Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 7:31 am

Technicality.
Semantics.
There are lies, damn lies and Free Offers

Free IPOD Nano - this offer was on the radio. These companies are making a lot of money and not giving people anything for free.
For the purpose of research, I went to the site advertised and completed the offer and what you have to do is buy six things. That is like saying the cell phone is free if you spend $500 on cell phone service. If I spend $500, I am not getting anything for free.

I challenge anyone out there to show me a truly free offer, where I don't have to give my credit card or try anything for "just" shipping and handling.

Free? No such thing.

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

hermit
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2006, 8:23 am

NM, that is one heck of an avatar you've got today.

And I agree... I don't ever remember a free lunch, either. Always strings somewhere.

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 10:10 am

The research continues:
After I completed the offers, one of which was for a credit card, I was informed that once they receive proof that I completed two offers per page for three pages, including receiving the credit card and using it, they would send me the IPOD.

Given my ADHD and sensory integration issues, I am not sure I met the requirements. I can't find out without logging in to the site and my password didn't work. the support staff said they can't resend the password and i'll just have to mail them receipts for everything. Polite but not helpful.
Probably the ones where you refer other people who refer other people would work, but I am the classic AS person with no friends. I couldn't find one other person who would be willing to do this. Some of the sites ask you to refer five people.

So, although in some form they do what they promise, it is not a good scheme for someone with handicaps to try.

I will update when I know more about where I stand.

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

alex
Developer
Developer

22 Jan 2006, 10:46 am

You should ask people you know from wrongplanet.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 1:03 pm

Some are real,Neuroman,there was one company the BBC advertised in an article on their site.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Nuttdan
WP Co-Founder
WP Co-Founder

22 Jan 2006, 5:22 pm

Generally, these offers *do* work, but:
- You have to put in your email before you even find out the details, and they spam you into the stoneage
- You have to put in five friends to invite, which they also spam into the stoneage
- You have to do some "offer" like getting a trial of a magazine or something
- Five friends have to do "offers" as well and go through the same process.

So the end result is that it's too much work to jump through all the hoops to actually get it, and so 99% of the people who sign up end up not doing all of it to get the iPod. If a choice between working and doing all the crap to get the iPod, working is a better deal.

I have a friend who's gotten tons of monitors, ipods, etc from these offers, but he's also very careful, and he actually started running one of those services himself, and he's selling the software he wrote to run such sites.

synchro
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2006, 6:38 pm

Neuroman wrote:
Probably the ones where you refer other people who refer other people would work, but I am the classic AS person with no friends. I couldn't find one other person who would be willing to do this. Some of the sites ask you to refer five people.

I can't vouch for this as I haven't tried it, but if you don't have five friends to sign up this seems to be an answer:

Free iPod Conga Line

There are links there to a plethora of "free" offers. The site claims you only have to complete one offer, but they make no suggestion as to what the offer may entail.