Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Does not be bothered by bad spelling and grammar make you "unaspie?"
Yes 15%  15%  [ 7 ]
No, but it is uncommon 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
No, you can still have AS and not be bothered by spelling and grammar 76%  76%  [ 35 ]
Total votes : 46

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 11:02 pm

I must not be an aspie. Bad grammar and spelling are supposed to make aspies squirm but is has never bothered me. In fact, I often don't notice mistakes. I am also really bad at it, which is totally unaspie. Someone once told me that I was spelling words wrong on purpose because I have AS and their son has AS and was a 3 time spelling bee winner.

Once, someone posted something about a minor mistake they made on twitter, correcting it, and I actually had to go back and look for it and couldn't find it, but it was there. No one in my family is a very good speller either.

People automatically think that because I have AS, I am a good speller, but no. Sometimes, spellcheck doesn't even have the word I am looking for, that's how bad I am.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Evinceo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 May 2012, 11:30 pm

I'm interested in grammar, but spelling has always been one of my weak points.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 11:46 pm

I can't bring myself to defend "proper" spelling when English spellings and pronunciations are so variable and arbitrary that they might as well be misspellings. Improper grammar doesn't bother me either. In fact, I approve of improper grammar when it makes things shorter and easier to say, without taking away from the meaning.

Languages evolve through misspellings, improper grammar, and people just making crap up. The English language as we know it wouldn't exist today without mistakes like those.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2012, 11:53 pm

I R no-care about bad grammar and spelling either. Bad grammar and spelling R no-bother me at all.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 12:07 am

Bad grammar and spelling EATS me alive! Arrghh!!

MrBackward
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 May 2012, 12:12 am

It depends on the day I suppose. Somedays bad grammer and spelling really annoys me and others it doesn't. I tend to find that text language annoys me the most though.
When they start using lol's and brb's sometimes I feel like going all donkey kong on their ass.

iggy64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 May 2012, 12:58 am

ocdgirl123 wrote:
Sometimes, spellcheck doesn't even have the word I am looking for, that's how bad I am

That would be similar to my spelling standard if I'm not either typing with autocorrect (picks up you're spelling an unknown word before you've even finished it half the time)or doing some intense proof reading. My spelling can get pretty bad, and my school made me do dyslexia tests for around 4years straight, which is kind of stupid, if you ask me, since I had a reading level above my age at the time.

I am quite a perfectionist, but try to refrain myself from correcting people's grammar (once someone told me people don't like that) although I can't help myself if they make the "their, they're there" mistake, because that is the worst mistake ever, in my mind. Fortunately for those around me, I don't actually have a very thorough education of the finer aspects of grammar, so I don't know too many complicated grammar points myself so I can't correct them. :P

As for quick chat, I can speak simple quick chat online, such as 'brb' or 'rofl' but I don't like shorthand game-specific things, that gets stupid and confusing.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

25 May 2012, 1:02 am

I resist the urge to be a grammar Nazi frequently, and I just leave anything that doesn't make sense alone.

Zinia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 May 2012, 1:08 am

UnLoser wrote:
I can't bring myself to defend "proper" spelling when English spellings and pronunciations are so variable and arbitrary that they might as well be misspellings. Improper grammar doesn't bother me either. In fact, I approve of improper grammar when it makes things shorter and easier to say, without taking away from the meaning.

Languages evolve through misspellings, improper grammar, and people just making crap up. The English language as we know it wouldn't exist today without mistakes like those.

I agree with this. I'm an English major so stereotypes dictate that I should be super grammar/spelling Nazi. But I'm not.

Written language is the mistress of oral language--it doesn't exist without it. Oral language flows and changes, and shouldn't be considered "wrong" if it deviates from previously established "rules" (like dialect or slang).

Plus, as was said before--the true purpose of language is understanding. If someone uses language (poor spelling or grammar) as a means to refuse to understand someone (by being a Nazi about it) then they aren't really adhering to the whole purpose of language anyway--which is to help us understand each other.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 1:30 am

Am I the only aspie who has a co-morbid learning disorder that has bad grammar and spelling? Wow, seems to bother everyone else?

Banquo
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 May 2012, 2:12 am

I cannot abide poor grammar and spelling. While I understand typos, they are not hard to spot and correct.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 2:41 am

Quote:
Does not be bothered by bad spelling and grammar make you "unaspie?"

What sort of grammar is the above?

EQ: 6.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2012, 2:53 am

My mistakes do; others' not.

Whose -- who's, etc

The Homophones are one of my 'Achilles.'

AussieMatty
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 May 2012, 2:56 am

I feel annoyed about my grammar and spelling issues. Unintentionally I puts me into bad position especially essay and report writing here at uni. So, its my 4th and final year now and the problem is still going and going. Highest grade I got was a D+ (distinction = B++ in American terms). I always hang around with a pass and low end credit. Each essays and reports are focused on my poor expression and stuff.

I always use the learning skills people. But still, being an aspie it does not help it! Arghh wonder how I get a job :(

Chris71
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 May 2012, 3:40 am

Bad grammar and spelling do make me squirm.

I think this is more prevalent in the English language, compared to say, French or other European languages where there is a cultural attachment to their own language and they feel a need to speak it properly, as well as deriving pleasure from correcting each other over the tiniest mistakes.
In contrast, the English language has become a tool around much of the World for "getting the message across", with little cultural attachment to the language.

The reason why some people in Continental Europe think of English being an easy language, is because English-speakers typically tolerate extremely bad use of the language. They can visit the US or UK , make lots of mistakes in English, and nobody will correct them because they don't care. An English-native expat living in France will probably have the opposite experience.

So basically, a smaller proportion of English speakers really care about grammar and punctuation.

yondoloki
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 May 2012, 4:11 am

Just because you're an aspie doesn't mean your abilities lie in language. It's just like other people who have their strong and week points. You can have weak and strong points. I have some strength in language, but if you ask me to add or anything math related I am blank. Other people can have it the same way with language.
And to answer the question: I notice some grammar and spelling mistakes but it's more like I see it and then move on.

Sorry if I got a bit sidetracked....

Without love and disarming beauty
- Tuomas Holopainen, Nightwish