Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Apocatastasis
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Aug 2009, 2:22 am

I find that, when I day dream, instead of just seeing it in my head and hearing things said, it's more like a novel. As in..
I see it in my head but it is narrated like:
Example--> "I'm going over there", said Mary as she looked at the tree.

I hear that ENTIRE thing in my head, not just "I'm going over there" and seeing it happen in my head.
Or something.

Am I crazy?

GreenGrrl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Aug 2009, 4:51 am

Are you an avid fiction novel reader? Maybe it's made an impact on the way you think. But it doesn't sound like a bad thing; it might even make you a really good author if you can use your imagination like that! Is it kind of like a movie in your head with narration from a third person perpective?

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Aug 2009, 5:11 am

I used to think my daydreaming was weird or maybe just bad somehow, but now I know it's the creative impulse. Also daydreaming can be interpreted the same way as night dreaming - the subconscious trying to communicate with the conscious. Which is another form of creativity.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2009, 6:27 am

My daydreams and usually my night dreams are more like directing a movie. I will do several "takes" before I'm satisfied. In my night dreams I do this although I rarely realize that I'm dreaming.

misslottie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2009, 6:28 am

no, why crazy? its interesting, if anything.
do you write?
i am sometimes annoyingly easily influenced, so that when reading certain books i can unconsciously pick up speach patterns, turns of phrase, ways of walking etc- im rather lucious malfoy this week. its quite cool. 8)

when i daydream it, i hear it all in the usual way, but mouth, silently, all the replies i make.

THAT looks crazy when walking down a crowded street! :oops:

Ruaridh
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Aug 2009, 6:38 am

Apocatastasis wrote:
I see it in my head but it is narrated

I get something similar ... next time I'm daydreaming I'll try to notice what's going on.

Often when I'm thinking something through it's as though I'm giving a lecture and "seeing" a form of presentation. And yes, there are "asides" in the "words" that I'm "hearing".

During my diagnosis, describing this phenomenon was one of the very few thing that made me truly uncomfortable. Two different doctors wrote stuff in his book and said some thing to the effect of: "So, you hear voices: tell me more about that".

In the same way that I don't actually see the things that I'm thinking about (I "envision" them): I don't hear a voice. The unpleasant part is that occasionally the "voice" will ask a question of me ... but who, in this context is "me", I thought that "I" was the one giving the lecture ... There then can follow an entangled inner dialogue that makes me worry about my sanity. I also loose my place in the "lecture".

However, I talked this through honestly and openly with the doctors and - in the end - neither had any concern about it.

Apocatastasis wrote:
Am I crazy?

Mibbys "aye" and mibbys "no". [ An old Scots phrase that implies that the point is still moot.]

There's not enough information to tell ... and anyway, I'm not qualified.

Aimless wrote:
My daydreams and usually my night dreams are more like directing a movie. I will do several "takes" before I'm satisfied. In my night dreams I do this although I rarely realize that I'm dreaming.

Me too.

misslottie wrote:

when i daydream it, i hear it all in the usual way, but mouth, silently, all the replies i make.

THAT looks crazy when walking down a crowded street! :oops:

I can relate to that too.

Aspie score: 130 of 200

Ubuntu for the Internet, Windows for music production

Apocatastasis
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Aug 2009, 3:57 pm

GreenGrrl wrote:
Are you an avid fiction novel reader? Maybe it's made an impact on the way you think. But it doesn't sound like a bad thing; it might even make you a really good author if you can use your imagination like that! Is it kind of like a movie in your head with narration from a third person perpective?

I read a lot of fiction in the past. Now it's more of non-fiction.
It's exactly like a movie in my head from a third person perspective!

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2009, 6:03 pm

I don't think that is completely unusual. My thoughts are sometimes in the 3rd person and they're all as if I'm typing.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 11:29 am

I don't think it's crazy. The way I see it, we all daydream in our own different way. For example, I usually daydream in cartoon style.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

79datsun
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Aug 2009, 11:53 am

I always day dream...

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2009, 10:37 pm

Aimless wrote:

+1.

but I also lucid dream with varying levels of control. so sometimes my dreams are exactly like a movie.

Jerry123
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Aug 2009, 3:11 pm

79datsun wrote:
I always day dream...

So do I...

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 10:44 am

I don't seem to have daydreams at all, though I don't suppose there's anything particularly weird about having them in book format as opposed to movie format.

Sometimes I think briefly about some future goal or other, but it has to be at least theoretically attainable, so I guess that's more anticipation than daydreaming.

I don't really see the point of daydreaming. I think I'd rather act on the real world to try and make that more to my liking. I don't think I could suspend my disbelief with a daydream, there'd always be something inside me saying that it wasn't real.

Strange because I love night-dreaming, and have in the past dabbled with hallucinogens for recreational pleasure, though they never exactly made me hallucinate. I've got nothing against the idea of daydreaming, I just don't do it myself. Actually many of my night dreams are remarkably logical, but not always.

I remember when they first screened Jonathan Miller's version of Alice In Wonderland in 1966......I was fascinated by it, and wanted to lose myself in the story, but somehow I just couldn't. It seems I'm doomed to the real world :cry:

Ralou

01 Sep 2009, 11:02 am

I grew up daydreaming in third person. I think it's all the novels I read. I thought I was the only one!

Victor
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Sep 2009, 12:31 pm

I do the exact same thing, although when I am not paying attention I tend to start muttering the lines to myself. I have used this to help me write stories, both fiction and otherwise, with some success. I think reading a lot taught me to think that way so easily and thinking that way taught me to write so easily. It just sort of come out. You should try it.

nettiespaghetti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2009, 6:57 pm

I do this too sometimes. I seem to remember daydreaming so much more when I was younger (and yes I did read a lot of fiction!) I think at that time it was a way of dissociating from my crappy reality (home life sucked, school sucked). I still find myself doing it from time to time though and every once in a while it will be with that dialogue such as "she was shocked at what she saw" or something like that :)