Page 5 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2015, 10:11 pm

Seems a lot of people find it so much easier to say "I love chocolate cake", or "I love my cat", than say the word and a person's name in the same sentence. Why is that, I wonder? I know a lot of men still seem to believe they shouldn't show affection towards their own wives or children.

I have no problem writing "love" on cards to my parents but when its my older brother it just feels weird, even though I do love him, and he thinks buying cards is a waste of time and money and doesn't seem to even like getting them very much. My dad, on the other hand, is very good at selecting cards for my mom, and they're usually all full of sweet, romantic mush. :)

I usually just write "from", or "your sister" on cards other than my parents or grandparents.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2015, 11:07 pm

Another one from 2008.

Yeah, I think when the object of 'love' is not a human being, people easily say they love [whatever] although I notice that some men avoid using the word 'love' even in that context, presumably because that's not very manly.

I come from a culture where the word that has the closest meaning to 'love' is pretty much only used in a romantic context. Even in a romantic context it sounds corny and mawkish and people don't usually say or write it. It sounds very embarrassing. We don't even hug family members. I guess in our culture expressing emotions is considered rather embarrassing.

Any way, for that reason I find the word 'love' very uncomfortable to use, particularly towards people. When talking about food etc, I do use it as an exaggerated form of 'like'.

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2015, 5:23 pm

BastetsEye wrote:
Yes. It feels false to write it, yet rude not to.

I'd much rather instead of putting :love, Me.
I could put :care, Me.

Unfortunately I imagine not many people would get it. I would then be asked about it, which would involve an awkward conversation that I really don't want to have.

I don't even like saying it. If I feel it yes, that's fine. But when someone says it and I feel obligated to repeat the sentiment. Or sometime I say it because I'm feeling a little bit guilty. (it's sort of my way of saying sorry.). I don't say it to my father hardly at all, as I don't love him, I care for him, but that's it. When I say it to him, It's because it would come out wrong to say "I care for you" or "I have affection for you".

Same thing here. I'm afraid I would hurt someone's feelings by not writing "I love you" on a card, but when I do it doesn't feel genuine. I don't understand love at all. How can I express something that I'm not even sure I feel? But with family, it's expected of you.

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 2:51 am

Nope! No problem writing, or saying (or signing in ASL), it at all if it's someone I love - friends, family, God kids etc.

Sometimes I refrain from saying it to some friends because I don't want them feeling overwhelmed or as if I have a crush on them or something, but I think it/feel it & say it "towards" them in a bit of a ritual blessing on a regular basis. Other times I feel like if I write "Love Richard" that it might be a little too strong, so I'll change it up to "With love, Richard" or something like that.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 7:04 pm

Why is it so much easier for people to say things like "I love cake" or "I love this music" than they do for another human being? Since I sincerely do love my parents and grandparents I have no problems writing love on a card, but my brother... well, that's tricky since even though I do love him that would just make us both feel weird. He hates choosing cards and doesn't really like even getting them, either. I heard guys aren't supposed to but my dad always seems to find the right cards for my mom.

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 11:40 pm

I have no problem writing "love" on cards to people I actually love. So a few people in my family and both my friends get cards signed with love. I definitely want those people to know I care about them. I will also write it to people I know I'm supposed to love, like basically any other family member, though I only do this because I grew up being taught and expected to do it. Weird how you're supposed to love people you never/rarely see or don't get along with just because they're related to you! To everyone else, I just write "from" or "take care" or "all the best" or whatever else seems fitting for the context.

I'm the same with saying love; no problem to people I actually love.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 11:47 pm

I'm ok with writing it - just not saying it.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 3:09 pm

this is how I address the to/from situation:

hi name-

blah blah blah blah blah.

-my name

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 7:49 pm

Thankfully, I'm spared the indignity of writing "love" on a card because I have no one to give a card to anyway. I hate the phoniness of cards. I'd rather shoot holes in my feet than spend good money on some unnecessary card.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

02 Oct 2015, 11:42 pm

Yes it's difficult & frustrating for me. I also don't like saying Love to anyone but my girlfriend.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition