff is pretty funny. It's just one of my characteristics so I'm sorry if I offened anybody.

DJRnold
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2008, 9:09 pm

I have Asperger's syndrome.

And I wonder why you failed to mention PDD-NOS. Apparantly, half of the people on the spectrum have PDD-NOS.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 9:12 pm

I think half of the peopole here are perfectly 'normal' if you excuse my use the term which I seldom use unless pressed. So far none of the posers have dared to respond to this thread which says something but I don't know what, yet.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 9:13 pm

garyww wrote:
You are greatly mistaken if you don't think the government isn't interested in people with different perceptions. But then again I'm just paranoid.

no, history shows that. See Eugenics

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 9:13 pm

Alisscious wrote:
...he is having fun and seeing what happens.

He could just be paranoid (probably from smoking too much pot--that will do that), or he might actually be THE GOVERNMENT. 8O

Gotta run--I hear some BLACK HELICOPTERS overhead. Oh wait--it's just the oven timer... :)

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 9:14 pm

Don't get me started about eugenics or you'll need a separate thread area.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 9:15 pm

Yeah I do still have that government stink but it's been a very long time since I worked for them.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 9:15 pm

garyww wrote:
I'm sorry if I offened anybody.
I was not offended. I really do think I may just be weird. I also somehow feel I have found my people. 8) I have always noticed there are some members here who think this site should be only for the diagnosed, but it is obviously not since things like 'family member with Aspergers' are profile choices.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 9:17 pm

An official diagnoses is a piece of paper and a lot of money. It's just paper.