Page 6 of 7 [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2009, 7:30 pm

NOBS wrote:
mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
Kellatrix815 wrote:
Anyone with ASD, anyone that has any sense, imo would never dream of "romanticizing" the disorder. .

Some do but I think they are just doing it to make themselves feel better.

I'll plead guilty to that sin, although I think "romanticizing" might be a little strong of a word. I realy do believe AS can be as much of a blessing as a curse. If I can see myself as an Einstein or Newton, and use that hope to make me do better, what's the harm. I don't see it as any different than a black kid on the south side of Chicago seeing him self as growing up to be like Barrak Obama, and using that hope to motivate him to do well in school, instead of not being able to see any future for himself beyond drug dealer, or gang member. Hope is a very important motivator.

I can understand that. Which part of ASD would you prefer to focus on

- the highly logical, hyper-systemizing mind

or

- the social fuckups, visual or hearing problems or other sensory s**t, or being so withdrawn you fail to take in anything from the world around you?

A no-brainer really. I wouldn't think someone was stupid for wanting to think of their ASD as having some positive aspects.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2009, 7:53 pm

Romanticizing, and thinking positively are two different things. I refuse to see my children as a big ball of ASD deficits, but I don't view them as geniuses, or savants, either. They're just kids that happen to be autistic, with strengths, and weaknesses that may be unlike most, but they're still individuals first, and foremost.

I cringe a little when I see threads like this. They come up every 3 months or so. I'm an established member, and I feel a little unwelcome when I read through this whole thing, but if I were just an undxed lurker that was considering joining, I'd feel very unwelcome. I'd hate to see someone who is in desperate need of support, and understanding be scared off, because they thought that their kind wasn't allowed here. Sometimes, I think people forget that our words, both kind, and unkind can really make a difference to someone that's really feeling down, and vulnerable.

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2009, 8:28 pm

aspieconfirmed wrote:
Im not trying to be mean, I just really want to know what qualifies you to make this "diagnosis" and what tools or tests you used to classify yourself against the DSM. I feel that people who label themselves aspergers or autistic without finding out if they truly are minimize the true diagnosis and make a mockery of a true condition. The "self diagnosed" are romaticizing this disorder in my opinion and until you get a diagnosis shold not claim you have this just to explain why you are socially awkward and self absorbed.

I also find it hard to believe that adults cannot teach themselves social skills using the internet yet they can self diagnose a psychological disorder using it.

I think the "self diagnosed" are full of it and do not deserve to scream they have a disorder to get special treatment when in fact you have not been identified by anyone except yoursel.

Okay a few things...

1. I self diagnosed first, like a lot of people here, then later got a professional diagnosis.

2. I never have and never will ask for special treatment. Even the people I tell about AS/PDD-NOS don't give me special treatment by my request.

3. How do you expect people to find out whether or not they have any disorder at all, if they don't first go through a process of self- diagnosis. Everyone goes through some sort of self diagnosis before they seek a professional. You don't say, "Oh I feel fine, I don't think anything is wrong with me at all...I think I'll go see a psychologist."

4. If people did what you want and didn't even try to self diagnose, then several people who don't have the money for a Pschycologist, would never get the explanation or relief or help they deserve.

Last edited by dustintorch on 23 Aug 2009, 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

ancashion
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2009, 8:43 pm

NOBS wrote:
ancashion wrote:
aspieconfirmed wrote:
I am annoyed by the undiagnosed because it takes away from my child who is diagnosed, you poeple are turning autism into ADHD, simply your excuse for bad behvior socially.

Ahh.. the root of the problem. Surprised nobody else picked up on this... You feel like you've genetically failed your child and now, you're being over protective. Protective of a mental standpoint, nonetheless. It's in my nature to not have empathy for you and your short comings not only as a parent but as a human being, but I'm making an effort of trying to change myself to a more "normal" person I'll attempt it on your behalf. Feed the troll, so to speak...

Your child is diagnosed. Are you upset your child isn't as special as you thought? What are you finding is being taken from your child by anyone who self diagnosed? Do you think your child has a problem with it? Explain why it matters to you that I personally diagnosed myself as possibly having Asperger's? Considering you're so protective of your child, explain why your child should be upset that I'm self diagnosed. I'm not shaping the minds of Doctors or Psychologists and warping your childs diagnosis, nor is anyone else here. So explain the hostility. Use FACT in your reply, not your opinion. Keep your personal feelings out of it and explain to us all why, first of all, you're so high and mighty and second, why it matters to anyone that they self diagnose. This is probably your last chance to be taken seriously on this forum. I would assume you've got some mind blowing revelations to back up your problem? For if you can't do that, please feel free to check your attitude when you log on and use the forum to actually HELP your CHILD! Your child should be your number one concern, not me or anyone else who's "self diagnosed."

You're not only failing your child, but yourself. Closed mindedness is what kept people like myself from being diagnosed in the first place. You're delusional if you honestly think your opinion is going to dissuade anyone from diagnosing themselves. Your opinion means nothing to anyone. You're nobody. Make no mistake though, you being nobody is not an opinion of mine, but fact.

I have no interest in being diagnosed. Personally I'm afraid of being condemned to a think tank. One of a long list of my irrational fears and thoughts. I know you don't care about why I think I have AS. I won't attempt to explain it. I could care less what you think of me.

With all this being said, maybe you should take some time to self reflect. Maybe you should consider that it's a big world, lots of people, lots of different mindsets. If we find comfort in associating ourselves with AS, what's it to you? Please realize one thing though, those of us who self diagnosed generally didn't align with AS symptoms, the AS symptoms aligned with us. Someone without AS won't read the symptoms of it and suddenly parallel themselves unless there's already a mental problem. While I won't tell you that it won't or hasn't happened, I will tell you that more than likely it's a rare occurrence.

While we're rational enough to understand that the opinion of NT people are valid and generally helpful, we're smart enough to know that you personally, are full of sh**. I enjoy NT telling their perspective, but your arrogance isn't well received or appreciated. Typical I think of an NT to feel superior in some way here. I hope you don't project your superior arrogant BS complex on to your child as you have us. You should change your views before your child resents you for it. If your child IS diagnosed, I can guarantee he or she WILL see your personality flaws and, well, much like my mother, kicked to the curb because of it.

I offer a quote from Samuel Butler “The truest characters of ignorance are vanity,pride and arrogance.” I've shown you why this applies to you. Show your ignorance by responding!

Namaste

I too, made that connection, however I perceived it from the perspective of an NT over protective mother. When I pulled Aspieconfirmed's profile and saw he was DXed and male, I was less clear on the topic. I suspect your viewpoints on child rearing and mine are quite similar, as evidenced by a post I made last night on another thread, however you've BTDT and I have not.

I also had a very over protective mother who I felt viewed me as an object rather than as a person. It was not until I was into my thirties and near suicide that she was able to reach out and actualy listen to what I had to say. We had not talked for two years prior to that event. She was able to feel what I felt because she had been BTDT with my father. It was my position of weakness and her position of strength that allowed her to feel maternal for the first time in our experience. Our relationship today, although not spiffy, is far better than I would have ever immagined.

With regard to Aspieconfirmed, although I can well sympathise with your perspective, I found your comments directed at him to be harsh and belittling. Is not beating up a bully essentially being a bully one's self? Perhaps this is what NTs see in us. Maybe the self satisfaction you seemed to derive from trashing this poster has the same root cause that makes NTs want to trash us. Our superior intelect makes them feel small and insignificant. It would seem natural for them to derive pleasure from making us pay for the pain they feel. If Aspieconfirmed is in fact AS, he is probably in the same boat as the rest of us, in the words of a song; sharing a drink they call lonlieness. I don't mean to defend the offensive nature of his posts, I merely feel that of all people we should be more understanding, if not, how in the hell can we ever resonably expect those who can't even understand our perspective to do so.

I'm autistic, and I can speak for myself. I think Aspieconfirmed has that same right, however society does have it's rules, and AS, DXed or not, is a poor excuse for bad behavior.

Sorry my words upset you. I apologize to you and members of this board who were offended or turned off if my words seemed belittling, harsh, excessive, bully-ish or just plain wrong.

No apology to you, aspieconfirmed. What I said still stands.

Kellatrix815
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Aug 2009, 10:04 pm

serenity wrote:
Romanticizing, and thinking positively are two different things.

Exactly. I don't think anyone is stupid for trying to find the positive side of ASD, if there is one to be found. I just think it's foolish for anyone to "romanticize" a disease, especially one that can be so debilitating. Just because a person chooses not to be diagnosed does not mean that they desire to live in a fantasy land in which they see themselves as superior to all NTs because this disorder has made them special. Being an aspie has caused me a lot of problems. But, once again, I haven't made those problems into a way to get attention for myself. If anything, I try to overcome those problems on my own and not be a burden to anyone else because of them.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 12:43 am

NOBS wrote:
Well, as I am one of those self DXed, I will again recite my life history and leave it open to the readers speculation.

When I was in kindergarten the school administration wanted to hold me back for another year by virtue of the fact that I was unable to skip. My parents went to the school and successfuly pleaded that I be advanced. Durring the following year, (1968) was the presedential election between Nixon and Humphrey. For some reason it was vitaly important to me that Nixon won. I stayed up all that November night as Walter Cronkite reported the precinct returns as they came in. At about 6:00 AM my parents woke up and wondered wtf I was still doing up watching TV. After I gave the rundown on the status of the election, they must have thought: wow we have a strange six year old.

Durring the summer between first and second grade, my parents moved from the midwest to Texas. That year in school we watced a PBS book review on Walter Farley's "The Black Stallion". I was captivated, and requested my parents get that book for me for Christmas. My parents discussed this with my teacher, a kindly woman in her fifties with many years of teaching under her belt, and it was recomended that they not give me that book, as it was beyond my reading level and would cause me to get discouraged or disinterested in reading. None the less, my parents relented and I received that book for Christmas. By the end of the school year I had devowered the entire Black Stalion series. That same teacher, although not a clinician, asertained during that year that I was learning disabled, and should be placed in special education. Consequently, I was sent to a pediatric shrink, who after administering a battery of tests including a "Wisconson" IQ test which I scored 165, determined that I was "gifted" and recomended placement in advanced classes, a concept that was relatively new at the time. My parents felt that I already had an arrogant attitude, and that placing me in a class for "gifted" kids would merely serve to exacerbate that self image, thus demured. Therefore I remained in standard and ultimately remedial classes throughout my public school years.

Before I move on chronologicly, I'd like to note that I was playing chess at the age of four, I have many memories from what would seem impossable ages. I clearly remember when Kennedy was shot, although not with any meaning or context, just the event and the effect it had on my family. I was thirteen months old at the time. From grade school on through high school I would regail my Dads friends with economic theory, opinions on foreign relations, the latest developments in science, etc. His friends, amazed that this kid was talking way over their heads, would ask "where does he get this stuff from?". My Dad's stock answer was "I get my 'U.S. News & World Report' a week late, after he's done with them".

Another perhaps unusual patern of behavior I exhibited when young was; as an only child, and already shunned by most of my peers, I was very into G.I. Joes. I had a huge collection and would devise these huge adventures using every accessory in my collection. My collection was so large that it was impossable to complete the adventure in one day, so therefore I would start over again the next day. I also had a peculiar affinity for certain clothes. I would routinely wear a matching sweat shirt and Sears toughskin long pants in 100 degree plus Farenheight weather in Texas. I was often refered to as "having a memory like an elephant".

The next chapter is middle school. By this point my oddities had become strikingly apparrent to my peers. This was in no way helped by the fact that my mother did, indeed, dress me funny. I was not even aware of this fact untill nineth grade, while in a try out for a play, a tenth grade girl who I had the hots for, announced that I looked like I stepped out of the Sears catalog. These years were particularly brutal for me. I was beat up on a regular basis, and to add insult to injury, I was ALWAYS made out to be the villian. Not only did I get beat up, I got in trouble for getting beat up! If I fought back, I got in worse trouble. It had to be my fault I was told, people don't just beat people up for no reason. It was my attitude I was told. I asked what that meant, but of course no one could give me an answer. My parents even threatened me with military school. I, recognising that the structure and rigid discipline, (not to mention horseback riding and other extracuricular activities), was exactly what I needed was extatic. Unfortunately, my parents decided that the cost of military school was beyond their means so I remained to whither within the public prison, er..school system. Throughout much of middle school I did without lunch because it was much easier to give up my lunch money to the bully than to have to put up with the double humiliation of getting beat up physicaly by my peers and then getting beat up verbally by the adults.

I had been a very emotional child. Durring these years I began a lifelong habit of supressing my emotions as a survival tactic. I had to, the cry baby gets beat up all the more and then laughed at because of it. I began to quash my emotions as a means of maintaining self dignity. My assessment was emotion=pain and bad, logic=reason and good.

For a bit of lightness among this sordid tale, in the five part Youtube series on Kim Peek the real rainman, thre is a scene in which his father is dressing him for an event. Kim, at one point, is lying rigid on the bed while his father puts his socks on him. My mother did this very thing with me well into middle school. In all fairness however, I did sleep like the dead up untill well into my thirties, and it was the only way she could get me ready for school.

High school is where I came into my own. I had joined the drama club and found a eccentric clicque that was more or less accepting of my oddities, at least more so than I had experienced at the time. I rapidly learned that I had no particular gift for acting, so I became obsessed with stage craft. Lighting in particular was of great interest to me. I spent most of four years in one way or another devoting every waking moment to stage craft. I volenteered at every theatrical venue in town. I eventually worked at every theatre in the town to include gigs with the stage hands local. I knew I had found my nitch in life. Unfortunately, other things in my life were not faring too well at the time. I had started drinking regularly in nineth grade, and soon was known as the school drunk in a school of 4000 kids. Prety much everybody else was a pothead at the time, so it wasn't realy that big of a deal. This was the seventies. Also, my parents were having marital problems by this time, so I was largely free to do as I pleased. My school performance suffered greatly! I would routinely score close to 100% on tests, but daily work seemed to be such a waste of time. I reasoned that I was clearly meeting the intent of school, that is to learn, but the fact that I was still flunking proved that the system was stupid. During my second time in the eleventh grade, I was caught for the second time drunk on campus and caught for the second time with illegal copys of the keys to the school district. I was given the option of dropping out or expulsion. Well, I CAN take a hint. I dropped out, got drunk, and went to see the Navy recruiter. Yes, that day, and yes drunk.

Bear in mind that this was near the end of the Carter administration, post Vietnam, all volenteer service, and the military was not too popular at the time. Recruiters were finding it impossable to meet their quotas, pretty much anyone who could fog a mirror was fair game. I had scored a 97 out of a possable 99 on the ASVAB and was told that if I would get a GED I would be eligible for any program in the Navy except nuclear power. I easily passed the GED exams with high marks and was pressed into the advanced electronics field. I felt this would be useful in my carreer goal of stage lighting. I went through my schools with consistantly high marks although not with out disciplinary problems caused in large part by my drinking. I became a submarine missile technician working on the C-4 Trident ICBM. I went to five captains masts, all for minor infractions like ten minutes late. It was certainly not to my advantage that I had pissed off my captain by kicking him out of the missile compartment for jogging in a high radiation area. It was my job to do so, it just wasn't the politicly correct or smartest thing to do.

When I got out of the service, I was not exactly a sterling candidate for a professional position. Although I tried, I was routinely dismissed from those interviews I got with claims that they were looking for someone with experience on their particular equipment. By default, I ended up working as an electrician. I could easily fill a single spaced page with a list of jobs I have held in my life. I even lived in a labor hall for three months as a "rent a drunk".

Through my twentys and thirties, at approxamitly seven year intervals, my repressed emotions would well up and I would go through periods that I can only describe as psycotic. It was during one of these episodes when I was twentyfive that I met the lady who would become my wife. That she and I remained together for the fifteen years prior to marriage I can only attribute to Divine intervention.

I largely quit drinking at about the age of thirty and thus began the long ardous process of growing up. Today I earn a good, (although spotty), income, have been very hapily married for seven years come January, and should completely own my own very modest home within a few years, even though we only bought it six years ago. If you were to drive by my house, the only thing that would at all mitigate the assumption of poor white trash would be the two relatively new Hondas in the driveway. I have untold partialy completed projects all over. My house could well be declared a disaster area. I have no friends, or more acuratly, I don't know if I have any friends. No one outside of family calls, and I don't bother to call anyone either. I just don't know if the gesture would be wanted. When anyone tells me that I'm liked I'm generaly incredulous. I am told I have "space" problems. I have a strong tendency toward pacing and chain smoking. I find eye contact difficult and always have. I must have a procedure for everything, right down to taking a shower and yes, boiling water. I am inclined to count in my head. I can waste an entire day trying to decide what to have for breakfeast. I have two cats. I have webbed toes. Most of the "You might be an aspie if" statements ring true. On the aspie quiz I scored AS=126 of 200; NT=80 of 200; You are very likely an Aspie. People always misread what I say. I've been wrongfuly accused of all manor of misdeeds. I could go on and on and on.

I had never even heard of Aspergers syndrome untill about four years ago when my wife saw something on tv about it and said thats my husband. I poo pooed it as pop psycology untill about two years ago when I was having troubles at work with one of the nicest people I know. The things he accused me of are so ridiculous I was absolutely bewildered. It was then I started looking for wtf is wrong with me. When I came upon AS it was like I was hit with a ton of bricks. I kept reading my life story in someone elses words, people who do weird stuff that I thought only I did. When I thought of autisim, I thought of some moron screaming kid. I'm sorry, but that is what I thought. I would never have associated it with myself.

I see a shrink every two years for an unrelated reason. The clinician routinely notes my "good eye contact". What that person doesn't know is how much effort is required on my part to pull off that ruse. If I wanted a DX I'm quite sure I am intelligent enough to get one, or conversely to evade one.

I can tell you one thing I am definately not looking for is pity! I would be nice though, if every now and then I might get a little respect for what little success I have achieved and having come this far without eating a bullet. That someone might actually listen to what I have to say, and consider my opinion as having value would be wonderful.

Well, there it is dear reader. You may evaluate as you see fit. You are entiteled to your opinion as am I mine. As for as I am concerned I have AS.

I appreciated your story, NOBS, especially the part about respect for what we have attained in our lives without their intervention. I, too, have restrained myself from dining on the artillary and only I can appreciate what that has cost me throughout the years. Finding out about AS later in life and finally realizing this is probably as good as you are going to be able to maintain can be just as daunting as first starting out on our own in the world.

thanks again for sharing, it's good to know you, NOBS.

Merle

forweg
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Aug 2009, 1:39 am

aspieconfirmed wrote:
Get real. Get over it. Get a diagnosis or stop calling yourself Autistic to make excuses for your failiures in life.

People like you are what I like to call "fuel". What you do, and what you're so good at is "fueling" the "over the edge" and "already gone" amongst us, while simply annoying the rest.

I'm sure it's quite intentional. I've noticed that this forum is infested with posts like these from top to bottom. There's nothing that makes people feel better about themselves than preying on and abusing the weak and vulnerable. Those open to abuse shall inevitably be abused.

aspieconfirmed is inspirational.

GreatCeleryStalk
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 3:09 am

As can have a lot of positives and a lot of negatives; I'm told relatively often that I'm detail oriented, think outside the box, bring novel solutions to complex problems, etc.

However, I seem to only be able to learn so many social skills, deal with depression on a relatively regular basis, have issues with executive function, have difficulty dealing with intimidating supervisors and impatient people (not sure if that's strictly an AS thing).

It's not all roses and sunshine, but it isn't a pity party either.

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 7:16 am

hmm shynes is a trait of AS right....... what if your too shy do get a diagnoses.

aspie confermed.. im self dianosed but i get asked if i have AS often enouth without me saying anything about it...

also who are these professionals two tell me what im like and what im not like

km2113
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Aug 2009, 1:40 pm

Dear aspieconfirmed,

Anyone can find a professional that will tell them they have Asperger's Syndrome.
Anyone can find a professional that will tell them they have ADD.

A diagnosis is not the end all be all.

Heck, they may have told you your child has autism just to get you out of their office quicker...

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 2:42 pm

km2113 wrote:
Dear aspieconfirmed,

Anyone can find a professional that will tell them they have Asperger's Syndrome.

Heck, they may have told you your child has autism just to get you out of their office quicker...

Yay for this post!

ancashion
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Aug 2009, 3:27 pm

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
km2113 wrote:
Dear aspieconfirmed,

Yay for this post!

x2

1Oryx2
Toucan
Toucan

23 Aug 2009, 8:19 pm

Personally, in my own opinion, you should really get a formal diagnosis from a doctor. I don't have the qualifications to diagnose anyone with anything more then a cold so I'm pretty sure that, although I know me pretty well, until I get a diagnosis it's just speculation.

Who knows, it may not nessisarily be autism, it might be PDDNOS or a non-verbal learning disorder. So unless you are qualified, I say leave the diagnosis to the doctor.

Now, that's not to say that doctors are 100% right, they're human, just like the rest of us and are bound to make a mistake sometime in their life, but I'd trust an MD over myself.

And hey, maybe I'm wrong. Some people who diagnose themselves are probably right. But get diagnosed anyway. And I know it takes a long time -took me 8 years of testing and therapy and people scratching their heads before it was finnaly said. But its worth it . Without a formal diagnosis you can't get the bennifits like a disability penssion or school computers or stuff.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 8:37 pm

PDD-NOS is an Autism Spectrum Disorder, and a diagnosis of it does not mean that one is less impaired than someone with AS. God, I wish that they'd left it in the DSM as Atypical Autism. It would prevent a lot of confusion as to what it is.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 9:01 pm

Why is it PDD-NOS and not ASD-NOS?

darby54
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Aug 2009, 9:10 pm

km2113 wrote:

This is a really good point.

A previous post compared it to cancer, but that makes no sense since Asperger's/autism cannot be diagnosed from, say, a blood test, x-ray or biopsy.