Aspie males offensively generalizing about women!! !

Page 6 of 14 [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 5:34 pm

Quest_techie wrote:
okay, I DO have some viable insight into this, I just don't know if I can get it out of my head into words

language is a common and external reference point, it is a means of translating internal reference points into external reference points and ganing understanding of the world outside our own minds

so are stereotypes, though they aren't as good

stereotypes are VERY primative reference points, think of them as "river that way" wheras language would be "oh, yeah, that freeway mile marker on I-80 that is 16 miles to colfax, 32 to auburn and 64 to sac" <my favorite roadsign yet>

stereotypes are how we explain things to ourselves that we don't understand, we take a bear minimum amount of information, and compile it into something that ALMOST seems to make sense, or seems to make sense or that we delude ourselves that it makes sense, in some ways as well as being a broken communication pratice it is also a shoot first ask questions later means of defending oneself

if you form a stereotype that a certain type of person is bad to work with because they don't work hard and thus they endanger your standing in the pack, tribe, company, what have you you are going to avoid working with others of that type as a means of trying to protect your standing

this is a bad explanation, I really wish I were better at this whole communication thing, I hope it's enough to allow someone else to put together an explanation that is actually understandable

Couldn't have said it better myself...

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 5:52 pm

Quest_techie wrote:

okay, I DO have some viable insight into this, I just don't know if I can get it out of my head into words

language is a common and external reference point, it is a means of translating internal reference points into external reference points and ganing understanding of the world outside our own minds

stereotypes are VERY primative reference points, think of them as "river that way" wheras language would be "oh, yeah, that freeway mile marker on I-80 that is 16 miles to colfax, 32 to auburn and 64 to sac" <my favorite roadsign yet>

stereotypes are how we explain things to ourselves that we don't understand, we take a bear minimum amount of information, and compile it into something that ALMOST seems to make sense, or seems to make sense or that we delude ourselves that it makes sense, in some ways as well as being a broken communication pratice it is also a shoot first ask questions later means of defending oneself

if you form a stereotype that a certain type of person is bad to work with because they don't work hard and thus they endanger your standing in the pack, tribe, company, what have you you are going to avoid working with others of that type as a means of trying to protect your standing

this is a bad explanation, I really wish I were better at this whole communication thing, I hope it's enough to allow someone else to put together an explanation that is actually understandable

I understood what you were saying, and it makes sense to me and I think it's pretty accurate!

Stereotypes can give us a basis to work on, and can be useful if we have absolutely nothing else to work with. Since they are often based on very little information, stereotypes need to be refined in order for it to be of actual real use. Events that transpire that break the stereotypes should cause the person involved to rethink the situation, to re-evaluate the stereotype and correct it if necessary. This is logical, scientific thinking, and it make sense. However, I've come across my own personal AS situations, as well as read many posts here, where the Aspie does not actually re-evaluate his or her own line of thinking; he or she instead makes the conclusion that "it's not my belief that needs re-evaluating, the situation was simply an outlier and the fact that this situation is different is intrinsic to something unique about this situation, and not something wrong with my thinking." Sometimes the situation really is a one-off, but other times it's not, and that makes the evaluations tricky. People aren't perfect. They won't have the correct idea that explains everything on the first go. Continue to refine your thinking and you'll be closer to understanding reality. Everybody, AS and non-AS, will not learn anything if he or she thinks there is nothing to learn. One will have to admit that there is something he or she does not know. Otherwise that person learns nothing, and yet continues to run into problems and wonders why these problems never get solved.

We all know those people who complain about the same relationship or social problems over and over again, I'm not going to name names.

Some people commented that the issue about male stereotyping of women is not unique to Aspies; non-Aspies do it also. That is true. But that simple fact does not mean (even on a logical level) that AS does not have its own contribution to the stereotyping/generalizing issue, and does not mean that AS cannot exacerbate problems and issues also experienced by non-Aspies. I had a dissertation committee meeting recently where I showed my troubleshooting results: the control condition and the experimental condition both had low results. I concluded that there must be something common in both conditions that contributed to the low results. However, one of the professors on my committee commented that even if the control is also low, does not mean that there isn't something unique to the test condition that would make that result too. It would be something whose effect is masked or hidden by the other common element that is affecting both test and control conditions. It is a similar issue here too, AS can definitely play a role in all the stereotyping and generalizing we see here. And what makes me suspect that AS has such a role? To give suitable evidence to support (not prove, though, proof would require an Aspie who wasn't also human), it'd have to be an example outside of the male/female stereotyping, and that's easy: look at all the stereotyping that goes on here against non-Aspies (NTs). We can talk about stereotypes and generalities all we want on WP, but in the end, what are we going to do to get ourselves out of this rut? We can all point the finger at everybody else and tell them that it's their problem, not our own, but if that does not solve our problems, what do we need to do? Talking about these issues with sympathetic people is great and makes us not feel alone, but in the long run does not do anything to fix the problems. It allows us to survive and cope with a problem, but it won't get rid of the problem.

I don't want people to think that I believe that everything that the Aspie experiences or does is wrong or is the fault of the Aspie. That's not the case at all. But I think that it isn't healthy, nor right, to think of having AS as this one giant great monolithic thing that is awesome and wholesome. AS is a mixed bag, just like everything else is. AS has some fantastic features (the ability to focus on details in such a way that we don't take the little things in life for granted, almost like a child's perception of things), and some incredible failings (the child's perception makes it more difficult for us to understand more complicated situations, especially when the "whole is greater than the sum of its parts"). One can see that I used the same attribute, childlike perception, as a positive and a negative. Whether it ends up as good or bad depends on the situation. A lot of things in life are mixed bags. Two sides of a coin. We extol the virtues of the good side of AS, but have such a difficult time dealing with the bad side. Things are so much more complicated than anybody, AS and non-AS alike, would like to admit. Sexual/romantic frustrations are significant in themselves, but at the same time one of a whole set of things that Aspies as Aspies and as human beings encounter.

(Hailing originally from the San Francisco area who used to go up to Truckee/Tahoe for skiing, I'm well familiar with the I-80 sign you're talking about... that sign always intrigued me too, the fact that the numbers were multiples of 16, and were doubles).

GenericBrandUserName
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jan 2007, 6:49 pm

I have no problems with women as a whole. I don't hate them. I do have a severe loathing for the ones that had the balls to manipulate me, use me, and pretty much tell me lies. The only thing that's changed since my encounter with them were my marriage standards (ie. who I will and won't marry), which was basically a lifestyle change from semi-liberal to ultra-conservative, in my eyes. Nothing right or wrong about it. It's relative and subjective, lifestyle decisions, that is.

I'm a virgin, still, and I wouldn't say that I'm sexually frustrated. I'm naturally a cynical, dry-witted person that can sometimes come off as hostile, bitter, etc. I'm pretty indifferent about sex, even as a virgin. Whether I get it or not matters none to me. I don't need it in my life to function, and if there were an opportunity for me to 'get it', chances are I'd turn it down because I'm horribly picky.

I can only speak from experience when I say the women I dated were the ones that believed a relationship couldn't survive without the sexual aspect of it. I would have thought NT males would be more in line to this way of thinking. Of course, I was also provem there are some women who feel this way, too. My answer to the the whole 'relationships can't survive without the sexual aspect of it' argument? BS. It can. Platonic relationships, anyone? If Plato was able to pull it off way back when, then anybody else can. It takes willpower, a lot of it, and I have plenty to spare.

Again, I have no ill feelings toward women as a group, only to those who had the nerve to betray me and make me look like a fool. That goes with anyone from any group of people, as I deal with people on an individual basis, not a group basis. I won't lie or deny that my now-strict views/standards/beliefs on marriage, relationships, and sex will pretty much leave me single, but at the same time, I can live with being single, celibate, chaste, and a virgin for the rest of my life. :)

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 6:58 pm

I don't view AS girls as "things" i view them as people,unlike some guys like hellznrg...

Melantha
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jan 2007, 7:53 pm

GenericBrandUserName wrote:
I'm pretty indifferent about sex, even as a virgin. Whether I get it or not matters none to me. I don't need it in my life to function, and if there were an opportunity for me to 'get it', chances are I'd turn it down because I'm horribly picky.

I can only speak from experience when I say the women I dated were the ones that believed a relationship couldn't survive without the sexual aspect of it. I would have thought NT males would be more in line to this way of thinking. Of course, I was also provem there are some women who feel this way, too. My answer to the the whole 'relationships can't survive without the sexual aspect of it' argument? BS. It can. Platonic relationships, anyone? If Plato was able to pull it off way back when, then anybody else can. It takes willpower, a lot of it, and I have plenty to spare.

Most people, male and female, will not accept an intimate relationship without sex. It's not that they don't think it can survive, it's just not what they want. It denies part of their nature. I believe an intimate relationship can survive without sex,if both parties for some reason felt it necessary and desirable, but would I really want that? No. Like most people, I am a sexual being and I would want that aspect of myself fulfilled rather than ignored. If it takes such willpower to abstain from sex, and yet you say you're indifferent to sex and don't care whether you get it or not, then why not just have sex to satisfy your partner? A Platonic relationship is not a relationship in the sense that most people are looking for; that's just what we call a friendship. An intimate romantic relationship is friendship + sex. So if there's no sex or sexual tension involved, what you're doing with these women is not really dating or courting, you're just going out with a friend -- which is not what they're looking for or expecting. They're looking for a relationship that embraces their whole being, all the facets of who they are, which includes their sexuality.

P.S. Platonic love, as originally practised by Plato and other philosophers of his school, was not "sexless" love at all. It had to do with combining the physical and the spiritual aspects of a relationship in service of the pursuit of wisdom. Plato, like most philosophers of his circle, engaged in sexual relationships with his young male students in the belief that this bond of spiritual-sexual love was the motivating power that drove them to excel in their quest for knowledge under his tutelage.

Iam
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jan 2007, 10:44 pm

Is the precept of this thread an offensive generalization regarding Aspie males?
I have never been able to understand or negotiate the intricacies of intimate or romantic relationships. At the age of 55, I am single and have never been married. I have had one relatively brief romantic relationship, and that was over 30 years ago.
I have encountered some women who have remorselessly manipulated and mocked me. I have had a number of female friends and aquaintances, and I have considered all of them as unique and distinct individuals.
I still do not understand what women really want.

presto

24 Jan 2007, 12:38 am

this thread is dumb

Quest_techie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2007, 1:26 am

Stinkypuppy wrote:
Quest_techie wrote:

I understood what you were saying, and it makes sense to me and I think it's pretty accurate!

Stereotypes can give us a basis to work on, and can be useful if we have absolutely nothing else to work with. Since they are often based on very little information, stereotypes need to be refined in order for it to be of actual real use. Events that transpire that break the stereotypes should cause the person involved to rethink the situation, to re-evaluate the stereotype and correct it if necessary. This is logical, scientific thinking, and it make sense. However, I've come across my own personal AS situations, as well as read many posts here, where the Aspie does not actually re-evaluate his or her own line of thinking; he or she instead makes the conclusion that "it's not my belief that needs re-evaluating, the situation was simply an outlier and the fact that this situation is different is intrinsic to something unique about this situation, and not something wrong with my thinking." Sometimes the situation really is a one-off, but other times it's not, and that makes the evaluations tricky. People aren't perfect. They won't have the correct idea that explains everything on the first go. Continue to refine your thinking and you'll be closer to understanding reality. Everybody, AS and non-AS, will not learn anything if he or she thinks there is nothing to learn. One will have to admit that there is something he or she does not know. Otherwise that person learns nothing, and yet continues to run into problems and wonders why these problems never get solved.

We all know those people who complain about the same relationship or social problems over and over again, I'm not going to name names.

Some people commented that the issue about male stereotyping of women is not unique to Aspies; non-Aspies do it also. That is true. But that simple fact does not mean (even on a logical level) that AS does not have its own contribution to the stereotyping/generalizing issue, and does not mean that AS cannot exacerbate problems and issues also experienced by non-Aspies. I had a dissertation committee meeting recently where I showed my troubleshooting results: the control condition and the experimental condition both had low results. I concluded that there must be something common in both conditions that contributed to the low results. However, one of the professors on my committee commented that even if the control is also low, does not mean that there isn't something unique to the test condition that would make that result too. It would be something whose effect is masked or hidden by the other common element that is affecting both test and control conditions. It is a similar issue here too, AS can definitely play a role in all the stereotyping and generalizing we see here. And what makes me suspect that AS has such a role? To give suitable evidence to support (not prove, though, proof would require an Aspie who wasn't also human), it'd have to be an example outside of the male/female stereotyping, and that's easy: look at all the stereotyping that goes on here against non-Aspies (NTs). We can talk about stereotypes and generalities all we want on WP, but in the end, what are we going to do to get ourselves out of this rut? We can all point the finger at everybody else and tell them that it's their problem, not our own, but if that does not solve our problems, what do we need to do? Talking about these issues with sympathetic people is great and makes us not feel alone, but in the long run does not do anything to fix the problems. It allows us to survive and cope with a problem, but it won't get rid of the problem.

I don't want people to think that I believe that everything that the Aspie experiences or does is wrong or is the fault of the Aspie. That's not the case at all. But I think that it isn't healthy, nor right, to think of having AS as this one giant great monolithic thing that is awesome and wholesome. AS is a mixed bag, just like everything else is. AS has some fantastic features (the ability to focus on details in such a way that we don't take the little things in life for granted, almost like a child's perception of things), and some incredible failings (the child's perception makes it more difficult for us to understand more complicated situations, especially when the "whole is greater than the sum of its parts"). One can see that I used the same attribute, childlike perception, as a positive and a negative. Whether it ends up as good or bad depends on the situation. A lot of things in life are mixed bags. Two sides of a coin. We extol the virtues of the good side of AS, but have such a difficult time dealing with the bad side. Things are so much more complicated than anybody, AS and non-AS alike, would like to admit. Sexual/romantic frustrations are significant in themselves, but at the same time one of a whole set of things that Aspies as Aspies and as human beings encounter.

(Hailing originally from the San Francisco area who used to go up to Truckee/Tahoe for skiing, I'm well familiar with the I-80 sign you're talking about... that sign always intrigued me too, the fact that the numbers were multiples of 16, and were doubles).

I could hug you for that whole post if hugging didn't scare the hell out of me....

so I could instead thank you and bow at the waist in a formal manner, those japanese people know what they are doing

<and did you notice shortly down the road exit 128 is RIGHT after a sign that is 128 out of san fran?>

breeze
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jan 2007, 11:41 am

Thanks Melantha for bringing this out of the woodwork, I've noticed it too and I'm sure most women have, although I wasn't prepared for the extent of the misogyny in some of the replies above....But I'm glad I know now.

The thing is though that with 8000 members inevitably some of them will be creeps and some of them will be immature kids. Especially given that the one thing everyone on this site has in common is an interest in and/or identification with a disorder that impairs social skills. And as a woman I have learnt a lot about men from the fact that I have watched thousands of movies about them, read thousands of book by them, and heard millions of them speak live or on TV. But because we live in a male-dominated society a lot of guys who don't have female friends or relatives they look up to may never have heard a woman talk. They associate femininity with what corrupt Hollywood executives invent. Sad but true.

I use WP as a social support network and it works very well....but there's a lot of crap I have to disregard. This too teaches me something because I take things way too much to heart in real life. But mostly I enjoy reading things that I can identify with written by witty and insightful people.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 1:35 pm

Yeah thanks Melantha for saying something others are afraid to say on here. It's entirely the same reason I left WP for several months. On here it seems like its non-stop berating of women. It's certainly not all of the guys, just a select few. You can't really blame that on AS as there is no way to know whether everyone on the forum really has AS. I think for the outside world to view WP they would get a very bad idea of what Aspergers is really about. This is terribly insulting forum to women as we get jumped on for even expressing an opinion. I guess women aren't suppose to have opinions.

I think a little of it does stim from the sexually frustrated men. But they don't seem to realize it is a self fullfilling prophesy. Maybe they aren't successful with women so they build up anger, start insulting all women in an effort to reltaliate against women and try to make them feel the sadness they feel. Then the woman rejects them and the whole cycle starts over again. I suspect to a lesser extent there is also culture coming into play as we have members from many countries and not all countries have the same viewpoints on women and men.

I think some members are overly sensitive and jump to conclusions. Like I got berated for stating my opinion that two Aspies having a relationship could prove to be difficult. So then a few of the men jumped on me because they assume that was against males. Now we all know a relationship can be with either gender. Then if I mention a previous relationship there's a certain someone on here who suggests I am making it up because since they have no experience with relationships they assume its impossible for any other Aspie to have been in relationships or had sex.

Then part of the problem is maturity level. I see most of the older gentlemen being nice to everyone, but then there are children on here and they haven't quite learned how to get along with others yet.

GenericBrandUserName
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jan 2007, 2:33 pm

Quote:
Most people, male and female, will not accept an intimate relationship without sex. It's not that they don't think it can survive, it's just not what they want. It denies part of their nature.

I'm aware of this. I'm just saying that a sexless relationship is possible.

Quote:
I believe an intimate relationship can survive without sex,if both parties for some reason felt it necessary and desirable, but would I really want that? No. Like most people, I am a sexual being and I would want that aspect of myself fulfilled rather than ignored.

See my last reply. Also, for some of us, aka the minority, it's an aspect that isn't there, thus doesn't need to be fufilled.

Quote:
If it takes such willpower to abstain from sex, and yet you say you're indifferent to sex and don't care whether you get it or not, then why not just have sex to satisfy your partner?

Not having a partner is a damn good start, which I don't have one, and I've never really had one. I'm a virgin and I have no sexual experience, but I do have an opinion on the matter and it's no better, worse, right or wrong than anyone else's opinion on this matter. I've done enough book reading and learning from the School Of Hard Knocks™ to form an educated opinion.

Quote:
A Platonic relationship is not a relationship in the sense that most people are looking for; that's just what we call a friendship. An intimate romantic relationship is friendship + sex. So if there's no sex or sexual tension involved, what you're doing with these women is not really dating or courting, you're just going out with a friend -- which is not what they're looking for or expecting. They're looking for a relationship that embraces their whole being, all the facets of who they are, which includes their sexuality.

Then maybe that's all I need, then, is friendship.

Quote:
P.S. Platonic love, as originally practised by Plato and other philosophers of his school, was not "sexless" love at all. It had to do with combining the physical and the spiritual aspects of a relationship in service of the pursuit of wisdom. Plato, like most philosophers of his circle, engaged in sexual relationships with his young male students in the belief that this bond of spiritual-sexual love was the motivating power that drove them to excel in their quest for knowledge under his tutelage.

So I got the terminology wrong for the definition I was trying to define. Regardless, my feelings on sex and relationships regarding my own personal feelings and personal values remain the same. I know I'm not in the "majority rule" with my train of thought, and I honestly don't care. You embrace your sexuality, I don't. What we choose to do with our lives is just that, and there's nothing inherently "right" or "wrong" with it.

Then again, as I said before, a lot of my own views/beliefs on the matter of sexuality are based on personal experience. There's other things it's based on, but I don't feel like opening a huge can of worms, and I know it will.

EDIT: Several corrections and one post deletion later, I got this post right!

Last edited by GenericBrandUserName on 24 Jan 2007, 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 2:45 pm

Melantha wrote:
I thought, after reading some of Tony Attwood's stuff, that aspies were more likely than NTs to take people as individuals, at face value, with few preconceptions and prejudices. But since coming onto the WP forums, I'm starting to wonder where this idea came from. I've never been on any forum before where so many people seem to generalize and stereotype to such an unbelievable extent. The one thing that jumps out immediately is the way the male members seem to perceive (or rather, NOT perceive) female human beings. The misconceptions and assumptions bandied about here every day are astounding and saddening. Attitudes that even NT males would consider sexist and outdated are regularly displayed here by male aspies. They seem unable to simply view a female human being as an individual first, rather than as just an interchangeable unit of the mass known as "women". I find it incredibly offensive to engage in dialogue with someone only to find out that he has an automatically negative prejudice against me because I was born in a body with female reproductive organs. Apparently this somehow negates all other aspects of my being and strips me of my right to be perceived as an individual; I'm not Melantha, the unique human being, I'm just a woman. I would venture to say it's no coincidence that most of the men displaying this attitude also whine about not being able to get a girlfriend or get laid. Hmmm, maybe you guys could try just SEEING US AS PEOPLE???? Ever think of that? Women know when they're being pre-judged for what they are rather than truly seen for who they are, and they don't like it any more than you do. That could have a whole lot to do with the negative reactions you receive. :x

...And this comes from the woman who has a picture of herself on Myspace where she's covering her naked breasts with Latex gloves...
YES, being only interested in sex once in my pitiful, obese, uneducated life, I have a preference for porn you would probably not like.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 3:00 pm

Lonermutant wrote:
...And this comes from the woman who has a picture of herself on Myspace where she's covering her naked breasts with Latex gloves...
YES, being only interested in sex once in my pitiful, obese, uneducated life, I have a preference for porn you would probably not like.

Lonermutant things might improve for you if you didn't embrace your user name so much. Cheer up and quit being so negative. It might also help to post a non-frowny picture if you would like to be more successful with women. Obesity doesn't have anything to do with not getting women. I know a guy that weighed at least 400 lbs and had women flocking around him and he was already married. And he had me flocking around him too and I'm lesbian. Personality will get a man far!!

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 3:07 pm

hay loner can you send me the link of that picture, i reckon it is so funny...latex gloves for real?
ahahahahahhaha

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 3:21 pm

donkey wrote:
hay loner can you send me the link of that picture, i reckon it is so funny...latex gloves for real?
ahahahahahhaha

Just go to Melantha's Myspace page, it's on her "Website" link. It's in her sideshow.

Melantha
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jan 2007, 4:26 pm

I fail to see what a picture of me has to do with anything in this thread. I also fail to see what is so significant about the gloves; they are not latex, they are PVC, and I bought them to go with my PVC evening dress which I wore to a Navy ball I attended with my husband one time. And if my breasts are covered, they aren't naked. Although so what if there was a full-frontal picture of me stark naked???? Who gives a crap? The only person obsessing about it is you, Lonermutant. Guess what, I also go to nude beaches. And I breastfeed in public without shrouding myself in a tent. Your preoccupation with my personal preferences about what I do with my body is a little freaky. So I like being naked; so I like to express my sexuality; so I don't let men like you shame me into becoming a cowering doormat; so what? It's none of your business. If the female body is so disturbing to you, perhaps you should move to Saudi Arabia where all the women wear abayas. This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about: hostile, misogynistic attitudes that denigrate women for daring to express themselves.

ETA -- And I don't care if you like porn, why would I? What does it have to do with me?