Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 1:49 pm

Interesting article re brain neurotransmitters and autism

http://gailbuck.hubpages.com/hub/autism-biochemistry

"What biochemical factors might cause a problem with the synthesis of neurotransmitters and hormones in autism?"

"The steroid hormones, progesterone, oestrogen, testosterone and adreno-corticotropic hormone or ACTH are also relevant to autism. The production and secretion of ACTH is activated by the hypothalamus when the body is stressed. This hormone stimulates the adrenal cortex to synthesize cortisol, which in turn acts to promote gluconeogenesis in the liver and to stimulate the breakdown of proteins to amino acids in the muscles. So, the ingestion of the ACTH precursor, progesterone, in the form of birth control pills, would cause an increase in ACTH, making a person better equipped to handle stress. The resultant increase in cortisol would also activate glucose and amino acid synthesis, helping the brain and body to function better."

Last week I started taking the Progesterone-only Pill - Cerazette and I have to say I feel a lot better for it - more 'together' generally

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 5:54 pm

So interesting! Thanks for posting!

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 6:08 pm

EstherJ wrote:
So interesting! Thanks for posting!

It is isn't it?

It's all explained in a way that's easier to understand than a lot of scientific type articles
too

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

15 Dec 2012, 9:37 pm

My longest stint in college, followed by actually moving and finding a job was during a time when I was taking progesterone. Everything fell apart at some point after I stopped taking the progesterone (only a month or so later). This does make me wonder if there is at least some correlation there.

Stress was still a huge problem for me at the time, and I still ended up crashing and burning, but this does make me wonder.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 9:41 pm

Verdandi wrote:
My longest stint in college, followed by actually moving and finding a job was during a time when I was taking progesterone. Everything fell apart at some point after I stopped taking the progesterone (only a month or so later). This does make me wonder if there is at least some correlation there.

Stress was still a huge problem for me at the time, and I still ended up crashing and burning, but this does make me wonder.

Very interesting!

There seems to be some kind of link there

Were you taking progesterone in the form of the contraceptive pill or just as a hormone in itself?

What would be good is if progesterone could be given to a male with Asperger's to see
if it had a positive effect on them too

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 10:31 pm

Another interesting article along the same lines by Temple Grandin:-

http://autismdigest.com/hidden-medical- ... -problems/

"Hidden Medical Problems Can Cause Behavior Problems
by Temple Grandin

Autism Asperger’s Digest | May/June 2009

"Dr. Bauman described other useful observations from her clinical practice with hundreds of children with autism. She has observed that girls’ behaviours are often more likely to get worse at puberty than boys’. I can really relate to this. When puberty started, my anxiety and panic attacks exploded. Dr. Bauman has found that some girls with autism have an imbalance between the hormones of oestrogen and progesterone. Treating the hormone imbalance improved behaviour. This problem can be diagnosed and treated by either a very good gynaecologist or an endocrinologist."