Fictional Characters With Undiagnosed Aspergers or Autism

Page 51 of 60 [ 959 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 60  Next

Doom1991
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jun 2015, 9:47 pm

Both L Lawliet and Near from Death Note are based off people with Asperger's.

TheTigress
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jun 2015, 11:55 pm

Elliott from the newer Flight of the Phoenix movie.

LadyLuna
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jun 2015, 8:58 am

The anime/manga Hagani, I don't have many friends.

Possibly the entire cast.

All of them have really poor social skills. Most have strong special interests. Some of them very strange special interests.

Two of them have big problems with crowds. Not just disliking crowds, but really traumatized by the experience.

Rika probably has the strongest symptoms. She is a high school student who is given the special accommodation of getting to spend the whole day studying in classroom by herself.

It is a comedy, but I people's problems are also often portrayed with sympathy.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2015, 1:26 pm

Lily Montgomery recurring diagnosed teenage character during the 2000's on American soap opera "All My Children"
http://www.chron.com/entertainment/article/Houston-teen-has-recurring-role-on-All-My-1557197.php

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2015, 11:52 pm

voleregard wrote:
Scotia wrote:
The Imitation Game movie, with Benedict Cumberbacht starring. Based on Alan Turing's biography.

Just for the sake of clarity, the Turing in the movie is portrayed with autistic characteristics. However, the film takes liberties and the real Turing was different from the film's portrayal, being described, among other things, as "a man with a keen sense of humor and close friends." http://tinyurl.com/kz6gzwo

Quote:
The film strongly implies that Alan is somewhere on the autism spectrum: Cumberbatch’s character doesn’t understand jokes, takes common expressions literally, and seems indifferent to the suffering and annoyance he causes in others. This characterization is rooted in Hodge’s biography but is also largely exaggerated: Hodges never suggests that Turing was autistic, and though he refers to Turing’s tendency to take contracts and other bureaucratic red tape literally, he also describes Turing as a man with a keen sense of humor and close friends. To be sure, Hodges paints Turing as shy, eccentric, and impatient with irrationality, but Cumberbatch’s narcissistic, detached Alan has more in common with the actor’s title character in Sherlock than with the Turing of Hodges’ biography. One of Turing’s colleagues at Bletchley Park later recalled him as “a very easily approachable man” and said “we were very very fond of him”; none of this is reflected in the film.

Made for a compelling film, but unfortunately not true to life. So the real Turing, probably not autistic; and fitting for this thread, the fictional Turing likely is.

Not necessarily; I read one of Turing's biographies, written by his mother. In describing his childhood and adolescence, he sounds extremely aspie. She talked about how he got upset when his nanny let him win at games, how he stopped and read every string of numbers he came across, how his language was extremely precocious for a small child (upon leaving for a trip when he was three, his mother asked if he would be good, and he replied, "Yes, but sometimes I shall forget."), and his various obsessions with maps, science, and math. He was one of those socially oblivious young aspies who would walk up to strangers and start randomly conversing with them, which is probably how, despite his awkwardness, he wound up with so many friends. I would definitely say that the movie was more accurate than it seems; from what I've read, Alan Turing was definitely a candidate for an AS diagnosis.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

WednesdayWoe1
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Jun 2015, 1:16 am

There was a character in one episode of Miss Fisher I'm almost certain was meant to be autistic/have Asperger's (but as it's set in the '20s they couldn't have diagnosed her in the show). She was very textbook/stereotypical. I thought it was interesting it was a female character in this case. If anyone's interested it was episode 8 in series 2.

There was another Australian show called The Code about 2 brothers who get caught up in a government cover up and as soon as they introduced one of the brothers I was like 'well, guess someone read a book on Asperger's, then...'

I did a google search to see if there were any interviews about whether or not the one brother was meant to have Asperger's and found an interview where the creators said something about how he did exhibit some of the characteristics but didn't want to 'label' him (or words to that effect, at any rate). Which is a bit ridiculous when they so obviously, again, lifted many traits straight out of the diagnostic criteria. :roll: It was still a very enjoyable show, though.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2015, 9:13 am

StarTrekker wrote:
Not necessarily; I read one of Turing's biographies, written by his mother. In describing his childhood and adolescence, he sounds extremely aspie. She talked about how he got upset when his nanny let him win at games, how he stopped and read every string of numbers he came across, how his language was extremely precocious for a small child (upon leaving for a trip when he was three, his mother asked if he would be good, and he replied, "Yes, but sometimes I shall forget."), and his various obsessions with maps, science, and math. He was one of those socially oblivious young aspies who would walk up to strangers and start randomly conversing with them, which is probably how, despite his awkwardness, he wound up with so many friends. I would definitely say that the movie was more accurate than it seems; from what I've read, Alan Turing was definitely a candidate for an AS diagnosis.

Agreed. Turing would probably have been an older version of Hans Asperger's "four boys" if they had met.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

GoldTails95
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Jun 2015, 2:24 pm

TheMagnanimousKitten wrote:
Yes, my favorite fictional characters seem like Aspies, let me list :D
Sadness :)
Lilo :D
Agnes! :D
Vanellope von Schweetz
Squishy
Flint Lockwood

Some of my favorite fictional characters are also asked or auties
DeeDee from Dexter's lab is autistic
Ash Ketchum is also an Aspie
And so is Sailor Mercury
Sailor Moon/Usagi herself is an Aspie

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2015, 9:12 pm

QuiversWhiskers wrote:
Lilo?

I think so. Let's face it, she kinda sucks at the whole 'friends' thing and says some strange things without thinking how they sound to others.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2016, 7:14 am

These are all TV-series with a main character I relate with :

Silicon Valley

Mr Robot

House MD

Sherlock

Bones

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2016, 7:14 am

These are all TV-series with a main character I relate with :

Silicon Valley

Mr Robot

House MD

Sherlock

Bones

mitchblood
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jul 2016, 12:55 am

V from V for Vendetta(film) definitely seems as though he could be on the spectrum.

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2016, 3:46 am

A lot of characters given asperger traits are only given the social aspects. You never see the other side such as the weird gait, poor muscle mass, echolalia, poor working memory, bad executive function, or lack of eye contact. (Think Bones, Sheldon, or Will Graham and the latter actually has been confirmed to definetly not have aspergers rather his cognitive empathy is so strong he gets confused plus he has no weird gait or forgetfullness nor a one tract mind or any of the issues)

-Johnnyh

capa
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2016, 4:32 am

Apart from SIlicon Valley and Mr. Robot (which aspiesavant stated):

mitchblood
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Oct 2016, 7:51 am

Also Monk from Monk(tv series)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 8:37 am

R2-D2 comes to my mind. Sid from Flushed Away and Sgt. Schultz also comes to mind.