My bedroom walls have no posters - aspie thing or just me?

Page 5 of 9 [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 4:59 pm

When I was a child, the walls of my bedroom and its door were adorned with posters with characters from famous fairy tales (or maybe only “adorned”, to be honest they were butt ugly).

Later, between the age range of 12 – 19 I used to have calendars and posters in every nook of my room available - such abundance of them was dictated by necessity; we had been flooded by our neighbors and as for a long time we couldn’t afford to renovate our flat, I was forced to cover those terrible spots with something. Over my bed I had a straw mat with my plush toys, postcards and drawings made by me attached to it.

And that’s what I keep on the walls now: two paintings presenting landscapes, a pencil self-portrait made by me in 1999, a photo of my mom and me as a baby and a small picture of a tree growing on a mountain slope (made of small crushed pieces of amber). And I have two Star Wars posters on the door.

SpongeBobRocksMao, I saw your collection in my thread about collections recently. :)

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

12 Jul 2009, 5:30 pm

I'm not sure if it's an aspie thing or not, but I've never had posters on my wall. The only things hanging on it now is a shelf for extra storage space (I seem to accumulate junk) and a few photos of my pets. I'm also paranoid about bugs hiding behind things which is why I haven't hung up anything else.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 5:40 pm

Meh, as i said on page 1, no posters, but mostly framed stuff.

Intempestivai
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jul 2009, 7:00 pm

I have a poster of the periodic table that I just put up, and a world map for school, but those are under my bed (loft) where I do my homework, and I don't really see them. On the front of my door I have a whiteboard, and on the back I have a 4 by 5 card that makes me happy. Standing in most places in my room, one can't see any of it. Before I put that stuff up, (January) my walls were always bare, even when I was little. Two are white and two are very dark blue.

The Road goes ever on and on down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone and I must follow it, if I can, pursuing it with eager feet, until it joins some larger way where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 7:24 pm

I've always had some kind of posters or paintings on my walls. As a tween I loved horror images, skulls, slime and the like and put up some posters with Alice Cooper and Beetleljuice (sp?), as well as glued tons of "Garbage pail kids" stickers to my closet. They're still there!

Currently I have some copper plate engravings of sail ships, some paintings of old ships, a painting of Concorde, some planetary posters and a couple of images of turtles, maritime themes and boats.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 9:17 pm

No posters here. Can't stand wallpaper either.

I have a small engraving and a mask in my living room.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 2:35 am

This is where I gotta disagree; I can't stand bare walls...gotta have something on 'em.

I have some posters up, as well as a ton of carded action figures.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 7:36 am

I never thought about it, but frankly, I prefer bare walls.

TheSpecialKid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jul 2009, 5:53 pm

Xay wrote:
I have nothing on my walls. I've taped up a few things when I was a kid, and I've got a full-sized promotional poster for Back to the Future that I would love to frame and hang up somewhere, but it would look silly being the only thing on my walls.

No!... It would be cool, it would be AWESOME!
In a squared room, at the middle of an end-wall. Then you would really notice it.

A least, that's what I think...

Last edited by TheSpecialKid on 15 Jul 2009, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 2:33 am

On my wall I have:

A clock whose batteries have run empty. (And whose batteries were empty when I hung it on the wall, so it's never actually worked)
A long, thin mirror.
A painting.
A sort-of Mayan-looking shield with white paint splatters all over it. It's in the corner where I have my Shrine of Sentimental Things.
A poster of Homer Simpson, with the wise quote: "If something's hard to do, it's not worth doing." (This one is actually on my door)

And I would have a collection of number plates from various places where I lived in my childhood, but the tie-ribs connecting them are broken and I haven't replaced them yet.

This actually covers all of my wall space, as I have a slanting roof on one side, a bunk bed on another, and closet on another side. This leaves one wall and the corner with the Shrine of Sentimental Things.

I would have pictures of my childhood friends, but I haven't drilled any holes in the walls so they reside on my desk at the moment.

I like hanging things on walls, as long as they're not very vibrant and with words, like posters. Just silent decoration.

Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 4:02 am

Back when I had my orange room (my sister's bright idea to paint it orange when it was still hers) I had lots of stuff tacked to my wall.
Random CDs, stickers I'd got at shows/events, 3 big posters (one was my sisters, she'd left it there), 2 small posters, random little drawings, post cards etc.

But it was completely driving me crazy and last Winter I decided I could not handle it anymore... so I painted my room a light grey, white and made one wall BRIGHT pink, kind of magenta (as I love that colour a tad too much). And now I don't have anything on my walls except for a small embroidery hoop.
And my sister's poster is still on the door, but there's clothes hanging in front of it.

I like it that way. Though my sister keeps saying I should hang some stuff up as it's too bland and impersonal.
I think if I'd ever embroider a panel of some sorts, I'd probably hang it up... but that's not happening any time soon.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

15 Jul 2009, 4:40 am

This would be true about me up until a few months ago. I don't have any posters but I have some pictures and a flag that I put up after about a year or two of sitting in a box since we moved in. It doesn't really do anything for me regardless.

HowlingMad1992
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jul 2009, 7:36 am

SoulcakeDuck wrote:
aspie thing, my walls are empty as well. You got enough going on inside of you.

I doubt that, its just a matter of choice.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 7:38 am

DeathByChocolate wrote:
My bedroom walls have no posters. No stickers, no drawings, no paintings, no dangling items; nothing but plain off-white walls. They've been the same colour ever since I moved in. All my friends seem to have loads of posters and other random things plastered all over their bedroom walls (both guys and girls, though girls probably slightly more). Personally I can't think of a single thing I would want as a poster on the walls, so I just keep them clear.

Is this a common trait for aspies, or is it just me? What do you have on your bedroom walls?

Just you.

ruveyn

Rain_Bird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jul 2009, 7:43 am

I have posters and other random things covering my walls. Some of the posters are covering places where the paint is peeling though...

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 5:59 pm

I have never been given (at least not since childhood) to having posters on my walls. Maybe I don't like putting holes in them. Heck, I don't even have body piercings, or tattoos for that matter. I think I just like things clean, and unadulterated and simple.