Page 7 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 2:53 pm

cavendish wrote:
So your generation is the first one to deal with these issues? Hardly. Others throughout history have faced much worse.

Yes, and most of them died or lived in profound misery. Take the Black Death or the famine of your choice. Why should a person whine about being infected with the Ebola virus or cancer when so many humans have been through worse?

People have a drive to improve the human condition above the historically lowest of all possible human existence.

Quote:
Appreciate what you have, work hard to achieve your goals in life, and don't expect much sympathy from the world. Rely on friends and family, rather than the government and the mental health system.

Did that. Health disintegrated. Parents were scammed out of half of their retirement savings by a con man. Never expected sympathy from the world or my parents (and they gave none until SSDI came through and they accepted that my problems were not made-up bullsh*t. And now they wonder why I never tell them anything personal). But, overall, my situation was fortunate.

I don't see what you're so worried about, though. If these young people aren't disabled they won't be able to get disability payments or services. In fact, some of them who are disabled and legitimately need payments & services will not be able to get them, because of people like you.

You have the idea in your head that people decide to get SSDI or SSI. It doesn't work that way. You can decide to apply, but the odds of getting approved are low. There is a broken feedback loop of people who think the system is easy and generous driving policy that makes it more and more restrictive when it is already too restrictive.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 3:18 pm

Ataraxis wrote:
jonny23 wrote:
So aspergers isn't a legitimate disability, if you're homeless you're lazy and if you're young you should just get over it? If I have misunderstood you then a sincerely apologies but this is how you've sounded to me.

It's not just you, he's managed to endear himself to many people by talking like this. I don't know about you, but I really appreciate someone who takes time out of their busy day to come on a forum for people looking for support so he can tear them down and tell them to get over their whiny problems because they're lazy and don't matter in the grand scheme of things. He's just a wonderful, helpful person making sure we don't forget how worthless we all are.

I tried telling you guys 5 pages ago he's screwing with you and people just keep feeding him.

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 5:23 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
I tried telling you guys 5 pages ago he's screwing with you and people just keep feeding him.

Yes... you did. His message is like a troll's message, but there is a grain of truth in there. I have lived a long, and I think interesting life with Asperger's... but there was no Asperger's. I worked mightily to NOT have problems, and to not stick out. And I was always grateful to have work that paid my way. Almost all of my jobs were isolated, and off by myself. That was fine with me. I ended up creating my own small business that made great money for two decades (I made desserts for restaurants... 80 restaurants).

That said, cavendish talks about "homeless" people, and I have long known that I was just one step away from being a homeless person. In 1960 I ran away from military college, and hitchhiked across the country. I NEEDED a JOB. I got a job where I worked in the back room of a sporting goods store putting on ski bindings. But if I had been diagnosed, when I was a child as having a disorder, and the government had sent money for my upkeep... well everything would have been different that's for sure.

cavendish
Raven
Raven

16 May 2012, 7:16 pm

So anyone who simply disagrees with the majority viewpoint here is deliberately antagonzing people, and may indeed be a troll? Can't you and others here handle alternate views? I probably represent the majority view in society, so you better be able to deal with this in the future.

Rascal77s wrote:
Ataraxis wrote:
jonny23 wrote:
So aspergers isn't a legitimate disability, if you're homeless you're lazy and if you're young you should just get over it? If I have misunderstood you then a sincerely apologies but this is how you've sounded to me.

It's not just you, he's managed to endear himself to many people by talking like this. I don't know about you, but I really appreciate someone who takes time out of their busy day to come on a forum for people looking for support so he can tear them down and tell them to get over their whiny problems because they're lazy and don't matter in the grand scheme of things. He's just a wonderful, helpful person making sure we don't forget how worthless we all are.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 11:41 pm

tall-p wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:

Yes... you did. His message is like a troll's message, but there is a grain of truth in there. I have lived a long, and I think interesting life with Asperger's... but there was no Asperger's. I worked mightily to NOT have problems, and to not stick out. And I was always grateful to have work that paid my way. Almost all of my jobs were isolated, and off by myself. That was fine with me. I ended up creating my own small business that made great money for two decades (I made desserts for restaurants... 80 restaurants).

That said, cavendish talks about "homeless" people, and I have long known that I was just one step away from being a homeless person. In 1960 I ran away from military college, and hitchhiked across the country. I NEEDED a JOB. I got a job where I worked in the back room of a sporting goods store putting on ski bindings. But if I had been diagnosed, when I was a child as having a disorder, and the government had sent money for my upkeep... well everything would have been different that's for sure.

I worked for 14 years and I don't think I've lasted 1 year at any one job. Social anxiety and the suicidal depression during and between jobs was nothing short of torture. My career ended with with losing my hair and being sick for literally months at a time. If I had continued I wouldn't be alive right now. I have nothing to show for my work now. Many of the people on this forum have worse problems than you and I and don't necessarily have the opportunities you had. One could say "Hitler was a nice guy" and there would be 'a grain of truth to it', I'm sure he was nice to Ava Braun and his german shepard. Maybe there is a grain of truth but here you also have a person that's making a broad statement about all people who are ASD and anything above the level of vegetable. You might not see him as a troll but surely you recognize a bigot.

This upkeep money that is being talked about is not enough to pay rent for a 1 bedroom apartment in many parts of the country. It is meant to cover the most basic human needs and he doesn't believe anyone on this forum should have access to it. How anybody could have anything other than zero respect for him, or defend his position in in even the most minimal way, is beyond my understanding.

Ataraxis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 May 2012, 1:48 am

cavendish wrote:
So anyone who simply disagrees with the majority viewpoint here is deliberately antagonzing people, and may indeed be a troll? Can't you and others here handle alternate views? I probably represent the majority view in society, so you better be able to deal with this in the future.

Actually no, acting like a troll is what makes you a troll. And you sir are a fine example of a troll. You come on a forum where people are asking for help, and instead of actually offering anything constructive, you begin to demean and demoralize everyone you respond to. Whether you represent the majority view or not (and you do not, however you'd like to delude yourself), it doesn't make your behavior here any less wrong or trollish. And the fact that you took it upon yourself to respond to every other person's entries in this thread is another very good indicator that you are just a sad troll looking for attention. And now that you've flung your troll feces all over this thread, I'm done here. I won't be reading anymore of your posts or giving you the satisfaction of a response. As many problems as I have, I feel sorry for you.

INTJ
What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know and I don't care.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 4:47 am

Ataraxis wrote:
jonny23 wrote:

And they say aspies don't understand sarcasm :)

cavendish
Raven
Raven

17 May 2012, 7:51 am

You can hide from the harsh reality of the world out there, but you would be missing out on the opportunity to learn from all types of people, even those with whom you disagree. You need to toughen up a bit if you want to make the most life.

Ataraxis wrote:
cavendish wrote:

Actually no, acting like a troll is what makes you a troll. And you sir are a fine example of a troll. You come on a forum where people are asking for help, and instead of actually offering anything constructive, you begin to demean and demoralize everyone you respond to. Whether you represent the majority view or not (and you do not, however you'd like to delude yourself), it doesn't make your behavior here any less wrong or trollish. And the fact that you took it upon yourself to respond to every other person's entries in this thread is another very good indicator that you are just a sad troll looking for attention. And now that you've flung your troll feces all over this thread, I'm done here. I won't be reading anymore of your posts or giving you the satisfaction of a response. As many problems as I have, I feel sorry for you.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 8:52 am

Ok guys really an entire page of you complaining about one poster? I had no problems discussing things reasonably even though I disagreed a lot with that poster so why not give up this and actually debate the points made....if you think you've been personally attacked or that anyone else has take it up with a moderator...don't derail the thread with it.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 9:45 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Ok guys really an entire page of you complaining about one poster? I had no problems discussing things reasonably even though I disagreed a lot with that poster so why not give up this and actually debate the points made....if you think you've been personally attacked or that anyone else has take it up with a moderator...don't derail the thread with it.

I hope that I didn't sound like I was complaining, I really was trying to argue my point. But I do agree that I've helped to completely derailed the thread and I apologize.

In fact I am very interested in peoples answers to the original post. I'm also interested in talking to a professional about asperger but even the first step in using the phone makes me nervous me and it's all up hill from there. How many people here went through the steps alone as an adult?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 10:04 am

jonny23 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I hope that I didn't sound like I was complaining, I really was trying to argue my point. But I do agree that I've helped to completely derailed the thread and I apologize.

In fact I am very interested in peoples answers to the original post. I'm also interested in talking to a professional about asperger but even the first step in using the phone makes me nervous me and it's all up hill from there. How many people here went through the steps alone as an adult?

Well that was just the best word I could think if......just seemed people are attributing a few too many intentions they could not possible know for sure about to that poster. But yeah I hate having phone related anxiety and there's so many people who literally cannot seem to understand. Even my mom who knows this 'all you have to do is call them' well that's the whole problem.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 10:18 am

I find it ironic that the issues I'd like help with are the ones that keep me from getting help.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 10:38 am

jonny23 wrote:
I find it ironic that the issues I'd like help with are the ones that keep me from getting help.

Oh i know, its unbelievably frustrating....and speak of the devil, I just got off the phone with my mom after having convinced her I can in fact schedule both a doctors appointment and SSI appointment today now I am just kind of wondering if I will actually follow through or get too anxious.