Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

SteveeVader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jun 2009, 12:44 pm

Well some advice on talking to people I have met cat from these forums and he left his number to talk I am just really nervous on phnes to new people but still want to talk cus its a fellow aspie hehe

millie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 1:08 pm

hi.
I couldnot talk on the phone when Iw as younger - save for a couple of people. In my twneties it was impossible. I learned by "doing" and now I find it is a good way for me to communicate.....No face to face contact, no proximity but SOME connection with people. I do not have to try to read faces and bodies and listen to words. I have just the words. easier for me.
I can tend to monologue, but i learned 11 years ago about trying to take turns with the to and fro of the talk. (long before i was dx'ed.) I tend to monologue at my mum, but she has learned to say "ok.that is enough. I cannot listen for too long and i have to go."

good luck. give it a go and if the other person is an ASD person, maybe use it as a practice for more risk taking.

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 3:06 pm

i still hate the phone. i don't mind texting though.

Justin6378
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jun 2009, 4:35 pm

:D hi, cat here! :D
i'm also nervous about talking to new people on the phone, but i think it would be good to at least try :)

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 4:49 pm

I don't like speaking on the phone. Texting/Forum/Instant Messenging is okay, as is speaking in person, but speaking on the phone? Not if I can help it.

SteveeVader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jun 2009, 4:57 pm

Justin is officially cat lol I forgot your username yeah me and phones are a love hate relationship I love texting so much more but I think I could chat to aspies fine

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 6:35 pm

I can't even talk to OLD friends on the phone..

Manders
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 6:57 pm

Texting is my lifesaver. I can take my time and think out my response. I prefer it by far.

HamOfCydonia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jun 2009, 8:25 pm

I can only talk to my mum on the phone. If I have to talk to anyone else then I write a list of points to say first, and if it is an important phone call (for example to the bank or the doctor) and nobody else can do it for me, I have to have a script to follow.

Polgara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jun 2009, 11:34 pm

I find the phone easier because it's all in the words, no visual cues to miss!

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 11:45 pm

I hate talking on the phone. Especially when people call just to chitchat or whatever. I usually start going with one-word answers and keep wondering what the actual purpose of the call is. At least with the chit-chat that happens in person, there's some kind of actual situation you're both in, so there's something to go on for making conversation. So, yeah, i avoid talking on the phone. I still don't like talking on the phone at work, but at least then there's a clear question that i need to answer, there's a certain structure about that. And, with e-mails, you're usually talking to someone about a common interest or something... it's not just the "hey, what's up. let's talk now!" that people expect over the phone. That's all i can make of my hatred of phone-talking, anyway.

With really close family it can be better, though. Because then you know what to say to that person, and you're used to the things they say... but i still find it a tiny bit awkward, even then.