Autism and a heightened sense of psychic abilities

Page 7 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 4:13 am

rereading part of my first post there i do sound a bit defensive.

a lot of what you just explained makes a lot of sense.

however, it doesn't satisfy me completely. i occasionally wonder if time isn't actually linear, but we only perceive it that way because it's the only way we can make sense of it.

i'm no scientist. it's probably irresponsible of me to dash something like that ^ off and hope someone who might be able to explain it (or invalidate it) will come along and post ... but .. i think that's what i'm doing ... ...

the Sagan thing was interesting, and falls in line rather nicely with my point of view about all this, actually. thanks for posting it.

:?: < (my closing statement)

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 6:29 am

My off-hand thoughts.

For lack of a better way to say it, I think humans have inherent "psychic" abilities, but much of it mandates a sensitivity to the things we can't sense with our traditional 5 senses. By the time you reach 12, you have been trained to be cynical enough that you don't pick up on things that your subconscious mind recognizes for what it is.

People like us are outside the norm and for that reason alone we don't dismiss things like NTs generally do.

Heck, the conscious mind only picks up on 10% of what we take in. Learning to pay attention to your subconscious is important if you want to have a clue about what is really going on.

ADHDorASDorBoth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jun 2010, 6:39 am

Someone says something. It's impossible that they have said it to me before. Instantly I get a real in-your-face feeling. For many years, I thought "weird" but now when I look at the brain/eye/ear co-ordination, I think the processing delay theory is quite strong, so it's very likely that I just echoed it in my mind. I wonder if it happens more with people with a certain routing of the brain, whether it be adhd, asd, etc etc

I do write down some dreams that feel strong and that I remember just in case they come true lol....Apart from that, I'm not really a believer until a written down experience comes true.

However, the universe is pretty dynamic lol, so perhaps anything is possible?

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2010, 7:30 am

One of the reassuring things about life, from the evidence, is that both aspies and NTs are both willing to believe anything that feels consistent with their current set of delusions.

Not only believe, but create new arguments that explain why anyone who doesn't believe is wrong, wrong, wrong. It's truly the most consistent identifying trait of a human being that I've yet come across.

decoder
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jun 2010, 10:56 am

peterd wrote:
One of the reassuring things about life, from the evidence, is that both aspies and NTs are both willing to believe anything that feels consistent with their current set of delusions.

Not only believe, but create new arguments that explain why anyone who doesn't believe is wrong, wrong, wrong. It's truly the most consistent identifying trait of a human being that I've yet come across.

To think that somebody is in delusion can also be a delusion.

kia_williams
Raven
Raven

12 Jun 2010, 12:19 pm

I had deJa'vu frequently as a teen, not so much right now.

I can or did when i did people, freak people out with my -apparent- knowledge of them, or what's going on with them. however most of the time what's actually going on with my sudden "psychic knowledge" of someone or something is basically pure analysis, behavioural patterns, highest probabilities given X Y Z A N B and C, Telltales, in essence.. cold reading, what TV psychics use to 'pull' details out of no where.

Are we Spock or Holmes i wonder? XD

RE: psychic abilities...

I have one core believe, humans = stupid.. we are not as great or knowing as we think, for gods sakes we cant even explain TIME yet, we have ot come up with stuff like String Theory or M Theory.. that and the tendency to look at a spectrum and only see its ends not its shades... so scientist says to me "it isnt real" .. usually i'll nod and think "give it a hundred years, we'll probably have found some way to detect something new and found out, as usual, we we're wrong"

In Short, Insufficient Evidence for validity/invalidity of ESP stuff.

Anyone else roll their eyes and laugh when coming across the "Theres no such thing as aliens ( why yes we're the only life bearing planet in the Universe)" people?

:)

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2010, 1:03 pm

I'm still waiting for one of these "psychics" to win the lottery because of their "abilities" or to actually predict an event of national or global consequence.