I feel wronged by a psych tester who didn't see my AS

Page 7 of 7 [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2008, 9:58 am

Which is why I'm a fan of either bringing in a person to interact socially with the patient (that the patient isn't aware of), or going out and perhaps interacting in a food court at the nearest mall. I'm betting either of these will quickly reveal one's impairments (social and repetitive behaviours).

The environment that's the professional's office is probably the best place for someone with an ASD to interact (from what I've seen/read, that is).

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2008, 2:39 pm

The DSV seems to be based on kids anyway... my regular therapist ruled me out because I liked to tell people about my interests and the book I guess suggests we don't???

The person I'm seeing right now after just interviewing me asked if I was autistic I guess it depends on how experenced the person is.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2008, 3:01 pm

Angnix wrote:
The DSV seems to be based on kids anyway... my regular therapist ruled me out because I liked to tell people about my interests and the book I guess suggests we don't???

The person I'm seeing right now after just interviewing me asked if I was autistic I guess it depends on how experenced the person is.

Well, we can go on and on about our interests unbidden and then on a bit more and a bit more... or sometimes we say nothing about them at all. Its dependent on many things and for that therapist to rule this out suggests a lack of understanding of the ASDs. Oh well, whats new? ha ha :D

Iam
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jul 2008, 3:20 pm

sparkman wrote:
I am sure that some people might look for a diagnosis thinking that they have AS when they don't have it, but they must surely have some problems that they need help with if they are seeking a diagnosis. If they are not diagnosed they may be able to get help or a different diagnosis which would suit their problems and get them help.

At the age of 56, I sought a diagnosis for AS after learning my niece had been diagnosed with AS. I read of the symptoms of AS during research, and suddenly much of my own life began to make sense.
I have never married, and I have only had one girlfriend, who was somewhat aggressive in pursuing me. That relationship lasted four months. I have experienced many failed and painful attempts to establish friendships and romantic relationships. I have always been an outsider in any social milieu, since as early as I can remember.
I have had only one full time job lasting more than one year in my entire life. I have experienced long periods of unemployment, and relied for many years on the support of my parents to survive.
My initial attempt to obtain an evaluation for AS resulted in a report denying any aspect of AS present with me. I was shocked. I had paid for this expensive evaluation, from a university related autism clinic, with funds left to me by my deceased parents. I had relied on their support for years, and after their death I was very worried about how to provide for myself.
I sought a second opinion from a neuropsychologist. This psychologist was inclined to give a diagnosis of AS, despite reading the report from the university autism clinic, but in the end felt unable to render an AS diagnosis due to lack of early childhood developmental milestone information.
I have finally obtained employment in a relatively menial manufacturing position. I have been employed there long enough to qualify for medical benefits, which also fortunately include mental health benefits.
Due to interpersonal stresses and conflicts at work, I had to begin regularly visiting a psychologist for counseling. This psychologist has worked with individuals with AS, and actually has a mate who has AS. She is convinced I also have AS.
My purpose in seeking a diagnosis was to obtain a deeper understanding of the difficulties which I had experienced throughout my life, and how to best work to minimize future problems, as exhibited by my historically evident inability to fully function in social and professional venues. While I do not have an official diagnosis, and may never obtain one, finding an answer about myself has enabled me to resolve some of the misunderstandings and painful memories of my past, as well as to define what separates me from my peers, and makes my life so different.