100 Ways to Annoy Somebody With Asperger's Syndrome

Page 7 of 45 [ 711 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 45  Next

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 Feb 2011, 6:41 pm

142 Lean forward and breathe coffee fumes over them, while waving a hand in their face and patronizingly asking in a gratingly cheerful voice "Is anyone in?"

Idiotchief
Toucan
Toucan

24 Feb 2011, 6:42 pm

142. Messing up a delibertly planned area while trying to be "helpful"

Sean_91
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2011, 6:47 pm

143. On a city bus, stare at them nonstop in their direct line of sight until they've had it and move seats. Meltdown preferred, but not required.
144. Attempt to have a conversation with them if they are in a hurry to get somewhere.
145. If they are with a friend of the opposite gender, try to separate them and keep them apart. Do not tell them why, even if they are determined to get an answer from you.
146. Turn them down for a job because they have AS. The number of awards, recognitions, or recommendations is irrelevant.
147. Persuade as many people as possible that they are creepy and that they are not to be trusted under any circumstance.
148. Talk to them when they have their full concentration on a task. Get offended or pissed off when they do respond, even if they apologize.
149. If they are reading a SkillsUSA magazine, glare at them disapprovingly.
150. Turn around and stare at them every two seconds if they are behind you. Make sure that you stare at them more often if they are uncomfortable.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 6:48 pm

151) Bring your baby to the autism group and not leave the room when he or she starts crying.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 7:03 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
134) Never directly ask for help. Instead, mention that you will be doing something and assume that it will be understood that you are really asking for help with that task.

Goodness I never knew that. Now I know.

That's one of those funny rules. Sometimes it is a request for help, sometimes it is not. You are just expected to know which it is.

152) Whistle loudly in the restroom
153) Whistle loudly anywhere indoors
154) If they are with a friend of the opposite gender, interrupt and monopolize said friend
155) Try to get your credit card out and complete a transaction without interrupting your cell phone conversation

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 7:05 pm

156). Interrupt them when they are talking about their special interest (or interrupt them at all...I HATE being interrupted!)

157). Interrupt them when they try to bring the conversation back to their special interest after having been interrupted

158) Say things like "we'll see" "maybe" and "probably" in regard to making plans with them for the day

159) Borrow a book from their favorite series and not return it for a really really long time

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 7:12 pm

160) Ask a question and then change the topic before they have a chance to answer.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 7:15 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
158) Say things like "we'll see" "maybe" and "probably" in regard to making plans with them for the day

:oops: :oops: I have done this to my daughter :oops: :oops: . Understandably, she hates it. I try to minimize the times I have to say it by not discussing any plans until they are definate. Unfortunately, I am unable to stop doing it entirely. There are times when a plan is contingent on something else happening that is not within my control. For those times I explain the contingencies and try to make it as clear an "if/then" scenario as possible. Still, it drives her nuts if I can't just say "yes" or "no".

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 7:17 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
134) Never directly ask for help. Instead, mention that you will be doing something and assume that it will be understood that you are really asking for help with that task.

It's my mother's specialty.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 7:22 pm

Haven't read through all this. These may be repeats. But:

161. Try to read what I'm reading over my shoulder.
162. Smoke a cigarette and let the smoke blow in my face.
163. If you're a kid and in my class, continually ring one of the bells :evil:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 8:12 pm

164) Keep expecting them to tell you "I love you" every single day
165) Try and force them to socialize when you go to social gatherings.
166) Tell them you are leaving and not leave
167) Try and talk to them as they are very focused on something
168) Go in their room and take something without asking
169) Go and clean their home while they are out without consulting them
170) Get upset about something they wouldn't get upset with
171) Tell them they forgot to do something and then expect them to actually do it
172) Tell them they left crumbs on the counter top or dishes go in the dishwasher and expect them to clean it up or putting their dish in the dishwasher

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 8:47 pm

173. Take their special interests away from them.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

24 Feb 2011, 8:51 pm

Janissy wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:

:oops: :oops: I have done this to my daughter :oops: :oops: . Understandably, she hates it. I try to minimize the times I have to say it by not discussing any plans until they are definate. Unfortunately, I am unable to stop doing it entirely. There are times when a plan is contingent on something else happening that is not within my control. For those times I explain the contingencies and try to make it as clear an "if/then" scenario as possible. Still, it drives her nuts if I can't just say "yes" or "no".

I have actually had a mild meltdown over this just in the past six months, and I'm 41. I have never adjusted well to ambiguity and uncertainty.

modernhobbit
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Feb 2011, 8:55 pm

Yensid wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:

That's one of those funny rules. Sometimes it is a request for help, sometimes it is not. You are just expected to know which it is.

152) Whistle loudly in the restroom
153) Whistle loudly anywhere indoors
154) If they are with a friend of the opposite gender, interrupt and monopolize said friend
155) Try to get your credit card out and complete a transaction without interrupting your cell phone conversation

OMG THANK YOU for mentioning whistling! That drives me absolutely crazy! I work in a book store and for whatever reason weird old men think it's appropriate to wander around whistling random notes there all the time. This feels like someone is sticking pins (or something bigger than pins, depending) through my ears directly into my brain. I usually just try to "run away" to another part of the store but that doesn't always work, like when I'm working the cash register. Sometimes I want to ask them to stop, but I suspect that would go over poorly.

Sorry for blathering.

likeasorethumb
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2011, 8:59 pm

174) Bully an aspie just because you know they're sensitive.

modernhobbit
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Feb 2011, 9:03 pm

174. Poke them to get their attention, or for any other reason.

175. Smirk at them when they check out a book about AS from the library. I may have trouble reading faces, but I know a smirk when I see one.

176. Blow up at them because they didn't know that what they were doing was bothering you and thus didn't change their behavior.