Would you wear Aspie clothing in public...

Page 6 of 7 [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

SpiderMonkey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Sep 2005, 7:21 am

I don't think its a good idea to advertise it to NTs. We get enough hate as it is.

Mark
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Sep 2005, 8:17 am

SpiderMonkey wrote:
I don't think its a good idea to advertise it to NTs. We get enough hate as it is.

There will always be some people that react like that. But I think a lot of people only react in a difficult way because they do not understand, and they expect AS folk to behave in the way that NTs do. Changing that expectation though awareness ultimately makes it easier for everyone.

Being free to be yourself and make the most of your strengths is possibly the most important freedom that there is. Awareness helps make that possible.

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2006, 3:55 pm

I would not wear a shirt like that because a lot of people don't know what AS is, and I worry that if I wear a shirt mentioning AS then I would be considered a freak (I'm not meaning to insult any of you if that's what you were thinking). I heard about this group of people in an AS pride group in Cambridge who wear shirts sayng "Asperger's and proud of it". I'm not exactly sure though.

Steve_Cory
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2006, 6:02 pm

I may consider wearing an Aspie shirt... but only if I was visiting a large city. By no means would I walk around a small town wearing it. That is just asking for trouble.

post-ante
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2006, 9:52 pm

Give it to me now!

grayson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jan 2006, 3:57 am

I would also enjoy wearing "inside" apparel -- things other Aspies would get, but the general world wouldn't. This is primarily because I would loathe having to explain to people what Asperger's is and why I'm wearing a T-shirt about it.

I have only told my husband and one friend about my AS, and have no desire or plans to tell other people in my life (for the usual reasons; they wouldn't get it, they would start looking at me strangely, etc etc etc). That said, it's fine with me if they stumble across the information in a "third party" sort of way -- by reading my posts on WP, for example.

Thus my reason to avoid wearing clear autism / Asperger's references isn't that I don't want to be identified as such; I just don't want to have to explain it to people who have no idea what it is. I figure anyone who stumbles across the information themselves and then comes to me about it is already semi-informed and relatively positive.

wayward
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Jan 2006, 3:53 pm

I like the "Stim Team" one, but wish it was possible to get those shirts without the back print about autism.

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

11 Jan 2006, 10:30 pm

ashkelon wrote:
Tekneek wrote:
Not that I had many problems with jerks trying to single me out in school, luckily. By the time some did try it with me, I had a 'death stare' working that made them shy away from it. It made them find me to be unpredictable, and oddly enough a little intimidating, so they backed off and nobody gave me any nonsense after that.

Yup. Works great, especially when you growl, too! :twisted:

Wow, I thought I was the only kid that growled at other people when I was annoyed. I caught a lot of flak from my parents for that, but there's no denying it's effective (especially if you teach the other brats that growling means you're about five seconds from getting two inches of skin off your arm).

parts
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2006, 9:06 pm

maybe I would

itfits
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jul 2006, 9:53 pm

I do not think that I could wear any WP shirts outside I am considered odd enough as is in the same clothes that NTs wear. I however would love to own a WP tee for around the house and maybe maybe a WP coffee cup, If there was just a symbol small unobtrusive I would wear it I do not have to explain everything to everyone who asks after all.
I will be buying WP stuff soon

pepsiprincessBC
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jul 2006, 12:43 am

sure would i have nothing to hide and want to bring awareness

my mind is like a hamster wheel

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2006, 1:22 am

Serissa wrote:
Malcolm_Scipo wrote:
I would like a shirt saying:
I AM NOT WIERD! I WAS BORN THIS WAY. WHAT IS YOUR EXCUSE?

:lol:

Or, "I'm wired to be weird- what's your excuse?"

((I'm a little fixated on wordplay))

Those would make great bumper stickers. :lol: :twisted:

I really like the WP wall clock and the "I was a geek before geekiness was cool" t-shirt, now I'd wear that shirt.

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2006, 1:26 am

earthmonkey wrote:
When I was about four or five, and I was in public where my 9-year-old sister was crawling underneath chairs, my mom said she was very embarrassed, and I said, "No, Mommy. We can't embarrass you; you can only embarrass yourself."

That reminds me of Eleanor Roosevelt's famous quote: "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent."

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2006, 9:08 am

I hadn't heard about those shirts and clothing till now. I need to get one of those. Showing it in public I think I'll like it.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2006, 5:13 pm

I like
"Autism
It's not like you think."
I think we really need to get that message out there more.
I really like
"Don't Start with me, You KNOW how I GET!"
My co-workers would appreciate that one.
And the "Aspie Rules" are really great!

- Emerson

EventingRoze
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jul 2006, 5:30 pm

Just a thought, but .. shouldn't they be tagless?