Is an ASD Neurologist is better at diagnosing ASD

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MomofThree1975
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jun 2012, 11:37 am

We had our 3 yo seen by the nerologist who I think has ASD and he thinks our son has autistic traits but not enough to get a diagnosis. I am treating my son as if he has ASD because certain techniques I think will work well for him. The school district (who cannot diagnose a child) is treating him as if he has ASD (which works well for us since it gives us benefits).

That started me wondering if an ASD neurologist would miss the signs of ASD or if he would be more intune to it. What do you think.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 11:40 am

Seems like a neurologist specializing in ASDs would be as good as anyone else out there, i.e., among the top tier.

mike_br
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Jun 2012, 12:05 pm

I'd trust him. Qualification wise, it's good.

Is he the only doctor you're seen? Is there a therapyst as well?
I'm usually satisfied with the same diagnosis from 2 different persons. Not because of qualification, but because of human nature.

MomofThree1975
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jun 2012, 12:16 pm

So far, he's the only doctor we have seen. I want to also get a developmental pedi. My son's ASD is not really disruptive right now so I am not anxiously looking for another doctor, but we will eventually get one. We are instead focusing on therapies (ST,OT, PT, Play Therapy) and school.

I was just curious to know if ASD makes you more aware of it in someone else, or, less aware.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 1:01 pm

So you're saying you think the neurologist has ASD. Not that he's a neurologist that specializes ASD?

MomofThree1975
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jun 2012, 1:11 pm

jonny23 wrote:
So you're saying you think the neurologist has ASD. Not that he's a neurologist that specializes ASD?

Correct! Though he also specializes in pediatric ASD and a few other things.

The neurologist also has ticks, but not enough to be distracting to me.