100 Ways to Annoy Somebody With Asperger's Syndrome

Page 44 of 45 [ 711 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 8:39 am

- Call their name from another room and instantly say the message while they are yelling "What?" and cannot hear you.
- Take them to a shop "just for a few minutes" and spend 1,5h there. Ignoring their messages about having a headache from sensory overload due to the loud environment.
- Ask them random questions such as "What do you want for dinner?" when they are in shutdown state after the sensory overload.
- Ignore your the phone ringing while discussing with them about how to help them avoid sensory overload.
- Say "Stop that. You are clearly manipulating me but I won't give up so it's pointless!" when they are having sensory overload and stim badly to stay sane.
- Say "In 2 hours." when they ask you "Can we go home?" due to sensory overload. When they answer "Not in 2 hours, sooner." say "In 3 hours in that case.".

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 9:09 am

- Hide behind a position of authority to act in a hostile manner toward Aspies.

- Act in a hostile manner toward Aspies, and then blame them for causing the hostility.

- Fail to explain why you're acting hostile toward Aspies, and even deny that your actions are hostile.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 12:28 pm

Just remind us yet again that
1. Aspergers does not exist
2. Aspergers never existed
3. It does not exist anymore/DSM 5 (I imagine unless you are first learning about ASD's, 2 years after the change a vast majority of us have heard about the DSM 5 elimination of the Aspergers Disorder diagnosis)
4. Insist how we identify is wrong or just identifying at all is wrong

Invalidation thread - Wrong Planet

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 12:52 pm

ImAnAspie wrote:
When an Aspie (me) offers a solution to a problem and everyone else says my idea is no good and later on, someone else comes up with the same idea and everyone agrees it's a good solution.

Oh, MAN----if I just had a nickel, for every time this happened----UNbeLIEVable!!

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 12:59 pm

LyraLuthTinu wrote:
Sequoia wrote:
I think this would annoy anyone who had to deal with this crap, Aspie or otherwise. I have a family member who will absolutely freak out if you don't answer the phone when she calls. She will keep calling me back to back until I pick up the phone, and then if I still don't pick up she will go over to my house to check on me. I have told her multiple times that I hate being called back to back, and that she should leave a voicemail like anybody else, but she keeps telling me that when I don't answer she wonders if I'm in the floor dead or unconscious or something. And they say we're socially awkward.

Sounds like histrionic disorder to me (your relative, not you)! My sis is like that, but only with my mom.

Yeah, some people just absolutely THRIVE, from drama!

She could, however, be a control freak! I mean, what if Sequoia was in with a doctor, or something, like that? No one would want to answer the phone during that time. Can you not set your phone, to vibrate? That's what I do!! I just can't have phones, actually RINGING (I used to have one that, when it rang, I'd have a seizure).

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 2:33 am

Kiriae wrote:
- Call their name from another room and instantly say the message while they are yelling "What?" and cannot hear you.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Just remind us yet again that
1. Aspergers does not exist
2. Aspergers never existed
3. It does not exist anymore/DSM 5 (I imagine unless you are first learning about ASD's, 2 years after the change a vast majority of us have heard about the DSM 5 elimination of the Aspergers Disorder diagnosis)
4. Insist how we identify is wrong or just identifying at all is wrong

Yeah, all of those things are annoying.

Also:

Make sure to talk when they're trying to listen to something. That always make the sounds cancel each other out for me at least.

Play video games on the TV all day, and when the aspie has told you repeatedly that they wanna watch something at a particular time, and keep reminding you, still make sure to cut it as close to the time it is aired as humanly possible.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Girl_Kitten
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jun 2015, 4:31 am

Insist that just because they don't have a diagnosis from a doctor, they're not Autistic.

"You can go back to your not-NT-but-not-Autistic life now with the comfort that there's still a lot wrong with you, but at least you're not one of those non-verbal kids who sits in the corner flapping their hands!"

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 4:35 am

Interrupting me when I'm already busy with some activity is really my main annoyance. Rare life-threatening emergencies are one thing but if it gets to the point where the dumb-ass is careless enough to always be getting himself into trouble & interrupting me so that I have to save his ass & baby-sit him all day then that kind of annoyance is deserving of an ass-whopping !

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 7:16 am

1. Assume that you know all about autism and can tell me how things are for me, what I can 'get over,' what I 'just need to tolerate,' what I 'don't need to do,' and what 'isn't important/isn't a big deal.'

2. Dismiss my solutions to problems and offer alternatives that aren't as good or as comfortable but that are less obvious or appear more normal.

3. Be supportive, but then get embarrassed when I do something/want to do something/want not to do something that is outside the behavior of a 'normal' person my age and gender. Say you understand that I'm different when I talk to you, but then expect me to act like everyone else.

One that's not specific to autism but that bothers me about people: say that you are open-minded and that people should be free to express themselves in unique ways but then criticize, ostracize and ridicule anyone you see who does so.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 7:23 am

Tell the person "This is a very low priority project. It is complicated, and it has to be done by tomorrow." Then tell them "Here is another project. It is a high priority project. All other projects take a back seat to this. It has to be done in two months. I want you to get started on it immediately."

Where is the emoticon with the exploding head?

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 7:42 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
ImAnAspie wrote:
When an Aspie (me) offers a solution to a problem and everyone else says my idea is no good and later on, someone else comes up with the same idea and everyone agrees it's a good solution.

Oh, MAN----if I just had a nickel, for every time this happened----UNbeLIEVable!!

8O
Been there too. My theory is the initial idea is so out of the box that they cannot wrap their brain around it. Then it works its way unconsciously into someone's head. That person makes the same suggestion thinking "Hey, I just figured this thing out. I now understand it, therefore, it must my bright idea." Everyone else says "That's great!", because it sounds familiar.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 8:11 am

^ TBH I think it's about who comes up with the suggestion, where in the pecking order they are.

Has happened to me too.
I also know the perfect way to make everyone unenthusiastic about someone's idea. All it takes is me being fired up about it. That will make even the person who suggested it lose interest or at least enthusiasm.
Of course, I found that out the hard way.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 7:47 pm

Write me up over an obscure subrule of the company dresscode (as if Autists were known for our fashion sense) all the while ignoring Allists who commit blatant violations of basic workplace ethics like not using the company computers for personal business on company time--even submitting job applications 8O (I thought Autists were the ones who have trouble comprehending boundaries).

I may have mentioned this before but dumping on the Autists for not intuiting the social structure and hierarchy of the company. I try, honest I do, but I guess wrong every time when I try to figure out who's in charge of what unless they have obvious titles (like the C.F.O. is in charge of finances--corporate FINANCE officer, see the clue?).

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 7:55 pm

Have a forum where there's a link at the bottom of individual thread pages allowing you to jump to next page, but not one on the "thread listing" pages, requiring users to scroll back to the top in order to be able to jump to next page. (Hopefully that makes sense...)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 8:16 pm

Brictoria wrote:
Have a forum where there's a link at the bottom of individual thread pages allowing you to jump to next page, but not one on the "thread listing" pages, requiring users to scroll back to the top in order to be able to jump to next page. (Hopefully that makes sense...)

:wink:

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Joehotto101
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Sep 2015, 8:52 am

Tell them to deal with real world problems, such as a broken down car, like a man instead of a baby/coward.