Feeling hurried in situations which are not hurried?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

GreenhouseGashes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Mar 2014, 10:18 pm

In the aspie quiz there was a question that asked something like "do you often feel rushed in situations which are not hurried?"
Is this a common feature of autism spectrum? Or, is it perhaps a neurotypical pattern?

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2014, 11:06 pm

Within most of the jobs that I have held thus far I've been told to go faster, even though taking ones' time, and therefore getting it right the first time, was a far more productive approach in all of those situations.
I like to take my time, and I don't like being rushed, but too many workplaces emphasise quantity, even at the expense of quality, and that to me makes no sense whatsoever.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 12:59 pm

The only area where that applies to me is when it comes to walking. I am always walking fast, even if I'm not in a rush. If I get stuck behind slow people, I get agitated.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 2:16 pm

No idea. I like to take my time. I find it more productive and much less stressful allowing me to enjoy the activity whilst still getting excellent results where possible.

VisInsita
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Mar 2014, 2:30 pm

It does apply to me. Besides the sense of hurry I am also naturally a “fast” person – fast talker, walker, thinker etc.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 2:35 pm

I hate being rushed, and I sometimes feel anxious and rushed even when there's no need to be. I prefer taking things slowly and at a relaxed pace, but it feels like everyone else around me is content to constantly be going at 100MPH.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 4:40 pm

Lintar wrote:
Within most of the jobs that I have held thus far I've been told to go faster, even though taking ones' time, and therefore getting it right the first time, was a far more productive approach in all of those situations.
I like to take my time, and I don't like being rushed, but too many workplaces emphasise quantity, even at the expense of quality, and that to me makes no sense whatsoever.

Same for me with certain jobs I've had. They were always pushing me to go faster but I had a process or routine to how I would do things and I didn't want to take any shortcuts.