Page 6 of 38 [ 604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 38  Next

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 11:37 am

...You listen to the same songs, watch the same films and obsess with DeLoreans and memorising pi all day :P

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 12:05 pm

You know you're autistic when you are the only one who actually knows what you're saying.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 12:48 pm

Hovis wrote:
sethzack wrote:
Fautzo wrote:
garyww wrote:
You know you're autistic if............:
http://www.geocities.com/autistry/YMBAAI.html

I gotta show this to my mom, I tried to explain about aspie crap and she's always like,"NO, IT'S NOT!!" so yea.

I think you should think about that, I showed my mom and she kept saying, "That is a normal thing."

Does it confuse you as well when people have been repeatedly telling you how weird you are, and how everything you do is abnormal and wrong, yet when you suggest that there may be a neurological reason and that behavioral trait A or B is common in people on the spectrum, the response is, "Oh, everyone does that."?

1. I am strange because I engage in this behavior.

2. The behavior I engage in is perfectly normal and everyone does it.

The two statements are contradictory, aren't they?

Yes, I hate when that happens!! ! I don´t get it either. That´s exactly how my parents have been reacting to me. Very contradictory....(illogical humans- sometimes I just don´t seem to understand it....sigh)

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 12:56 pm

Abstract_Logic wrote:
You know you're autistic when you are the only one who actually knows what you're saying.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Like that one!

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 1:13 pm

Hovis, all my life my mother accused me of being selfish and mean (because I was clueless at what humans expected from me). Yet when at 18 I started working and earning my own money and told her I'd use the money to go to therapy for my selfishness and meanness, she said that was utter nonsense.

14 Jan 2009, 1:37 pm

Morgana wrote:
Hovis wrote:
sethzack wrote:
Fautzo wrote:
garyww wrote:

I gotta show this to my mom, I tried to explain about aspie crap and she's always like,"NO, IT'S NOT!!" so yea.

I think you should think about that, I showed my mom and she kept saying, "That is a normal thing."

Does it confuse you as well when people have been repeatedly telling you how weird you are, and how everything you do is abnormal and wrong, yet when you suggest that there may be a neurological reason and that behavioral trait A or B is common in people on the spectrum, the response is, "Oh, everyone does that."?

Yes, I hate when that happens!! ! I don´t get it either. That´s exactly how my parents have been reacting to me. Very contradictory....(illogical humans- sometimes I just don´t seem to understand it....sigh)

Maybe it's because there is nothing wrong with us and we are normal. I don't mean NT. What is normal anyway?

So why do we need to be the only one with these problems and no one else? It's like we all want to be special. :x

Even I get told the same thing. It means they don't see me as inferior and they see me as me, human. That's how my parents have always viewed me. They saw me as me despite being different and knowing I had something.

Heck I've seen none aspies doing autistic things. Either they were having a moment or they have that trait.

Maditude
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 1:54 pm

As a kid, I wondered why anybody would build a gate out of water. I was pondering this during the Watergate break-in scandal in the 1970s. :oops:

"Vortex of Freedom" Radio Show
Saturdays 6PM Eastern - 5PM Central
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maditude

sethzack
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 1:58 pm

Hovis wrote:
sethzack wrote:
Fautzo wrote:
garyww wrote:

Ha ha, well she says that to encourage me that I am not so different from everyone else but most of the time I don't even act like myself around her.

I Want To Become Stronger...
... Than I Was Yesterday!! !! - The words in my avatar picture.

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 2:17 pm

Morgana wrote:
Hovis wrote:

Greentea wrote:
Hovis, all my life my mother accused me of being selfish and mean (because I was clueless at what humans expected from me). Yet when at 18 I started working and earning my own money and told her I'd use the money to go to therapy for my selfishness and meanness, she said that was utter nonsense.

It sounds very pessimistic - and perhaps unduly bitter towards NT people - but the only solution I've been able to come up with for the apparent contradiction is that they do see us as strange and our behavior as wrong, but that they want to cling to the belief that we're perfectly capable of being 'normal' if we try hard enough, we bring all our problems on ourselves, and the poor reaction of other people to us is simply our own fault. Essentially, guilt, for want of a better word. Nobody wants to think about the possibility that they've been giving somebody a hard time who can't help the way they are.

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 2:27 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Maybe it's because there is nothing wrong with us and we are normal. I don't mean NT. What is normal anyway?

So why do we need to be the only one with these problems and no one else? It's like we all want to be special. :x

I agree - it's the contradictory statements that are confusing. One second being assured that we're 'weird' and 'not normal' for behaving as we do, but when we suggest a possible reason for it, being suddenly told that, "All those traits listed there - they're perfectly normal; everyone does that!"

14 Jan 2009, 2:50 pm

Someone keeps telling you every aspie trait you have everybody does it so you say "No wonder people think Aspergers is made up" or "What's the point in Aspergers if everyone does it?"

People blame things you do on your AS despite other people doing it too.

notbrianna
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jan 2009, 2:54 pm

...You're glad that you started learning sign language because now you have an excuse tostim in public ("I'm not stimming I'm practicing.").

sethzack
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 2:55 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Someone keeps telling you every aspie trait you have everybody does it so you say "No wonder people think Aspergers is made up" or "What's the point in Aspergers if everyone does it?"

My mom says I blame everything on my AS, quite a strange story with her.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 3:06 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:

Even I get told the same thing. It means they don't see me as inferior and they see me as me, human. That's how my parents have always viewed me. They saw me as me despite being different and knowing I had something.

In my case, it´s a little different. I don´t think my parents know the real me; that´s my impression, anyway. When I was younger, I was acutely aware that I was "different" in some way, and my parents made it clear that I had some strangenesses, to say the least. I think I learned how to hide some of these things, as they were looked down upon, and I did do some acting around my parents- maybe that was not a good thing.

In other ways, they know me so well and are used to me enough that they don´t even notice some of the AS traits, as I was always like that and they don´t think anything of it. In any case, all my life they told me I was "weird", but now that I told them that I believe I am on the spectrum, they´ve decided that I´m "normal" after all. I think they just don´t want to admit that they have an autistic daughter....

sethzack
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 3:39 pm

Morgana wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:

In my case, it´s a little different. I don´t think my parents know the real me; that´s my impression, anyway. When I was younger, I was acutely aware that I was "different" in some way, and my parents made it clear that I had some strangenesses, to say the least. I think I learned how to hide some of these things, as they were looked down upon, and I did do some acting around my parents- maybe that was not a good thing.

In other ways, they know me so well and are used to me enough that they don´t even notice some of the AS traits, as I was always like that and they don´t think anything of it. In any case, all my life they told me I was "weird", but now that I told them that I believe I am on the spectrum, they´ve decided that I´m "normal" after all. I think they just don´t want to admit that they have an autistic daughter....

Now that is more like my story.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2009, 3:46 pm

sethzack wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:

My mom says I blame everything on my AS, quite a strange story with her.

My step mom just wants the best for me, and doesn't know what to do exactly to help me get there, but always seems to do the right thing. My grandmother doesn't believe there is anything different between me and the NT next to me. She sees how I am different and then blames my upbringing for it. Truth is that my parents did the absolute most they possibly could to help me advance through life.