List one NT thing you do not understand.

Page 55 of 65 [ 1025 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 65  Next

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 6:59 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Yensid wrote:
Why do they ignore instructions, then lie and say that they read them and followed them. If they actually read the instructions and followed them, I wouldn't have to fix their mistakes.

My guess is because they were embarrassed for their mistake and they don't want to admit it. So they think they can try and hide it.

That's probably true. I just don't understand that way of thinking. I know they messed up. They know they messed up. They know that I know that they messed up. Not admitting it doesn't do anything. Admitting it means that we can figure out how to avoid the problem next time.

LibertiORDeth
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Feb 2011, 12:20 am

Julia_the_Great wrote:
1.Giggling after stating the obvious OMG so annoying.

2.Finding "no comment" offensive. I mean, come one, when I say "No comment", I mean I have nothing to say!

3.Finding it cool to not be scared of something.

4.Finding it cool when someone does not express pain when clearly in pain.

I often say "it happens," which to me means the same thing, and I just view it as an acknowledgement of what was said, and an obvious acceptance of such, and am horribly criticized for not responding in a more emotional or radical fashion.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 7:41 am

Yensid wrote:
Why do they ignore instructions, then lie and say that they read them and followed them. If they actually read the instructions and followed them, I wouldn't have to fix their mistakes.

I have done this. It's so embarrassing. Except I wasn't lying. I really did read the instructions. I really did follow them. But when the person goes over the instructions line by line with me, it always turns out that I missed a sentence. When you are following directions, every sentence matters. I eventually noticed a pattern in myself which is that this happens with directions that are written as a wall of text (a surprising number, actually). Now I re-write all wall of text instructions into vertical instructions. Like so;

Flip the left side switch up. Turn dial to left 3 times. Listen for beep and then disengage switch. Turn dial to right 4 times. etc. etc. etc.

I re-write as this:

Flip the left side switch up

Turn dial to left 3 times

Listen for beep and then disengage switch

Turn dial to left 4 times

etc etc etc

Otherwise the other person (you!) will have to repair the damge that comes from failing to disengage the switch after the beep even though I am positive I read the directions.

Of course this helpful re-formatting is only helpful for people who have the exact same problem as me and are willing to go to the bother of reformatting.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 8:09 am

Why they think drinking alcohol is so big, even way through adulthood.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 12:42 pm

Janissy wrote:
I have done this. It's so embarrassing. Except I wasn't lying. I really did read the instructions. I really did follow them. But when the person goes over the instructions line by line with me, it always turns out that I missed a sentence.

I understand that people can misunderstand or miss a line of instructions. That's not what I am talking about. What I am talking about is a lot more blatant. What they do has no relationship to what the instructions tell them to do. The instructions might be simply: "If this happens, do not do anything. Call for help. Do not try to fix it yourself." and what they do is to open something up and tinker with it, and end up breaking something else in the process.

Another example. I told somebody: "Type this in exactly," but for some reason he changed what I had written. It was not a typing error; it was very different from what I wrote down. Yet, he insisted that he typed in exactly what I told him.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 1:03 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Why they think drinking alcohol is so big, even way through adulthood.

This is one that I honestly just have never understood.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 1:12 pm

Yensid wrote:
Janissy wrote:
I have done this. It's so embarrassing. Except I wasn't lying. I really did read the instructions. I really did follow them. But when the person goes over the instructions line by line with me, it always turns out that I missed a sentence.

I understand that people can misunderstand or miss a line of instructions. That's not what I am talking about. What I am talking about is a lot more blatant. What they do has no relationship to what the instructions tell them to do. The instructions might be simply: "If this happens, do not do anything. Call for help. Do not try to fix it yourself." and what they do is to open something up and tinker with it, and end up breaking something else in the process.

Another example. I told somebody: "Type this in exactly," but for some reason he changed what I had written. It was not a typing error; it was very different from what I wrote down. Yet, he insisted that he typed in exactly what I told him.

Oh yes that bugs me. I guess some people think they can fix it and nothing will go wrong and when it does, they lie so their warranty isn't voided. Talk about dishonesty.

Also did you give the guy the papers for him to copy from as he was typing? If you just told him what to type, he may have not remembered what the exact words were and didn't want to admit it because he couldn't even ask as he was typing or keep repeating it or even bother to write it down so he can type it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 1:30 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Also did you give the guy the papers for him to copy from as he was typing? If you just told him what to type, he may have not remembered what the exact words were and didn't want to admit it because he couldn't even ask as he was typing or keep repeating it or even bother to write it down so he can type it.

It was all by e-mail. He just had to cut and paste. Nothing was missing. He added things and rearranged it. I asked him two or three times, "did you type EXACTLY what I told you to do." He swore that what he put in was EXACTLY what I gave him. Honestly, this guy was always doing things like that. He constantly made mistakes because he was smart, but thought that he was brilliant and he thought that he was always right.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 6:10 pm

Why do they always act cool in public?

Why do they think that just because I'm nearly 21 I can't ask my parents for favours any more, yet it's OK for someone in their 40s to ask their parents for favours?

Why to teenage girls always say ''like'' in between every other word?

Why do people stare at you after you've slipped on an icy pavement?

How do they manage to hold themselves up straight all the time, when it's soooo comfortable to walk hunched?

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 6:46 pm

It's unhealthy to walk hunched.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 6:47 pm

Their threads are too short. I last commented on this baby back in August 2010, and here it is 6 months later, still on top! That's impressive.

(edit: Just realized it started in October of '09! Wow. Someone want to check the Guiness World Records book on this?)

Oh, and also: Celebrities. I have more important things to worry about than how Brittney's hair looks today. And better ways to waste time. Like minesweeper, or politics.

Aspocrat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Feb 2011, 7:46 pm

I don't get why people say nice things at the funeral of a thief or a pervert or someone who beats his children.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 8:48 pm

Aspocrat wrote:
I don't get why people say nice things at the funeral of a thief or a pervert or someone who beats his children.

I think it's all about respecting the dead. When someone dies, it's not nice to say bad things about them. Maybe because they aren't alive to defend themselves. Same reason why people say it's not polite to talk behind peoples backs, they're not around to defend themselves. :roll:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 4:21 am

Aspocrat wrote:

I know. I once wasted a weekend to go to some chumps (my wifes Grandad) funeral. They said nice things about him, the family played the brass band etc.
Then it all came out he was a child molester of his own daughters and some of his grand daughters. :x

LibertiORDeth
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2011, 1:09 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Aspocrat wrote:

I think it's all about respecting the dead. When someone dies, it's not nice to say bad things about them. Maybe because they aren't alive to defend themselves. Same reason why people say it's not polite to talk behind peoples backs, they're not around to defend themselves. :roll:

I feel like it's more than anything just due to the fact that most people place a value on life, or more so a negative value on death (this is generally more of an issue with people who believe in the afterlife, which I don't). So, instead of death being freedom from the world and everything in it, many people seem to think of it as an entrance into a terrible beyond, or for whatever other reason just as very undesirable (not that I at all desire death, but I also don't in any way fear or dread it).

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2011, 6:39 am

This one should be a thread all by itself:

I don't understand most of the rules behind dating and relationships, and this is the only place where I'll admit it.

Sure, I understand that people of different religions and cultures getting married may not be the best of ideas, but come on,
do we need things like this:

(1) Don't say "I love spending time with you", it is a relationship killer.
(2) If she doesn't call you after you have sex with her, it is over
(3) Don't use a digital watch. Women don't like men who use digital watches
(4) I can go on and on and on with stuff like this.

It is as if spending your life with someone has been churned into rules to the point of making relationships so robotic, it is
not unusual that most marriages end up in divorce.

If you get along with someone of your sexual preference, marry that person, or spend the rest of your life with that person. That should
should be it.

And dating services are even worse. They give me the feeling that dating is now bits and pixels.