Does anyone else have trouble lighting a lighter?

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

psayles56
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Nov 2011, 8:25 pm

I have Fibroymalgia as well as Asperger's but I have a lot of trouble lighting a lighter and stuff. It is really annoying.

Last edited by psayles56 on 09 Nov 2011, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2011, 8:29 pm

Some are easier to light than others. Should try looking around.

But they do not have me

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2011, 9:21 pm

Damn, fibromyalgia at 20? My mom has it, she's 57 and got it at age 35 or so. Do you drink aspartame? If so, get the hell off it, please.

Anyway as far as lighting lighters. I don't know, maybe a tad bit when I was a kid. But, I ended up just getting lighters as a kid and just playing with them like crazy, so now I'm awesome at lighting lighters. Go being young and liking to see fire. I don't smoke, though.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2011, 9:44 pm

I can't imagine what it must be like to have that. :(
I used to have a hard time lighting lighters solely because I was afraid of getting burnt in the process. These days I use a long-necked lighter to avoid the flame.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2011, 10:03 pm

I smoked for about 12 years - for the first two years I had to get my friends to light the cigarettes for me, I couldn't use my thumb to light the lighter, I used to always use my index finger to light my lighter...which looked silly.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2011, 10:06 pm

Get a Zippo.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

psayles56
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Nov 2011, 10:18 pm

I have had fibromyalgia since I was about 9 years old.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2011, 10:20 pm

Yes, I do.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2011, 10:33 pm

The only reason I have any experience with lighter is because I'm a boy with friends who like setting stuff on fire. Fire is pretty, destructive but controllable, and warm. Anyway I've never been able to light a traditional lighter, they wheel hurts me, but with a little bit of difficulty I can light this "push thingy to release gas, push trigger to ignite" long lighter thingy. I also have difficulty lighting matches, as I tend to break them when I strike to hard and I tend to strike to soft as I'm afraid of being burned, and once I was a fool and dropped a match, and a hole was burned in the table cloth before I could put it out.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2011, 10:36 pm

I don't have trouble personally but there are some lighters that you might find easier such as zippos or the "jet" butane lighters

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Nov 2011, 10:38 pm

I thought I was the only one! I can't light lighters. I once told my therapist this, and she didn't believe me. She brought a lighter into a session so she could see what was going on with that. She was astounded to see me try over and over again, and.... nothing. I got it lit once, but it was a fluke. I struck that switch thingy, giving it a push with just my fingernail, instead of the whole finger, and it somehow lit. 99.9999% of the time, I'm unable to do it. I can't light matches, either.
On a semi-related note, I'm also unable to operate a can opener. I can't buy any food that comes in a can, unless it has a pop-up tab, because I won't be able to open the can otherwise.
I could go on to list all the manual/ motor tasks the vast majority of adults can do that I just can't manage. That would be a really long list though, and I'm very tired right now.
Suffice it to say, I can relate.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2011, 10:43 pm

I was actually being serious when I said "Get a Zippo."

If you use the right fluid and fresh flints, they are much easier to light than butane lighters, and they stay lit, even in fairly brisk breezes. They throw a much hotter spark, the wheels are much easier to turn, and they are far more reliable. They'll even light in the rain. They're a lot more expensive, but cheaper in the long run because all you need to buy once you have one is fluid and flints.

I've had one for over ten years now, and I love it.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2011, 11:05 pm

Yeah I have trouble it sucks.

psayles56
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Nov 2011, 11:17 pm

OuterBoroughGirl wrote:
I thought I was the only one! I can't light lighters. I once told my therapist this, and she didn't believe me. She brought a lighter into a session so she could see what was going on with that. She was astounded to see me try over and over again, and.... nothing. I got it lit once, but it was a fluke. I struck that switch thingy, giving it a push with just my fingernail, instead of the whole finger, and it somehow lit. 99.9999% of the time, I'm unable to do it. I can't light matches, either.
On a semi-related note, I'm also unable to operate a can opener. I can't buy any food that comes in a can, unless it has a pop-up tab, because I won't be able to open the can otherwise.
I could go on to list all the manual/ motor tasks the vast majority of adults can do that I just can't manage. That would be a really long list though, and I'm very tired right now.
Suffice it to say, I can relate.

I can't use a can opener either. I sometimes stuggle opening pickle jars, peanut butter and jelly jars, etc. It is horrible.

I can use like torch lighters. Sparkx (leah) I think mentioned them. They are long. It is hard for me to do a lot of things. It really makes me angry.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2011, 11:23 pm

psayles56 wrote:
I can use like torch lighters. Sparkx (leah) I think mentioned them.

Yeah xD I call 'em long neck lighters!

psayles56
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Nov 2011, 11:31 pm

Aw lol. Cute.