New Aspie-quiz version with SPQ-A subtest

Page 6 of 8 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

psychotic
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Sep 2007, 11:18 am

rdos wrote:
What I object most to in the SPQ-A test is probably the pathologization of psychic / paranormal beliefs. This forms an entire group in the test. Several other groups in the test are typical ASD-traits (which people without the social issues of ASD simply shouldn't have). These forms at least half of the scoring. The other half of the questions just seems pretty weird, and most have 0 in Aspie / NT score correlation.

So, what is actually StPD diagnosed based on? ASD traits relating to communication / social differences? Psychic / paranormal beliefs or somerthing else?

I think what you are seeing is simply how schizophrenia and autism overlap.

StPD has nothing to do with ASD. It has to do with schizophrenia and can kind of be thought of as a "Schizophrenia Spectrum Disorder". Autism and schizophrenia share things in common which sometimes leads to them getting confused and so can their milder cousins. The root of the two things are also different. One of them is something that your born with and the other is something you aren't, except that if your family history has schizophenia and/or schizotypal PD, then you are much more likely to get it.

tygereyes
Raven
Raven

09 Sep 2007, 11:22 am

Question for psychotic:

Are you saying you have a diagnosis of SPD? If so, how do you see they define mystical thinking and the like when discussing it with you(they being mental health professionals)?

I would like to know what actual psychosis is like in these areas, as that seems to be a defining factor looking at all the scores in this thread.

The wording on the test was such that if one had one seemingly paranormal experience, an honest person had no choice but to mark yes. But, that doesnt mean that person believes in all paranormal experiences, or sees them from a supposedly psychotic viewpoint when they happen.

There is much work to be done in the areas of dx in the mental health arena. We will be better off when all are seen for the chemical imbalances they are, addressed as specifics, and disorders thrown out and imbalances addressed from a more scientific standpoint.
This current trend of allowing anyone to prescribe any pills that are for chemical imbalances in the brain, and approving anything that seems to work, until people die, will only stop when we have effective means of understanding what actually happens in the brains and bodies of people with all psychiatric disorders.

tygereyes

tygereyes
Raven
Raven

09 Sep 2007, 11:35 am

Question for rdos:

Am i correctly gleaning that you are running the aspie quiz?

I would love to read about your findings thus far, and have to thank you, if you are responsible in some way, for giveing of yourself so much that you are tweaking to find the best way for a diagnosis.

I may never get a diagnosis, because of the misunderstandings of how adults with ASD's present themselves. I"m 45, married sixteen years, recovered alcohol and drug addict, good kids, one with autism....they never see me....they see my accomplishments from my coping skills. Once a month it would take a skilled diagnostician months to see what they need to see, unless i hand them the evidence i gather.

As a child my mystical beliefs were different than they are now. I only believe what i know to be true, and am open to others opinions, though they may not change mine. But, i think i know the difference between real and not real psychic phenomena. Wouldnt that be the real determining factor? Cant you prove not real in a delusional person? And i mean seriously deslusional, because we all suffer from delusion.

TIA,
tygereyes

psychotic
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Sep 2007, 11:59 am

I've not been diagnosed with StPD, but the label seems to fit me much better than that of Asperger's (On the latest test, my SPQ score was HIGHER than my aspie score, even though it was only out of 72 and the aspie one was out of 200). I haven't talked to anyone yet for reasons discussed here:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... ic&t=43133

The only thing I lack is the "magical thinking", but from what I've seen that usually starts happening more at a later age.

tygereyes
Raven
Raven

09 Sep 2007, 12:17 pm

Psychotic, thank you so much for giving me that link. I am so sorry that you are so afraid. But, i think you are doing well to seek answers on your own(as long as you are not in danger, of course). But, i will say our thinking is very different.

I see believing that the government is watching is magical thinking. For some, lol. Some of us know they have the ability, they are watching, and we are certainly not delusional to think this. They know everything about us.

But, i do understand your line.....because as a kid, i was much more prone to those ideas, if they were fed to me. But, i learned what was real and not in my own mind, and moved on to a more rational way of thinking i suppose.

I do think what you describe may be what they are looking to find with the criteria for SPD. But, i wouldnt want to say for sure without observing you, and dont want to do that, so please dont take what i say to mean anything, except that i think i see something i was looking for in your post to show me the differences.

I am more worried about the SPD test having just yes or no questions than ever, though.

I hope you get your answers soon. I have ways i use to reduce anxiety if you need to talk. I wish you so much good, psychotic.

tygereyes

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2007, 1:25 pm

psychotic wrote:
I've not been diagnosed with StPD, but the label seems to fit me much better than that of Asperger's (On the latest test, my SPQ score was HIGHER than my aspie score, even though it was only out of 72 and the aspie one was out of 200). I haven't talked to anyone yet for reasons discussed here:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... ic&t=43133

The only thing I lack is the "magical thinking", but from what I've seen that usually starts happening more at a later age.

OK, the other thread enlightened me a lot. These symptoms does not really look a lot like ASDs. However, if there is really such a thing as SPD, with symptoms like the one's you describe, why do they create these kind of misleading questionnaries?

About the only thing in the SPQ-A test that seemed to have relevance (outside of the ASD domain) was paranoia and alike. If this is the main symptom, which would make it quite different from ASDs, I see no reason to ask questions that are related to ASDs (perhaps only secondary symptoms, but anyway). I guess that is a problem with using too much of secondary symptoms.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2007, 1:35 pm

tygereyes wrote:
Question for rdos:

Am i correctly gleaning that you are running the aspie quiz?

I am. Right now I'm the only one running Aspie-quiz.

tygereyes wrote:
I would love to read about your findings thus far, and have to thank you, if you are responsible in some way, for giveing of yourself so much that you are tweaking to find the best way for a diagnosis.

I'm not too concerned about DSM or diagnosis, but I am very concerned about having many different labels that all seems to boil down to the same thing. The Aspie-quiz has evolved into a neurodiversity-test, which is why I have become increasingly interested in possible neurodiversity conditions. I will also "borrow" 5-10 questions from the SPQ-A for the next Aspie-quiz which have shown relevance & uniqueness. I will eventually provide an report comparing scores between Aspie-quiz and SPQ-A, but I need a larger sample first. This will probably be out in about or month or so. In the mean time, preliminary results are already on the web (main page: http://www.rdos.net/eng/aspeval, search for SPQ or visit some of the version S3 reports)

tygereyes wrote:
As a child my mystical beliefs were different than they are now. I only believe what i know to be true, and am open to others opinions, though they may not change mine. But, i think i know the difference between real and not real psychic phenomena. Wouldnt that be the real determining factor? Cant you prove not real in a delusional person? And i mean seriously deslusional, because we all suffer from delusion.

The reason I have so much to say about mystical beliefs is that I'm actually proud to be slightly psychic. I become really mad when people want to interpret this as an disorder.

psychotic
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Sep 2007, 1:39 pm

Well, the purpose of the SPQ test is to differentiate StPD from NT, not StPD from AS. For your test though, it WOULD make sense being "Aspie-quiz" that it would differentiate between both StPD and AS, NT and AS, as well as StPD from NT for completeness's sake.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2007, 1:45 pm

psychotic wrote:
StPD has nothing to do with ASD. It has to do with schizophrenia and can kind of be thought of as a "Schizophrenia Spectrum Disorder". Autism and schizophrenia share things in common which sometimes leads to them getting confused and so can their milder cousins. The root of the two things are also different. One of them is something that your born with and the other is something you aren't, except that if your family history has schizophenia and/or schizotypal PD, then you are much more likely to get it.

I think you are mistaken here. I've had people indicate schizophrenia in several versions of Aspie-quiz, and there is a pretty high correlation between having schizophrenia and high Aspie-score. Look here: http://www.rdos.net/eng/aspeval/pcacorr.htm (search for schizophrenia, disregard version S3 as it has a too small sample). Correlations range between 0.80 and 0.88.

What I think is that schizophrenia is to schizotypcal similar to what LFA is to ASDs. Those represent extreme conditions that are much rarer than the less affected manifestations. These less extreme conditions have a huge overlap (schizotypal and AS).

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2007, 1:57 pm

psychotic wrote:
Well, the purpose of the SPQ test is to differentiate StPD from NT, not StPD from AS. For your test though, it WOULD make sense being "Aspie-quiz" that it would differentiate between both StPD and AS, NT and AS, as well as StPD from NT for completeness's sake.

You are of course correct, and I would probably differentiate every neurodiversity-condition. That is, if it was possible with any objective method (not counting using DSM criteria directly). It is not possible, because all the social-interpersonal problems in the SPQ-test have high relevance for ASDs.

Looking at published factor-analysis on SPQ doesn't give much hope either. Their main factors are obviously the same as the social / communicative domain in ASDs.

Besides, I already posted the results of factor-analysis of Aspie-quiz here a while ago. None of these factors seemed to be directly related to DSM.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2007, 4:12 am

Current correlations between Aspie-quiz and SPQ-A:

http://www.rdos.net/eng/aspeval/spq.htm

I think correlations will rise slightly with more answers, but this should be a good indicator.

I'm not sure if this works, but here is graphical presentation:

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Sep 2007, 3:41 am

Okay, I got a result that I haven't seen anyone else get...

Your Aspie score: 115 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 95 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits
Main SPQ-score: 41 of 74

Sub-scores:
Ideas of reference 6 of 9
Excessive social anxiety 4 of 8
Odd beliefs or magical thinking 5 of 7
Unusual perceptual experiences 4 of 9
Odd or eccentric behavior 6 of 7
No close friends 5 of 9
Odd speech 6 of 9
Constricted affect 1 of 8
Suspiciousness 4 of 8

Okay... So... I'm both? Is this just a way of saying "the cards are unclear" or am I borderline between the two or am I both? Can you be both? Aren't you just one or the other?

The questions were a bit vague and difficult to answer, like it's "yes in this situation, but no in that situation" or it's "well it used to be very much like that but not for a while now".

I think all these sort of punch card type tests are difficult to apply to the complexities of the human spirit. It's a bit like in Donnie Darko, with the Cunning Visions ideology of putting every action somewhere on a line between Love and Fear.

Also, on the second test, "Odd beliefs or magical thinking" why not just call everyone who believes in a world beyond the physical or in natural phenomena that is currently unexplained "crazy"?

-EDIT- Sorry, that last line reads more indignant than it was intended. Here is a smiley to lessen my appearance of outrage.

:wink:

RB
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Sep 2007, 8:19 am

Your Aspie score: 157 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 34 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

I'm suprised I thought I was answering very NT like for some of those, still debating getting diagnosed since I think I'm semi-ok in terms of friendships etc.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2007, 4:21 pm

Your Aspie score: 172 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 35 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Main SPQ-score: 45 of 74

Sub-scores:
Ideas of reference 8 of 9
Excessive social anxiety 6 of 8
Odd beliefs or magical thinking 1 of 7