Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joshandspot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2009, 4:28 pm

I have a friend who might have adhd and definitely has generalized anxiety disorder but is convinced he has aspergers as well.... and he acts alot like me too. Is it posible that adhd and gad could manifest itsself in a manner somewhat like aspergers? just curious?

WardenWolf
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2009, 5:12 pm

ADHD and Aspergers often go together, and milder Aspergers used to be misdiagnosed as ADD / ADHD a lot despite some fairly obvious differences. The most obvious similarity is that both typically involve stimming, often almost unconscious physical movement. It's possible he has it. Aspies and ADHD people sometimes do get along well, though.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2009, 5:23 pm

adhd is a frequent commorbid (common co-condition) with aspergers. In addition, aspergers itself manifests traits of ADHD and is often mistaken for it.

It's quite likely but see a practitioner and/or consider the RDOS online test if the subject is old enough to answer the questions truthfully.

Aspie Quiz (RDOS Test)

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2009, 6:16 pm

A lot of "pure" ADDers I know tend to be very socially dynamic...or at least try to be. They make eye contact..juggle lots of friends...seem to have boundless energy...etc...I think that ADD is maybe sort of on a spectrum of it's own that kinda slides into AS. I was first diagnosed as having ADD...and I was on ADD message boards for years...before I ever even heard of AS.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 7:11 am

S'funny...my dad is very smart...with a wide range of skills....musical...artistic....social(he's a high-end salesman)...he's a speed reader..um..he's been a draftsman in the past...and there are a lot of smart people in his family..inventors, architechts engineers and whatnot...and there is a pretty good streak of AS on that side of his family..not to mention OCD...I am pretty sure his dad's brother...and likely his dad would qualify for AS....as well as a few cousins... My dad is not exactly NT...but his traits present in a more ADD fashion(from what I understand of ADD from the books I read a long time ago).... He is very socially gregarious and spends money freely and impulsively collects things...and so on..
My mom is more AS-ish....awkward..intorverted...sensitive...repetitive about her obsessions...and so on..my dad is more flexible....

My traits tend to fall somewhat between the two...

(me using my parents as an example of the difference between AS and ADD...and implying the reasons I think they are strongly connected)

I think that true ADD is more complex than "Just not being able to pay attention"

ghfreak13579
Raven
Raven

25 May 2009, 12:08 pm

Part of it depends on your friend's social skills. If he has ADHD, he will probably be moderately to highly social. If he has Asperger's, he will probably be a bit eccentric and introverted (not very social).

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 12:26 pm

My older sister has ADHD, and she can be very social indeed.

Dianitapilla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 May 2009, 4:38 am

They can be comfused, but thay can also be co-morbid.

A person with an extreme ADD or with ADHD (combined type) with episodes of hyperfocusing can be wrongly seen as aspie and other thousand things similar.

A person with ADHD alone or combined type can be socially disable -asperger's kinda outputs like not knowing when to talk, interrupting people- .

Asperger's can be comfused with ADD and thousand things similars to it.

But the only thing that really defines if it's autism is having problems with the theory of the mind.

I have ADHD (combined type) and AS, I'm called "a messy ADHDer" also a "messy Aspie", but I've read about people that has ADHD (only) and AS they seem to be "less caothic but active and easily distracted" kind of aspie.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 5:28 am

i have (IMO) ADHD &AS. it's great.. :) 8O :lol: :oops: 8O

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 6:12 am

I am an Aspie with ADHD. I work with a woman who has only ADHD and who is married to an Aspie. It is interesting to note the differences they have to each other, and the similarities I have to both of them.

One of the key DIFFERENCES between me and her is that her "superpower" is to be able to do sequential administrative tasks in her state of hyperfocus. I go into hyperfocus when writing a proposal or a report; but I am very bad at sequential administrative tasks. That, I am told, is typical of many Aspies.

I take Ritalin before admin.

embernator
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 May 2009, 7:40 am

I've got both ADHD and AS. Fun times! :P

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 9:45 am

I have both and I am sure my son has ADHD as well. It can certainly make life chaotic.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 1:31 pm

Joshandspot wrote:
I have a friend who might have adhd and definitely has generalized anxiety disorder but is convinced he has aspergers as well.... and he acts alot like me too. Is it posible that adhd and gad could manifest itsself in a manner somewhat like aspergers? just curious?

I'm thinking this is the case with me too, ADHD and just plain f****d up in the head, which manifests itself in an AS/SPD manner. I guess in many ways I'm a bit more "regular" than an average aspie, but in other areas I make AS people look normal.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 10:24 pm

anna-banana wrote:
Joshandspot wrote:

I'm thinking this is the case with me too, ADHD and just plain f**** up in the head, which manifests itself in an AS/SPD manner. I guess in many ways I'm a bit more "regular" than an average aspie, but in other areas I make AS people look normal.

It's a spectrum. Some people are worse than others.
Of course, for AS, since it's a case of different wiring, you either have it or you don't.

Confused?

1. Everybody with AS has AS.
2. Many people with AS have additional (commorbid) conditions.
3. The Commorbid conditions vary in intensity and affect from one person to another.
4. A person's ability to deal with such differences varies from one person to another - often for environmental rather than genetic reasons.

We're all somewhere on the spectrum and sorted mostly by how we cope. It's quite possible that someone with a worse condition could cope better than someone with a less debilitating one.

Maddkow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jun 2009, 10:32 pm

I have both as well. After looking at some past psych. evaluations on me (from 10 years ago), it stated in a test for ADHD that "114: ADHD Inattentive type, 110: NOS. Had difficulty with focusing, and had poor social skills, and had perseverations." Psychiatrist and my family aknow that that NOS is none other than AS.

I will say though, that ever since my Adderall XR dosage has been reduced over the past few months from 25mg down to 10mg, I'm beginning to feel alot more creative, starting to get this feel as if both conditions are balancing each other out :? Now I'm beginning to feel the "goofy" effects of the ADD kicking in. I'm also beginning to have that "Mozart laugh" from time to time (see Tom Hulce's portrayal of Mozart in Amadeus, and you'll know what I'm talking about)

I sometimes then like to ponder as to whether or not I've lost my mind, but then I come to realize that no, I haven't - I simply gave it a homing device.... which sometimes malfunctions :twisted:

Every morning, blow up a really big balloon. Then, with ear plugs over your ears, slowly let all the air out of the balloon, letting it make that high-pitched sound. Tell your neighbors its a science experiment if they complain.

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 10:52 pm

Alphabetania wrote:
I am an Aspie with ADHD. I work with a woman who has only ADHD and who is married to an Aspie. It is interesting to note the differences they have to each other, and the similarities I have to both of them.

One of the key DIFFERENCES between me and her is that her "superpower" is to be able to do sequential administrative tasks in her state of hyperfocus. I go into hyperfocus when writing a proposal or a report; but I am very bad at sequential administrative tasks. That, I am told, is typical of many Aspies.

I take Ritalin before admin.

What would be an example of a "sequential administrative task"?