Page 6 of 12 [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 1:40 pm

Quote:
Remind me again why there is a Math & Science forum on WP?

Perhaps for the same reason there is an Arts, Writing and Music forum.

LaFeeSanguine
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Oct 2008, 2:18 pm

I'm an Asperger's/NVLD person with severe dyscalculia.

So to say that I'm not good at Math is an understatement.

I can't even count very well half the time. :P

I'm more of a philosophy and critical & analytical thinking-type person.

It seems that I've heard that the stereotype of Aspies having a propensity for mathematical reasoning is supposed to come from the belief in some sort of "innate" Aspergian love of patterns and sequences.

I definitely love patterns and finding sequences. I follow the stereotype in that regard.
I'm just infinitely better at finding patterns in ideas, thought systems, and music than in numbers or visual media. :)

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 2:40 pm

I find maths gripping but I am not that good at it, probably average.

Its right or wrong, not like say handing in an essay where marks can vary depending on who marks your work.

daysleeper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Oct 2008, 2:42 pm

TheNathan wrote:
I was curious as to how many of you feel about the "math wiz" stereotype associated with Asperger's syndrome, as according to my research and personal observations it appears to largely be a myth. There are individuals with Asperger's that are very good at math, no doubt about that, but being good at math certainly does not preclude having Asperger's and is most definitely not part of the diagnostic criteria. I strongly suspect I have it, for instance, and I am very much mediocre at math (though I'm eerily good at estimation and guessing people's ages) as my real skill is writing, particularly writing skills associated with analytical thought.

Definitely not a math whiz here, but I'll remember your car license plate sooner than your face. Creepy?

Mosse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2008, 4:16 pm

TheNathan wrote:
I was curious as to how many of you feel about the "math wiz" stereotype associated with Asperger's syndrome, as according to my research and personal observations it appears to largely be a myth. There are individuals with Asperger's that are very good at math, no doubt about that, but being good at math certainly does not preclude having Asperger's and is most definitely not part of the diagnostic criteria. I strongly suspect I have it, for instance, and I am very much mediocre at math (though I'm eerily good at estimation and guessing people's ages) as my real skill is writing, particularly writing skills associated with analytical thought.

There was a stereotype associating AS with math? I thought it was associated with constant bloggers and posting videos on Youtube complaining about something no one cares about. :?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 5:09 pm

I am very intelligent, but I suck at calculus.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 6:01 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I am very intelligent, but I suck at calculus.

Don't feel too bad about that. Most people suck at calculus.

ReedWalters
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Apr 2009, 10:22 pm

My 7-year old son has just finished grade 6 math and now is onto grade 7 math. He remembers all the grades k-6 concepts and he has yet to have any diffulcity in understanding any concept. In general, most of those portions of communication that should be going through the intuitive portion of his brain seem to be funneled through the intellectual portion of his brain. The hard is easy for him and the easy is hard for him. Simple social play with other kids baffles him and leave him in tears. I've shown him some calculus problems, showed him how to solve them, then asked him to solve them a few days later. He did. He cannot remember the names of the kids in his class, even though he sees them every day. "What's your name again?" is something he asks often.

Kasek
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Apr 2009, 10:32 pm

I forget anything more advanced than algebra veeeeery quickly, but I apparently pick up concepts quickly and I can do math faster than people with calculators even when I'm barely semi-conscious.

~Kasek

Linasgirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Apr 2009, 10:42 pm

I believe it is a myth, but I might be one of the people that is helping to perpetuate it :)

My psych profile states that my math ability is "beyond known measurement parameters." AND I DO NOT REALLY LIKE MATH THAT MUCH. Well . . . except for theoretical physics and logic.

Nena

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 10:45 pm

I'm horrible at math.
I have a year 7 math revision book but I keep forgetting things.
I think I'm the kind of person that will only learn things if I will use them, or I find them interesting.
Math is so boring too.

twix93
Raven
Raven

27 Apr 2009, 10:43 am

Maths is my best subject at school, I find it too easy.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 10:59 am

I think that being good at abstract mathematics correlates to Asperger's Syndrome just about as well as being Neurotypical correlates to Aspeger's Syndrome which is to say, not at all. Some people are good at math and some others are not regardless of whether they are NTs or Aspies.

ruveyn

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 2:23 pm

I used to be decent at maths when it was easy but when it got to all the algebra and all that pointless stuff I was crap. I passed my GCSE early and I don't know how I managed such a miracle.

Master_Shake
Toucan
Toucan

27 Apr 2009, 2:47 pm

I maxed out on the WISC-III arithmetic test, got every question correct. I have the abstract thinking capacity needed to understand difficult mathematical concepts, but don't have the organizational ability to do higher level maths well. I am not very good at algebra because it requires organization and working memory. I doubt I could do much calculus.

In 10th grade I was the number one student in my geometry class (for the first quarter, then I got sick for 2 weeks and never made up my homework). Geometry is just visual reasoning.

robo37
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 3:03 pm

I got the second highest math's grade in my school, and the only other aspie in it got the third highest.