List one NT thing you do not understand.

Page 51 of 65 [ 1025 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 65  Next

quesonrias
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2011, 7:55 am

Verdandi wrote:
These are all related:

When I am trying to talk through a concept or problem with an NT, why do they seem to think I want supportive affirmations? Why do such affirmations tend to involve telling me that I did not see, hear, or experience what I saw, heard, or experienced?

Why, when I mention Asperger's Syndrome or autism to NTs, do they constantly bring up this one 10-12 year old autistic or AS child they once knew and try to tell me how I'm different from that child and thus not autistic (or not autistic enough)? I'm 30 years older than that child, and odds are good I was not identical to that child at the same age.

Why do NTs assume I see an AS diagnosis as a bad thing?

I've had this problem a lot lately. In talking to others about the possibility that I might have Asperger's, I constantly receive "positive affirmations," such as:
"We are all different/unique." My response should be, "And you cataloged the different backstamps and body shapes of Haviland china or researched the feldspar content of Limoges china to better understand it's translucent properties too???"
"I just don't see you as having Asperger's, you're too...(confident, friendly, outgoing)" LMAO!! !! I want to say, "Yeah, it's called FAKING IT!! !"
"There's nothing wrong with you." (which I HATE btw, because I know there is nothing wrong with me, or any person who has Asperger's)

Finally, I want to ask those people, "Do you realize that, instead of listening to what you are talking about right now, I am actually trying to figure out how I can end my conversation with you, so I can get back to hiding in a corner somewhere doing web/graphic design on my computer???"

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
RAADS-R: 187.0
Language: 15.0 • Social Relatedness: 81.0 • Sensory/Motor: 52.0 • Circumscribed Interests: 40.0

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 165 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 9:00 am

If a woman dresses mascaline it's OK, but if a man dresses femanine, they're ''poofs''.

woodss82
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 9:30 am

Joe90 wrote:
If a woman dresses mascaline it's OK, but if a man dresses femanine, they're ''poofs''.

lol lol

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 5:07 am

Riding around on bicycles with a helmet hanging from the handlebars.

I remember this trend.
Maybe one person decided that wearing a safety helmet was not "cool".
Soon everyone was doing it: they'd all cycle along with the wind racing through their hair.
As they rode, the safety helmets would swing uselessly from the handlebars like bizarre, metallically coloured polystyrene pendulums.

Perhaps they'd all rather have got concussion without those cumbersome safety devices on their heads.

Perhaps they were all thinking: "I shouldn't be seen dead wearing this!"

Which was odd, given the fact that they probably bought the helments with their own hard earned cash. Oddly, some adults seem to buy helmets and display them as fashion accessories by not wearing them. Maybe it's a copy-cat fashion statement thing.

I notice that this trend was more popular with kids and teens.
Maybe they were each given a cycle helmet as a present by well meaning relatives.
Perhaps not wearing their helmets was an act of youthful defiance?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 Jan 2011, 5:55 am

quesonrias wrote:
I've had this problem a lot lately. In talking to others about the possibility that I might have Asperger's, I constantly receive "positive affirmations," such as:
"We are all different/unique." My response should be, "And you cataloged the different backstamps and body shapes of Haviland china or researched the feldspar content of Limoges china to better understand it's translucent properties too???"
"I just don't see you as having Asperger's, you're too...(confident, friendly, outgoing)" LMAO!! !! I want to say, "Yeah, it's called FAKING IT!! !"
"There's nothing wrong with you." (which I HATE btw, because I know there is nothing wrong with me, or any person who has Asperger's)

Finally, I want to ask those people, "Do you realize that, instead of listening to what you are talking about right now, I am actually trying to figure out how I can end my conversation with you, so I can get back to hiding in a corner somewhere doing web/graphic design on my computer???"

Yeah, none of them really want to hear my exhaustive list of reasons as to why I am convinced that I am autistic at this point. They just want to tell me why they believe I am not and convince me to go along with their snap judgments.

quesonrias
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2011, 8:19 am

Verdandi wrote:
quesonrias wrote:

Yeah, none of them really want to hear my exhaustive list of reasons as to why I am convinced that I am autistic at this point. They just want to tell me why they believe I am not and convince me to go along with their snap judgments.

Seems to be a common theme. I wish people were more open-minded to the possibility that sometimes things are just different, and that it's OK. Even had someone this week lecture me on how to take a psychological evaluation - be honest, tell how you really feel, blah, blah, blah. Then they went into the fact that people can develop psychosomatic symptoms and report symptoms they don't actually have. I wanted to just tell them, "Thank you for insulting my intelligence (yet again) by presuming that I know nothing of this topic and proceeding to lecture me on it." but I was nice and just said "Yeah, I know."

Another thing I dont understand:
Why NT's rarely assess your actual capabilities, rather thinking solely about their own - regularly assuming that you have absolutely no knowledge of any subject upon which they believe themselves to be "experts," and how they then proceed to educate you based on the assumption that you are completely ignorant of the subject or too dull to understand it on your own.

Language: 15.0 • Social Relatedness: 81.0 • Sensory/Motor: 52.0 • Circumscribed Interests: 40.0

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

08 Jan 2011, 8:37 am

AmberEyes wrote:
safety helmets would swing uselessly from the handlebars like bizarre, metallically coloured polystyrene pendulums.

:lol: Beautiful. That's almost musical!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 9:57 am

Ultra sensitivity on matters of self-esteem. The NTs seem pretty touchy about that.

ruveyn

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 11:10 am

zweisamkeit wrote:
Why do they feel the need to ask someone 'what is wrong?' or even 'how are you?', even if they don't know you.
Because they want to get to know you. This isn't an NT only thing. I do it as a way to get to know someone or to get close to them. And I genuinely care about how people are feeling.

quesonrias
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2011, 11:24 am

Jonsi wrote:
zweisamkeit wrote:
Why do they feel the need to ask someone 'what is wrong?' or even 'how are you?', even if they don't know you.
Because they want to get to know you. This isn't an NT only thing. I do it as a way to get to know someone or to get close to them. And I genuinely care about how people are feeling.

I generally ask my friends, "How are you?" when I speak to them. I had one tell me the other day, "You always ask me that," to which I answered, "Yes, I do. Because I always want to know, and it is polite to do so."

evilduck
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jan 2011, 5:33 am

I don't get why people are so boring (un-interresting). It's like talking to a dog about about what tricks it can do. If you say "Do you know how to roll over?", they will most likely look a bit lost. Some might focus on those last two words and actually give a response. Further attempts to follow the subject proves futile, of course.
If you however say "Roll over!", they gladly show you and they will be very pleased with them selves for knowing the correct reply.

That's how I feel when talking to normal people. It's so un-rewarding that I'm usually happy if people chose to stay away.
If I want a pet, I'll buy one.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 5:41 am

evilduck wrote:
I don't get why people are so boring (un-interresting). It's like talking to a dog about about what tricks it can do. If you say "Do you know how to roll over?", they will most likely look a bit lost. Some might focus on those last two words and actually give a response. Further attempts to follow the subject proves futile, of course.
If you however say "Roll over!", they gladly show you and they will be very pleased with them selves for knowing the correct reply.

That's how I feel when talking to normal people. It's so un-rewarding that I'm usually happy if people chose to stay away.

It could be that you are uninteresting to them also, or perhaps they don't like some other aspect of you so in either case don't want to talk to you, so therefore to you they appear to be uninteresting? Or you have poor communication skills? Or perhaps you are very intelligent and so find normal people dull due to their lower intellect?

evilduck
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jan 2011, 6:45 am

nostromo wrote:
evilduck wrote:

It could be that you are uninteresting to them also, or perhaps they don't like some other aspect of you so in either case don't want to talk to you, so therefore to you they appear to be uninteresting? Or you have poor communication skills? Or perhaps you are very intelligent and so find normal people dull due to their lower intellect?

Who knows. I would at least be the last person to see and understand how others persieve me. That I will be the first to admit.
I will also admit that I am fully aware of the fact that people would rather not talk to me. This I know too. The "why" for that I can not answer.
I see my communication skills as somewhat two-part. I just can't do chit-chat. I am told that this is, for some reason, important.
On the other hand I can also pick up pretty much any subject and discuss and have opinions about it.

What I have found to work best is to play stupid and/or ignorant, and at the same time interrested. This seem to make people want to talk when done correctly. It sounds a bit cynical (and it may well be so), but with the lesser of two evils in circumstances where I have no stake, I chose the path of least resistance.

I may have my longest list of rules when it comes to conversations.
Take tattoos:
Say someone has a lot of tattoos. They are quite colorful, and consists of many singular and separate images. You can deduct that it has taken a lot of time to gather all of them up as they most likely were not made at the same time. You can then ask how young they were when they had their first tattoo, since that will be a "long" time ago, and will most likely not offend. Make a compliment on the colorfulness of them (since they have many colors) and how diverse they are, yet how they complement each other. Most likely someone with many separate images like that would be going for that kind of effect. From then on it's idle chit-chat about where the tattoo-place is, how expensive tattoos has become, blah blah blah.

I envy those that can do this with not a second thought to it. I suspect most NT's can do that. I can't, and in many cases it probably shows quite easily for an NT.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 3:16 pm

evilduck wrote:
nostromo wrote:
evilduck wrote:

Who knows. I would at least be the last person to see and understand how others persieve me. That I will be the first to admit.
I will also admit that I am fully aware of the fact that people would rather not talk to me. This I know too. The "why" for that I can not answer.
I see my communication skills as somewhat two-part. I just can't do chit-chat. I am told that this is, for some reason, important.
On the other hand I can also pick up pretty much any subject and discuss and have opinions about it.

What I have found to work best is to play stupid and/or ignorant, and at the same time interrested. This seem to make people want to talk when done correctly. It sounds a bit cynical (and it may well be so), but with the lesser of two evils in circumstances where I have no stake, I chose the path of least resistance.

I may have my longest list of rules when it comes to conversations.
Take tattoos:
Say someone has a lot of tattoos. They are quite colorful, and consists of many singular and separate images. You can deduct that it has taken a lot of time to gather all of them up as they most likely were not made at the same time. You can then ask how young they were when they had their first tattoo, since that will be a "long" time ago, and will most likely not offend. Make a compliment on the colorfulness of them (since they have many colors) and how diverse they are, yet how they complement each other. Most likely someone with many separate images like that would be going for that kind of effect. From then on it's idle chit-chat about where the tattoo-place is, how expensive tattoos has become, blah blah blah.

I envy those that can do this with not a second thought to it. I suspect most NT's can do that. I can't, and in many cases it probably shows quite easily for an NT.

Maybe so, but then not being able to do that easily also no doubt confers some advantage or strength to you, perhaps in ways that are not immediately obvious.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 4:03 pm

quesonrias wrote:
Jonsi wrote:
zweisamkeit wrote:

I generally ask my friends, "How are you?" when I speak to them. I had one tell me the other day, "You always ask me that," to which I answered, "Yes, I do. Because I always want to know, and it is polite to do so."

Lately, I've decided to interpret the question:

"How are you?" as
"Are you still alive? Are you still breathing?"

I answer "[I'm breathing] fine thank you."

And omIt the words in the brackets. I say the words in the brackets silently in my head.

Even though I feel lonely and depressed, it could be a billion times worse: I could be dead for example.

I suppose anything other than being dead is a bonus.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 10:06 am

Phrases such as:

"Empowering people."

"Empowering women."

"Empowering victims."

"Empowering individuals with [insert condition here]."

What does empower mean?

Does it mean charging them up with power like a mobile cellphone?
If it is about powering people up, then who drained their power and why?
If people don't have a little battery icon, then how do they know they are "powerless" or do other people just tell them that they are?

I am confused by the word "empower".
Does it mean giving people money or advice?
I think that helping people to help themselves is a good idea, but does this really give people more power?

Perhaps the idea of empowerment makes people feel more confident about themselves and less insignificant. Perhaps people like to pretend they are powerful, when in reality everyone is essentially powerless.

The word empower is one that I wouldn't normally use.
It seems a strange concept to me.
I just get on with stuff as best I can.
That's it.
Perhaps I should leave all of the pondering about whether I'm empowered or not to other people.