Page 7 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 10:47 pm

mikeman7918 wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:
Kuraudo777 wrote:
^Yep, that's what it's like for me sometimes. I will respond if someone talks to me, but it might take me a bit.
Exactly, people expect me to speak up instantly, it just takes me a few seconds to respond.

Yeah, I'm totally like that too. If someone says something to me without me expecting it then it may take as much as 3 seconds for me to figure out that someone said something, I can then sort of replay what they said from my short term memory and properly process it. I then have to come up with a bunch of possible ways I can answer, screen out socially inappropriate ones, and then pick one that I like and say it. That too can take a few seconds, assuming it's not a yes/no question or any other kind of question where I can use echolalia to answer. Sometimes I just don't answer if it's not a question and a lot of people have gotten annoyed because of that because they think I didn't hear them even though I did.

Given the choice I usually prefer to be mute, in fact my friend (who is a strange person with a lot of autistic tendencies, among them being language processing difficulties) and I sometimes walk or sit next to each other for as much as an hour without saying a word. Right now I haven't spoken to someone in a few hours and I love it! I am sharing the house with my Dad who works a lot, my 17 year old brother who is almost always off doing something, and my 13 year old brother who is nearly as introverted as I am and who I suspect might be autistic too. Most of the time I can get away with not saying much. It would be interesting to count how many words I say per day and compare it to the average.

Yup, I know exactly what you mean!

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 12:54 am

Austinfrom1995 wrote:
Yup, I know exactly what you mean!

It's times like this that I'm really glad I joined this forum. I can talk about the strangest stuff I do that I may have even been ashamed of in the past and people can actually relate.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art