Seeing words, numbers and years when they are said.

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

SystemDown
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jun 2009, 10:53 pm

Do you see words, numbers and years when they are said?

Maxi321
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2009, 11:22 pm

words yes, number etc no.

puzzle62
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jun 2009, 11:34 pm

Yes, it's called synestesia. Look it up, it's really cool to read about.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 1:01 am

yep i see words, its almost like a add on a computer it pops on up like spam its like get out of my head i dont want to see the word i want to say the word haha, never works out they way i want it haha. I also feel and taste colors too, if i see royal blue i get this feeling of satisfaction, this tingly great feeling, i describe it as like you want ice cream soo badly ur drooling over it, afterwards when u get it, u finally taste it, its like heaven, thats the same feeling i get looking at royal blue. with some words, i loove silly words, they tickle me from inside out, i saw a word on a license plate, love license plates haha, that say tra boo haha, when i saw it, i couldnt stop laughing, its like in my head as it pops up i get tickled inside out, i jus laughed now reading it. when i hear a word for instance apple, i either will see the word "apple" float on by like an airplane pulling a banner that says apple, or ill see the letters a p p l e all come up and connect like a puzzle and then they form very slowly. This is prob why i love to live inside my own head lolol.

puzzle62
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2009, 4:11 am

It's " Synesthesia" somehow the "H" didn't take the first time I posted, sorry, but it drives me nuts not to correct it!

cc469
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jun 2009, 5:28 am

Well I do see whatever I want to say in text from all the time this is sometimes more confusing than helpful since I often not "find" the right sounds for a word in time what for others say/listening it happens less often but if I focus obviously it does it's not synesthesia just a habit or the way I string words together I assume.

LipstickKiller
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jun 2009, 2:27 pm

I see both words and numbers, and I also can't pronounce a word if I don't know how it's spelled! It's like the pronunciation disappears!

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jun 2009, 3:06 pm

I don't see the letters most of the time, very rarely.
I can picture what the person's saying clearly though.
EMZ=]

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 5:27 pm

puzzle62 wrote:
It's " Synesthesia" somehow the "H" didn't take the first time I posted, sorry, but it drives me nuts not to correct it!

I've never heard of this being a type of synesthesia. I see words, numbers, years, etc. in my head all of the time. When somebody talks, whether it be in real life or on TV, I see what they're saying going across my eyes like a telepromptor screen. It's also correctly punctuated and grammatically correct, which is why I think I've always been so good with grammar. But I thought, in order for it to be synesthesia, another "sense mixing" element would have to be involved, such as seeing the letters in a specific color, or tasting something when hearing a certain number.

It is very possible that I have very mild synesthesia, as I've always thought the days of the week have a color, and I see the days of the week and the months of the year in a very idiosyncratic 3D map in my head. However, I don't think that seeing the words/numbers is a part of synesthesia. I just think it's the autistic "thinking in pictures" syndrome.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 5:32 pm

Picturesque topic

Yeah, it is like they are immediately typed on a screen and i see them. :D

I used to think this was normal and everyone did it.

It is even better when the words turn into pictures.

A visual thing.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 5:39 pm

sartresue,
Yes, until recently, I, too, thought this was normal, and that everybody did it. And every word for me tends to turn into a picture; it's heightened when I'm reading, rather than hearing words. I never really thought that I "thought in pictures" until a year or so ago, when I realized that not everybody "sees" words and such. I think both in words and in pictures. I have an internal dialogue that goes on in my head, but all of the words also give a picture. Very confusing at times!
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 7:57 pm

SystemDown wrote:
Do you see words, numbers and years when they are said?

Not with every single word, but a few jump out at me. Just now, my husband poured us each a glass of Sprite, then took a drink of his. He said, "Ooh! Cold going down!" A visual image of the word COLD appeared in my mind's eye and drifted down and to the right.

I just asked him, "If someone says a number, do you see a visual image of that number in your mind?" He said, "nope." I said a few numbers, and each one gave him an image of something associated with the number. Like, 14 gives him an image of a particular front door of a house he lived in (14 Whatever Street). Six gave him an image of a character from "The Prisoner" (Prisoner Number 6).

I typically do get a visual image of the actual number, but I sometimes also see or hear something associated with it also. If you say "37", I see a 37, but also hear, "I'm thirty-seven! It's not exactly old!" from a Monty Python movie.

Same with years. If I buy something at the store and it costs $10.66, I see 1066 A.D. in my mind, and get a vague picture of the Bayeaux Tapestry or some kind of spoof thereof. If the thing cost $10.65, then I just see 10.65, or perhaps Ten Sixty-Five.

Some words give me a pleasurable feeling when I hear them, kind of like what Age1600 described. "Serendipity" is one of them. "Pumpernickel" gives me a silly feeling.

I also see words even if people don't say them. For instance, my husband has a sky blue t-shirt that he wears sometimes, and if he walks into the room with that shirt on, I'll sometimes see the words "Sky Blue" or "Blue Skies" in my mind.

darby54
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Jun 2009, 8:14 pm

It's all visual all the time for me. When I hear words, they both appear visually and translate to video/image simultaneously. But when I'm reading, it goes straight to video so fast that I'm not really aware of the words, just the images... except when the words themselves are an important part of the work, as in poetry where words can be as much a visual art as the image they create.

I also have number-form synesthesia - mental maps/pictures of numbers, letters and calendars.

unityemissions
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jun 2009, 2:22 am

Pretty much the same as above. Multi-layered visual processing, all the time. Music is usually playing out in ever combining layers as well. If I were to output just a fraction of what goes on inside, surely I'd be known as a nut!

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 2:27 am

I work in pictures a lot, I see days and weeks a lot as images.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 7:43 am

OddDuckNash99 wrote:
I've never heard of this being a type of synesthesia. I see words, numbers, years, etc. in my head all of the time. When somebody talks, whether it be in real life or on TV, I see what they're saying going across my eyes like a telepromptor screen. It's also correctly punctuated and grammatically correct, which is why I think I've always been so good with grammar. But I thought, in order for it to be synesthesia, another "sense mixing" element would have to be involved, such as seeing the letters in a specific color, or tasting something when hearing a certain number.

From what you said, your hearing is crossed with what you see.

Hearing and sight are two senses.

It's pretty irrelevant whether you see something in black, translucent or neon green, because you're all seeing these things when you just only be hearing something.

If your vision is stimulated when actually you just hear something, that's when you're brain is doing something abnormal by crossing senses - synaesthesia.