What things/lies did you use to believe due to AS?

Page 5 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

06 Feb 2009, 5:08 am

I used to think anyone who is nice to you means they like you.

I thought it was okay to hit when someone does something you don't like and it was okay to hit if they don't listen to you and I thought it was okay to slap their mouths if they said something you don't like. Why? My mother spanked me for those reasons so I thought it was okay to spank people so I did it to my friends and brothers but not in school because spanking wasn't allowed there.

I actually thought "stupid" "dumb" idiot" "shut up" were bad words because my mother told me. I learned lot of kids forget they were told that about those words but me I took it so literal I remembered and it backfired when I was eight. I wouldn't believe "f**k" was a bad word because my mother had told me the other words were bad when they were not. I found out at age eight they were not bad words so I assumed "f**k" wasn't bad either. I had to get my mouth slapped to know it was a bad word. So I continued saying other words in school except "f**k" but wouldn't say them at home because my mother didn't allow them.

I thought I was being discriminated in school because I didn't know where the lines were drawn and I didn't know what the rules were because kids didn't follow them so it confused me. They just knew when to break them and when to follow them and I didn't so I was always caught so it seemed like I was being discriminated but I wasn't.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2009, 6:56 am

Padium wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
notbrianna wrote:
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that not everybody thinks in English.

HUH? What do you mean about THAT?

I CAN think in other languages and, of course, English. I only think in english, or in any other language when I have to communicate in it, sometimes if I have to understand what others say, and sometimes with things like math. Going around, shopping, buying stuff, etc... can be done with no language or even thought.

How does one not think... I think my head would implode if I were to have a completely blank mind..

Well, OBVIOUSLY, I think about it, I just mean it isn't like I think about each step. It is almost like I just plan everything, and there isn't any kind of real concious mental effort to think about the task. It is like typing here where you think about the word, or even the sentence, and type and correct without even thinking about the spelling. Somehow, however, the words usually end up correct.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2009, 7:17 am

English? Doesn't everyone just reach conclusions and then talk from those?

No, what I believed was what my mum told me when I was but three or four years old. God had given me a special brain, and God had a special plan to make use of it.

An amazingly adaptable argument, especially when its verbal foundation has been forgotten, but ultimately a fallible one. In the wake of twenty years of occult research, ten years of personal development training, and then some years of higher education it finally dissolved away, along with G#d.

Then, in its place, an Aspergers diagnosis sprouted and grew. Whatever next???

complicitytheory
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Feb 2009, 7:50 am

peterd wrote:
God had a special plan to make use of it... Then, in its place, an Aspergers diagnosis sprouted and grew. Whatever next???

That was very interesting. I read the whole thing completely missing the religiosity. I still take things TOOOO literally. I'd have thought "sure god gave me the brain. now what?" I'd never have bothered with wondering who, he, she, it was. I'm seriously curious about religion (wrote a thesis on Christ's uncle), but for me, believing in one's own belief structures is about as useful as assuming an external validity of logical constructs. Sorry, I had a point... just dropped it. Oh! The notion that I'm noticing that we respond in different ways (most I've noticed in this thread) to the likes our parents told us... and usually very creative ones. Yours was very (from my reading) literal in terms of the diety's existence. I was lucky, since my diagnosis was that I was nice and rather stupid... so I just stayed nice and wondered why if I was stupid, and they weren't, what the disjuncture was... and became obsessed with the social nature of learning. :) Not, in the end much different from your path.

Vid
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Feb 2009, 8:04 am

Greentea wrote:
I used to believe that when someone said something, it was always their true belief/opinion/feeling/thought except in very rare occasions.

Oh, wow, that one!

You know, I could make a list like some of the others here, but this is the one thing that has caused the most damage (by far).

Sometimes, people don't say things because they believe those things, but because of what I will do if I believe those things.

I was completely unaware of how intentionally conniving some people can be.

I thought that a vast majority of people would not do such a thing. And I believed that I'd be able to spot those who would.

I was wrong. Very wrong, indeed.

Ingevar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Feb 2009, 8:56 am

"You must enter a message when posting."

Last edited by Ingevar on 08 Feb 2009, 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2009, 9:39 am

Wow, that was lovely! It has a beautiful cadence and rythm, apart from the message itself. Are you a poet?

Ingevar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Feb 2009, 9:49 am

Last edited by Ingevar on 08 Feb 2009, 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2009, 10:00 am

Wow, loved it. And this said by someone who extremely rarely likes a poem. Yours remind me of Rudyard Kipling's "If". Was he an influence in your writing?

Ingevar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Feb 2009, 10:16 am

Last edited by Ingevar on 08 Feb 2009, 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2009, 10:20 am

:lmao: Brilliant! And the end is the best.

I'll check out A. Marvell.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2009, 3:04 pm

redears wrote:
My first grade teacher pointed to a map of Minnesota and the "two dots" where Minneapolis/St. Paul and said that "most people live in those two dots" so until I was 13 years old and got online, I really thought that almost everyone in the world lived in Minneapolis and St. Paul.

My dad told me as a kid that you didn't know if you were a boy or a girl unti you were 12. My whole family played along and even said that my sister was a boy until she turned 12 and turned into a girl (her name is Danielle, she said it used to Daniel), and that I would become a boy at any time.

I used to lucidly dream there was a fragel hole (to get to Fragel Rock) in my basement, I fully believed this until we moved out of that house when I was 11.

YIKES! What did they say determined it? TEMPERATURE!?!? :lol: 8O :roll: Some people shouldn't be allowed to deal with kids. So how did you find out they were LYING!?!?!? I get the feeling that most girls probably WAIT for the secondary sex characteristics to appear much like many kids wait for Christmas. HECK, many boys wait likewise. It is basically a way of nature saying you have reached another stage. I have to say I WAS kind of happy to have to start shaving, and have my voice crack, etc.... To tell you that THAT determined your sex, as opposed to your sex determining it, is certainly cruel at best. I can only wonder what you imagined.

AS for the lucid dreams, they CAN appear pretty real. I guess I could understand that, even if fragel rock seems a crazy idea. Then again, I DID have a dream about me working with some to DEFEND Bill Gates. That is especially interesting, since I would have been more likely to try to convict him.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 5:36 am

Ah, I have a more...environment induced one:

Catholic school + literal interpretation = fun times

Now, once a week at my old primary school, we all had to attend church and receive communion, barring of course me, as I was never baptized (my mother drew the eyes of the priest on many an occasion)--really, I should have known something was amiss with the world when I was excluded from drinking wine due to not having some water poured over my head as an infant, but that's beside the point. Now again, I saw that my peers, my teachers, and the priests, were in fact consuming the blood and flesh of Jesus as they sipped wine and dined on funny looking bread, and that Jesus was actually made of wine and bread, and he must have been a very big person, as the bread and wine was seemingly endless.... Yep, I saw everyone as cannibals and vampires, and I thanked...my mother for not having that water poured over my head as an infant.

I was also certain that Jesus was a Jedi Knight, or perhaps even a Master, as his feats were similar to Yoda and Luke Skywalker.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 10:31 am

I believe people can read my mind. Sounds stupid but it's a part of my brain. I first realized when I was 14 that my thoughts were not being read by everybody around me. That was somewhat liberating. Then I realized a few weeks ago that I still think many of my thoughts can be read by people. I think I'll always think that, although I know it makes no sense.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 10:53 am

MsTriste wrote:
I believe people can read my mind. Sounds stupid but it's a part of my brain. I first realized when I was 14 that my thoughts were not being read by everybody around me. That was somewhat liberating. Then I realized a few weeks ago that I still think many of my thoughts can be read by people. I think I'll always think that, although I know it makes no sense.

Heck, you are not alone there, and with the dawn of a technology that is actually capable of doing just that... There is a technology capable of, when placed on or in the head/brain, depending on the varient, is capable of reading thought patterns, and is also capable of interfacing with the brain for other purposes as well. The technology is an amazing thing, but it is also something that could be very dangerous. If you read the thread on brainball, that game uses one form of this technology, and a much older and expensive form of it at that. We can use it to allow blind people to see, and research is being done to find a way to allow parralytics to move their limbs again as well... Problem is it is very expensive and highly experimental right now.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2009, 11:08 am

that we all always stuck out as "weird".
I don't.