Should i tell my shrink i am autistic

Page 6 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 9:34 am

MalchikBrodyaga wrote:
Okay if you really think the shrink will share things with people (despite the fact that she is not allowed to), wouldn't you want her to share that you have an insight into your condition (as evident by your using the word autism yourself) rather than just sharing that you are one of those stupid autistics who didn't even know they are autistic until she told them?

You misunderstand again.
I said "I'm afraid that her diagnosis would become known by any mean in which case associations and anti-autist may harm me."
I gave an example of internet confidentiality being not reliable
I gave an example of laws and visions being changing across time

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 9:35 am

In what country do you reside, OP--if you wouldn't mind revealing it.

As one can clearly see, I referred, specifically, to the US. I wasn't making a blanket assumption about the policies of other countries.

Saying this, psychology as a discipline has certain ethical standards. One hallmark of this ethical approach is the patient/therapist relationship. Confidentiality is seen as being sacrosanct (something which is sacred and essential).

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 10 May 2018, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 9:36 am

OP, are you worried that there will be a written mention of your autism and that others will be able to access it?

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 9:38 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Anyway, it's probably important to tell your therapist that you have autism. That could determine the path of your treatment, and optimize it (especially if the therapist is knowledgeable about autism).

I will let her do her job.
If she has a good insight into autism, she will understand I am autistic and that's the most important for helping.
If she has not enough insight into autism, I prefer not telling her I'm autistic.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 9:39 am

underwater wrote:
OP, are you worried that there will be a written mention of your autism and that others will be able to access it?

for example, yes

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 9:47 am

Do you have an official diagnosis of autism already?

No one should have access to your therapists' private notes, no matter what country you're in.

Saying this....I guess there's really no purpose to overtly revealing your autism.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 10 May 2018, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 9:50 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
In what country do you reside, OP--if you wouldn't mind revealing it.

I live in Europe. I am self-diagnosed.
I also heard for example of centralized medical files (accessible from any medical personnel). I don't remember which countries.
If laws change, the government could also impose centralized medical files,
they can write laws against autism (I wouldn't be surprised)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 9:53 am

If you're self-diagnosed, it would serve no purpose to reveal to your therapist that you might be autistic.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 10:22 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
If you're self-diagnosed, it would serve no purpose to reveal to your therapist that you might be autistic.

I don't understand why you say that. There are advantages that but in any case, I decided I would not tell her.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 10:34 am

I say that because there's the possibility that you might not actually be autistic. It might turn out that something else is causing your symptoms.

Then, if your "autism" is revealed, you'll get the stigma attached to it, without you "having" it.

Revealing your autism, even if you turn out to be autistic, might not really change the treatment methods, anyway.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I'M NOT SAYING THAT YOU'RE NOT AUTISTIC.....I believe self-diagnosis, at times, could be just as valid as an official diagnosis.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 11:02 am

Diagnosis does not matter for me because I know. I think it makes finally no big difference for the treatment whether my shrink knows or not.

Diagnosis would really matter however if I did not know I am autistic and I was wondering crazy what is wrong with me.

MalchikBrodyaga
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2018, 11:34 am

LaetiBlabla wrote:
Diagnosis does not matter for me because I know. I think it makes finally no big difference for the treatment whether my shrink knows or not.

Diagnosis would really matter however if I did not know I am autistic and I was wondering crazy what is wrong with me.

But its important that your shrink knows htat you know. Thats why I think you should tell your shrink that you *suspect* you are autistic. Whether your shrink agrees with it or not doesn't matter, but at least your shrink will know you thought of it and you had an insight into your condition.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 12:11 pm

^^î don't think it is so important. That she helps me on precise problems is the most important.

And as I already said I don't "suspect" I have autism, I am sure.

Last edited by LaetiBlabla on 10 May 2018, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 12:25 pm

MalchikBrodyaga wrote:
I think you should tell your shrink that you *suspect* you are autistic. Whether your shrink agrees with it or not doesn't matter, but at least your shrink will know you thought of it and you had an insight into your condition.

In addition, since you are afraid of the diagnostic report being improperly accessed request an "unofficial diagnosis", that is where she says in her professional opinion you are autistic but no report is written to be improperly accessed. Remember in that scenario she may treat you but you will likely have no access to benefits, accommodations or services should you need them at some point. The above are assumptions. I would advise researching medical privacy laws and requirements for help in your country. If sharing medical information is illegal the chances are low that your information would get to people wanting to use it to harm you.

If you want no risk of the information being shared, stop seeing therapists and move on with the rest of your life based on your self-diagnosis. That is something I would advise against but I have not done a risk assessment of improper disclosure in your country.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 12:36 pm

^^well, ...

as I already said many times,
I am not interested in having a label on my forehead. I am comfortable with my self diagnosis

As I already said as well,
I am not seeing a psychologist to get a diagnosis but to get some help.

I don't need benefits from the state. I have a job which pays well and I have my own roof. In any case, I wouldn't take any risk to sell my privacy and freedom for a temporary financial advantage

Last edited by LaetiBlabla on 10 May 2018, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2018, 12:50 pm

Is it possible to close this thread?

Because I had enough comments and I said I took a decision as to the subject of this thread and still, people are responding to me by making the same comments again and again.

Last edited by LaetiBlabla on 10 May 2018, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.