List one NT thing you do not understand.

Page 47 of 65 [ 1025 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 65  Next

duck
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2010, 5:51 am

the ability to convince yourself to forget to worry about something because you can't do anything about it... ?! seriously, that just makes me more worried. and i'm too stubborn to abandon the source of anxiety even if it stresses me out way too much, just because i can't do anything about it. not thinking about it doesn't make it go away!

duck
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2010, 6:01 am

JDM wrote:

How important sex is to most people's lives. When I reached the age when all the other boys were trying to get dates and impress girls, I was baffled. I had the same biological urges as the others, and I thought girls were attractive often felt good being around them, but I didn't see why the guys I knew thought it was worth going to such lengths to get their attention or spend time with them. I still don't. (I had a lot of female friends in school as a result, which was nice- I suppose they enjoyed being able to relax and hang out with a guy who genuinely had no desire to get into their pants.) The things so many people do for sex- sacrifice time, sacrifice money, violate their own moral beliefs, risk disease or disgrace or unwanted pregnancy- are incomprehensible to me.

also, THIS! so much. but i'm a girl so maybe it's a little more natural for me to feel this way, haha.

another thing is romantic relationships in general. i can't understand the significance.

FarqyTheIndolent
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 7:05 am

No doubt somebody's already mentioned this, but why in God's name is it considered rude to leave one's jacket on upon entering a restaurant, a theatre, somebody's house, or somewhere of that nature?

I mean, 'It makes you look as though you're planning to leave shortly'? That's the best they can come up with? :?
Surely if you've gone to the bother of booking the tickets, calling round at your friend's house or asking the waiter to direct you to the table in the first place, it can be taken as an indication that, jacket-clad or otherwise, your intention is to stay.

duck
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2010, 7:10 am

^wait... is that really so? i wear my coat around work, at friends' houses... is that strange? never thought about it.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 9:41 am

^ same....seriously?
maybe seeing the person with a jacket makes them feel warm and uncomfortable through....empathy as they call it?

FarqyTheIndolent
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 1:14 pm

Yep, I'm being serious.
I was always told by family, friends and teachers that it's considered to be a sign of poor manners.

Don't ask me why. :?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2010, 12:00 pm

It's so embarrassing when my 18 and 19 year old cousins and all their mates would rather hang out with my 12 year old cousin than me, simply because he's loud and I'm not. Really pisses me off - having AS really makes me left out, even in my own family.

tlaquepaque
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Nov 2010, 7:14 pm

Spazzergasm wrote:
It can be anything, illogical or logical. Just post ONE NT habit, preoccupation, belief, or behaviour you don't understand.

For me, why do women like so many purses of so many colours and sizes?!?! I have a little black purse. It's got shoelaces for handles because the old ones ripped off. I use it every day. I like it because it's just bigger than a large pocket. Why do some people feel the need to carry around a stiff brightly coloured bag the size of a sheep? :lol:

I'm determined to read this whole thread but for right now I'm just commenting on your comment of the purses. This is funny to me because I LOVE purses! I'm very highly NT and purses are a hobby to me. Collecting them and using them and having the right purse for the right situation give me pleasure. I have big bags and small bags, plain and fancy. I have two kids so a big bag is a necessity but if I've going out just myself I take a small bag. Purses are more than something to hold my stuff. They are a fashion accessory. My husband (likely AS) does not understand the purse obsession but he goes along with it because he knows I like them. He says he has plenty of things that he likes and collects that I probably don't understand (and I don't) so buying me purses is no big deal.

marcvs9955
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Nov 2010, 11:44 pm

Flirting. I just don't see the point. I like girls just as much as the next guy, but flirting is just ridiculous. I'd rather have good solid friends of the female gender (which I do, honestly I like them better than my male friends overall. :P) rather then play with their emotions and risk hurting them or myself emotionally, which I shall segue into my next annoyance: Emotionalism amongst NTs is a nut-driver, I have normal human emotions too but emotionalism is bad for the soul. Just because you FEEL something doesn't mean it reflects objective reality, you'd best keep emotion to a healthy minumim so you can understand the truth without having the emotionalistic interference of "feel"ing whatever.

torako
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2010, 12:12 am

monogamy! i don't understand why NTs think that if you love multiple people you love them "less". it's just not true!

also, morals. like, it's okay to kill people if you imaginary friend named "god" or "jesus" tells you to, but not if your friend is named "bob". and it's not okay for some random person to pay someone else to kill a third person, but if the government pays them to kill people, then they're a hero!

edit: thought of another one. why is it that NTs get mad if you don't understand their body language, but asking them to just tell you is out of the question? in addition to that, why don't they say what they MEAN? my mom once told me to come over "any time" but then got mad at me for not coming over at the specific time she wanted, even though she didn't actually tell me what that was! she claimed i should have known dinner was at 6, but i had no way of knowing that, and so she just ate dinner without me and then called me to yell at me and then insisted i come over anyway... it's like, oh i'm sorry i was at a coffee shop trying to get something done! i also don't understand their sleep schedules. why do they insist i be awake during the day? being awake at night is much better, because it's dark and quiet. i don't make THEM conform to MY internal clock!

and another thing, my mom is always telling me to get off the computer. but i don't get what she expects me to do! television is usually boring, i can't always go to the library, i've read a good majority of the books (at her house anyway) that i care about, and any book (in her house anyway) that i might care about would probably require me getting back on the computer since i haven't read all of her programming books yet. so what am i supposed to do, just sit there? why can't i do interesting things? she seems to think that reading stuff online is bad, but reading books is good. but like i said, reading books isn't always an option.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 4:28 pm

Why do they stare at other people who they pass in the street?

And why do they look at and laugh at somebody who slips over on a snowy, icy day in the street?

EmaN
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2010, 10:42 am

Most of the aspects of what neurotypicals call love (non-sexual of course).
I just don't get it.

Zur-Darkstar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2010, 12:15 pm

I don't understand people's odd fascination with certain kinds of objects but not others. For example, a diamond is just a rock dug out of the ground by some poor schmoe in Africa making less money than your average fry cook, then overvalued and overpriced by an international cartel. It looks no different to me than a glass crystal or any other clear stone, yet women seem to be utterly hung up on these, and people will pay ridiculous sums of money for them. Quartz is a pretty rock, but it's worth nothing. I don't get it.

There are flowers too. When I was young, it confused me mightily that dandelions were considered an undesirable thing. They were very pretty yellow and then morphed into those white fluff things, but people still hated them on their lawn. Furthermore, people spent money for flowers like marigolds and mums that look very similar to me. Who decided what's a flower and what's a weed. This simply does not compute for me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 11:20 am

I don't get why people complain about the cold weather but the cold doesn't stop them from standing out in it smoking a cigerette every half hour or so. Also, when people are unemployed, they start saying about they have no money for food, but the next minute they're pulling a cigerette from their pocket. Ohh, that annoys me - as if cigerettes are more important than food! :roll:

This applies to all smokers, NT or NL.

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 11:31 am

Ceremonies like weddings, birthdays, engagements, graduations, anniversaries, etc.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 11:34 am

FarqyTheIndolent wrote:
No doubt somebody's already mentioned this, but why in God's name is it considered rude to leave one's jacket on upon entering a restaurant, a theatre, somebody's house, or somewhere of that nature?

I mean, 'It makes you look as though you're planning to leave shortly'? That's the best they can come up with? :?
Surely if you've gone to the bother of booking the tickets, calling round at your friend's house or asking the waiter to direct you to the table in the first place, it can be taken as an indication that, jacket-clad or otherwise, your intention is to stay.

This.

My mum sounded surprised when I told her recently that I wear my jacket all day at college... What's wrong with that? Especially in winter when it's freezing cold.

I've also had my mum have a go at me for wearing or doing various things in restaurants. In fact, I could fill this entire thread with various things I've supposedly done "wrong" in restaurants.