This changes EVERYTHING for me, I have lots of hope now !

Page 6 of 13 [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

18 Jan 2011, 10:16 am

Popsicle wrote:
It's just a bag of tea. I'm not going to go broke over it. NT or AS everyone needs a nice cup of tea sometimes.

Yep, a nice warm cup of Ty-Phoo tea (an old & everyday brand in the UK) does it for me every time.
Nothing quite like a nice cuppa and a couple of chocolate bikkies. :lol:

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 10:20 am

deleted double post

Last edited by Popsicle on 18 Jan 2011, 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 10:21 am

gator_fan wrote:
I really am not getting what most of the replies are getting at. My point about side effects were that there is possibly less reason to be scared to try this stuff. Whether or not it has side effects remains to be seen but right now I'm not experiencing any.

You guys are really argumentative, and yeah I'm being general.

Be skeptical, sure, what I am saying must seem to be really out there, but what do you have to lose in trying what worked for me.

You know what, if you don't care to try it then don't try it.

But then maybe if you have no interest in what worked for me you shouldn't be participating in this thread. Don't you have something better to do ? Your technical arguments don't mean a thing.

Either it works for you or it doesn't or you are too (fill in the blank) to bother trying it.

It's typical message board behavior. I can see how it would hurt your feelings since you were all excited about this thing that helped you. You had a life changing moment, a diagnosis late in life and then no one else seemed excited about it with you. It's risky to open up too soon in a forum. That's just how it is. Or maybe at all. At least you have your group to talk to. Focus on them for emotional support.

I'll say something positive. It took guts to openly talk to strangers about your life changing moment. Still it does have some potential side effects so they were right to be hesitant. Remember they have probably heard countless promises of herbal benefits or different cures before. I applaud your post because it took guts and I'm happy you feel better and are doing better and have direction. I can understand their skepticism too.

I am still going to at least try it because it sounds like it could help me and I am not on any medications. For that one side effects site there were many more glowing testimonials.

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 10:22 am

Cornflake wrote:
Popsicle wrote:
It's just a bag of tea. I'm not going to go broke over it. NT or AS everyone needs a nice cup of tea sometimes.

Yep, a nice warm cup of Ty-Phoo tea (an old & everyday brand in the UK) does it for me every time.

That sounds really good. PS we are both toucan. :)

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

18 Jan 2011, 10:25 am

Popsicle wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Popsicle wrote:

Hey - so we are! Birds of a feather, an' all that. :lol:

But tea isn't really tea without some good dunking biscuits. Unless they fall apart and you have to fish the soggy remains out...

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 10:27 am

Cornflake wrote:
Popsicle wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Popsicle wrote:

But tea isn't really tea without some good dunking biscuits. Unless they fall apart and you have to fish the soggy remains out...

And we're both foods, as well. :lol:

I guess that's what the tea spoon is for. At least, for me. :lol:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

18 Jan 2011, 10:34 am

Popsicle wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Popsicle wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Popsicle wrote:

And we're both foods, as well. :lol:

I guess that's what the tea spoon is for. At least, for me. :lol:

:lol: :lol: Damn, I hadn't noticed the food thing!
You only know you have a really failed dunker when you have to resort to using a fork - but by then it's just easier to make another cup. (and have a couple more biscuits, of course)

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 10:37 am

Cornflake wrote:
You only know you have a really failed dunker when you have to resort to using a fork - but by then it's just easier to make another cup. (and have a couple more biscuits, of course)

:lol: Or use a sieve. :lol:

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 11:06 am

Popsicle wrote:
It's typical message board behavior. I can see how it would hurt your feelings since you were all excited about this thing that helped you. You had a life changing moment, a diagnosis late in life and then no one else seemed excited about it with you.

I think more people took issue with the sensationalist headline and his claim to have found something that changed his Aspie life only 2 weeks after finding out he has Aspergers. The "issues" then continued with his complete misunderstanding of how an Aspie personality would respond to his claims and the umbrage he took with being asked to provide proof, not just rosy stories. It is hard to get excited for someone who thinks he found a tea that "completely changed his life" only 2 weeks after getting diagnosed. He didn't ask any questions and he didn't ask as though he was looking for community or support, he sounded and acted as though he were just here to convince the world that he (or his wife) had discovered an amazing elixir of improved mental health. The literalists, academics and scientists amongst us took issue with his claims and he became defensive and petulant.

If he found something that helps him - that's fantastic and I wish him the best with that.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

18 Jan 2011, 11:34 am

Popsicle wrote:
Cornflake wrote:

:lol: :lol: But then I lose out on the extra bikkies...

gator_fan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jan 2011, 11:35 am

Popsicle wrote:
Thanks for sharing your story. Sounds like a lot of personal detail. Spammers give links and names and websites. You just said a generic tea. What is in it? Active ingredient? Do you know? I'm curious.

If it calms nerves and helps sleep I will try it. It's just a bag of tea. I'm not going to go broke over it. NT or AS everyone needs a nice cup of tea sometimes.

I think the reaction you got was partly because some people thought you were talking about a cure. I didn't interpret what you wrote that way. You just said it made you calmer that's all.

Oh - according to this site it can have potentially dangerous side effects in some people. This is something anyone thinking about trying it should be aware of. Or talk to their physician about it first.

http://www.ehow.com/list_5839102_side-e ... n-tea.html

You wrote:

What is in it? Active ingredient? Do you know? I'm curious

Well you can get this all over the internet, and I'm not a scientist or a doctor so I'm not going to bore everybody with something everyone can read on just about 100 different sites other than its in some ways structurally similar to Ginseng yet supposedly more powerful. The most important factor may be that its considered an adaptogen. My wide bought it for me probably because its considered an antioxidant and I have always been obsessed about not getting cancer etc.

You wrote:

You just said it made you calmer that's all.

Thanks, you have good reading skills and I really appreciate someone stating that. I think its obvious that I am not making a huge claim other than for myself. But who knows, maybe it will work for most persons.

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 11:39 am

MidlifeAspie wrote:
Popsicle wrote:
It's typical message board behavior. I can see how it would hurt your feelings since you were all excited about this thing that helped you. You had a life changing moment, a diagnosis late in life and then no one else seemed excited about it with you.

I think more people took issue with the sensationalist headline and his claim to have found something that changed his Aspie life only 2 weeks after finding out he has Aspergers. The "issues" then continued with his complete misunderstanding of how an Aspie personality would respond to his claims and the umbrage he took with being asked to provide proof, not just rosy stories. It is hard to get excited for someone who thinks he found a tea that "completely changed his life" only 2 weeks after getting diagnosed. He didn't ask any questions and he didn't ask as though he was looking for community or support, he sounded and acted as though he were just here to convince the world that he (or his wife) had discovered an amazing elixir of improved mental health. The literalists, academics and scientists amongst us took issue with his claims and he became defensive and petulant.

If he found something that helps him - that's fantastic and I wish him the best with that.

Point taken.

I interpreted what he wrote as being the other part of the life changing event was not just the tea but realizing he probably has Aspergers. After 45 years of frustration trying to fit in, that had to be big. That's what I got from it.

He definitely did want it noticed (as he said), and in his excitement probably forgot the other side of it: that sounding so convinced might sound like a sales pitch to some.

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 11:40 am

Cornflake wrote:
Popsicle wrote:
Cornflake wrote:

OH yeah! Good point. :lol:

Now I want some Milano cookies. 8)

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

18 Jan 2011, 11:44 am

gator_fan wrote:
The most important factor may be that its considered an adaptogen.

I don't mean to diminish your enthusiasm, but many of us would consider it more important that "adaptogen" has no basis in medical or scientific study. It's a herbalist's buzzword, and my gut instinct is filter out important-looking buzzwords.

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Well you can get this all over the internet, and I'm not a scientist or a doctor so I'm not going to bore everybody with something everyone can read on just about 100 different sites other than its in some ways structurally similar to Ginseng yet supposedly more powerful.

Well...you brought it up! Lol. This is probably a crowd who would appreciate specifics. But okay.

Google can find something but the pages it finds don't necessarily explain it, especially not first-hand. I have no way of knowing if those sites are full of fake testimonials. Anyone can write a web page and make it sound real. Like this:

"Lentils are a magic food. I never felt so good!" - Barbara, Knoxville, TN

"Lentils made me a millionaire!" - Keith, Biloxi, MS

You see what I mean. That's why I would rather ask someone I'm "talking to" than to ask Google. It's all anecdotal anyway. I thought you might have found out more about it since you are very into the tea.

ETA: Like Cornflakes wrote, adaptogen is a general term. It's not an ingredient. I was curious if you knew what plant it's from, or anything. If you work up someone's curiosity they are bound to have questions. But it is not a big thing. If I decide to drink it I will go do research myself. It's just easier to ask you. :lol:

Last edited by Popsicle on 18 Jan 2011, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

Popsicle wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Popsicle wrote:
Cornflake wrote:

OH yeah! Good point. :lol:

Now I want some Milano cookies. 8)

Gimmeeee! :lol: